An Elementary Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on CBS (Returning October 2, 2016)
Ever since Moonlighting, detective couples on TV have been actual couples dating through their cases, trying their best to avoid the settled stage Bones, Castle or The Mentalist only achieve in its final seasons. No character ever questioned their passion for work because the writers used it as euphemism for actual passion for one another.

Elementary, on the other hand, chose to focus on a domestic partnership that doesn't feel threaten to explore a life of meaning: Joan shouldn't be the only one who knows Sherlock, he shouldn't be the only one who gets to wake her up every morning - a point cleverly made with Clyde's assistance - they shouldn't have to cut off themselves from the rest of the world to be engaged in creating a life that's actually worth living in.

poll

Comments (38)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Speaking of awkward first times, I do wonder what it says of Joan that Sherlock's "first time" with a mind capable to murder was a woman, and "the one" was also the woman, Irene Moriarty?

Does this mean Elementary's Watson is capable of murder too, that she somehow killed her patient? Is there any other reason Shelock would feel such a strong connection to her? And if so, what is it?
Flag
I think it's refreshing to be perfectly honest! Besides, I think Sherlock would be a hard man to try and have a healthy relationship with. At the moment Joan Watson, as his friend and companion, is humanising him. Making him better. I think romance would just screw that up.
Flag
Sherlock on drugs must have been impossible to live with if Mycroft & Moriarty are any hint.

But characters like Miss Hudson & Alfredo make me believe there's more to Sherlock than a drug problem or a failed romance; he can take care of Clyde, he can nurture a relationship , he can mend his life if he puts his mind to it.
Flag
I do think they have a unique dynamic on television. I'll start off by saying that in life, relationships don't fall into neat categories. Just because they don't wanna bone each other doesn't mean they are "just friends", the emotional bond those two share is theirs and theirs alone and therefor unique.
There are plenty of shows where the romantic relationship is explored, some even handle it well (I personally love watching Castle now that he and Beckett have gotten together. Nothing is lost, they're the same ol' goobers in love with each other), but in this show it just isn't even a question. The looks exchanged are those of people who love and respect each other, now I hope most couples have this as well, but Holmes and Watson lack the lust that is needed to create good sexual tension.

For me it's as simple as: if Watson had been a man I would have probably shipped the shit out of them, but thankfully Lucy Liu was cast as Watson and I can now freely enjoy the non-romantic relationship between her and Holmes.
Flag
What I like the most is not that Joan is a woman, but that they took the time to earn the relationship.

Sherlock never skipped a step with her, she didn't jump to trust him, so they grew organically into a settled dynamic that was as rewarding for them as characters as it was convincing for me as a viewer.
Flag
I like their relationship as it is. As Kaytori said i hope the writers won't cross the line.
Flag
That's the point I guess: its not meant to be liked the way it is. Where Joan and Sherlock's dynamic is alright just the way they are, detective dynamics are meant with an specific goal in mind (get the characters together).

Sherlock and Joan are not waiting for something to happen between them, they are already making things happen together and that puts a whole new spin on the genre.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I like that their friends and not lovers I hope and pray that will not change.

Castle, Bones, I stopped watching those shows when the line was crossed because when it is it always becomes more about the drama that relationship creates and not the mystery or the drama about the other aspects of their lives everything else plays second fiddle to the romance.

So I'm really hoping that line won't be crossed.
Flag
they are = they're not their
Flag
I don't see them as lovers or friends with benefits, they just know each other too well for it.
Flag
I know that's what I was saying, I don't see them as lovers or friends with benefits but really good friends.

But knowing the trends in TV of turning mystery dramas into romance dramas I still half expect that to change, I just really hope it doesn't.
Flag
What I'm trying to say is that they know each other too well for friends either: lovers implies a sense of mystery that they don't keep between them, they are too open with each other for plain friends too, but the confidence they have does not extend to a sexual level so I can't label them as friends with benefits either.

They are...familiar, sometimes they are recognizable spouses compromising with life, sometimes parents concerned about the world they leave behind, sometimes they are orphans trying to make sense of any given crime and truly relatable no matter how they chose to react.
Flag
Just mind that the other couples that you were talking about above (from the other shows) they didn't relate sexually neither. They all started as good friends, because it is a long race of several seasons, and as friends, they shared everything and got to know each other very deeply. Lisbon has been more like a mother or a sister to Jayne in The Mentalist. There has never been any obvious sexual spark.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
we all hoped all the time, and then it changed - so cross fingers for brother and sister relationship, but this is just starting and there is already a major bunch of followers that are totally for romance (since episode one, actually, you can read the comments on the reviews here if you think I'm making this up).

It is very similar at the mentalist, and nothing romantic has happened so far (and we are in season 6), they have been brother and sister all this time (because also, like in Elementary, the male character has been broken all this time from a prior dramatic relationship).
Flag
What do you mean "chasing" each other? I don't understand what that means. In Bones and in The Mentalist, they work as partners and complement each other with their different skills. That's how the shows are built. Same as in Elementary. Can you give an example of what "chasing" means, so that I can understand?

Flag
To me, the main difference is that there's always someone chasing the other in the detective genre, if its not Castle chasing Beckett then its Lisbon chasing Jane or Booth and Brennan taking turns at chasing each other.

Joan and Sherlock do not chase one another, she's always available to him and he's always responsive to her, whenever they change directions they do so together, if they get lost they are lost together. They are each other's sanctum sanctorum of you will.
Flag
I could not disagree more. Elementary is not a revolutionary show in any way, specially not in the detective dynamics. You have said that yourself like a million times by now. This show is about a man and a woman, and their relationship getting deeper. Like a huge, enourmous cliche of a detective cross-gendered couple.

Brenan (from Bones) and Lisbon (from The Mentalist) are NOT any different from Watson. They are strong, smart, independent woman that have a very big interest in their careers. They question all kind of things during the course of their respective series. Including their passion for their job, what is right and wrong, and everything else. And they solve cases without the need of a Sherlock that teaches them how to do it, because they have their OWN careers and jobs, thank you very much.

It is really amazing for me that you really think this show is sooo very different from any other "couple of detectives" procedural. Because it is JUST the same. And I still have to see how they manage not to get into the "unreleased sexual tension" thing.

More+
Flag
I like this show and the dynamic between Holmes and Watson I can't see anything but friendship at least that's what I hope, I don't want them to go into anything more as it wouldn't be true to there characters, I see Holmes cares for Joan more as a sister.
Flag
A sister wouldn't consume Sherlock the way that Joan does and he knows it, which is why he accepted the challenge in the first place.

I'd say it was not about selling yourself to strangers for him, Sherlock wasn't really over Moriarty or else Joan wouldn't have caught him reading Irene's letter.
Flag
I agree with you there he is still very much in love with Irene because she still managed to surprise him and every one else with being Moriarty. I liked her character. I can see we're you coming from in regards to Joan she challenges him and brings out his humanity
Flag
I still don't believe that Irene is Moriarty.
Flag
I had troubles believing she loved Holmes myself, at least until Moriarty started sending those letters.
Flag
She was very convincing
Flag
I'd say Irene will always be able to surprise him, from being a criminal mastermind to actually have feelings for him, the last thing Sherlock expected was to fall in love with Moriarty or that Moriarty would love him back.

It almost feel like Sherlock didn't want the same thing that happened to him would happen to Watson, which is frankly impossible (How many criminal masterminds could be out there?).
Flag
It was reassuring to read the interview with JLM where he categorically denies any future romantic involvement between Holmes and Watson. That would have been a huge mistake. But, being the intelligent show this is, the writers have of course already figured that out a long time ago...
Flag
I do like how he sees the dynamic as sacred, Joan and Sherlock are groundbreaking because there is no tension between them.

They embrace what they have instead to delay it.
Flag
Actually I love it. Bonds & commitment
Flag
I agree. Sherlock feels engaged enough to explore the options presented by Joan, which enhances what they have rather than diminish it.
Flag
I like it, it's something new. You don't see that very often anymore.
Flag
I particularly liked how Joan put it because she's sharing Sherlock with the world, not nagging about her social life.

I believe this is the first Watson that ever does that.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm