An Elementary Community
Monday 10:00 PM on CBS
Warning:
This will be one of my "There was so much in this episode that I couldn't decide what to focus on so I just write a short paragraph about everything" reviews.

First, I enjoyed "Breathe" a lot. It was a highly entertaining episode seasoned with very well written dialogues and just the right amount of humour and emotion. We are through a bit more than half of the Season now but I more and more think that it might be the best one. The show seams to age like good wine what leads me to the first topic:

1. Wines, aromas and glasses
I like how much Elementary pays attention to details and of course the wine bottle at the crime scene had the right shape and the label was indeed Italian. The scene was published as a Sneak Peek and when you stop the video at the right moment it is possible to read at least part of the label.
It states that the wine has an aroma of black cherry and goes well with roast meat, game and cheese. I had never heard of Sciacchetra before and I wondered if it existed, so I looked it up on the internet. It does. And it is indeed a sweet wine as Sherlock said in the episode.
This means the label on the bottle at the crime scene cannot be that of a Sciacchetra as it is drunk to desserts and has a distinct aroma of apricot and hazelnut. I assume it belongs to a dry red wine like a Pinot Nero, the one Medina ordered at the restaurant.
After seeing the Sneak Peek I jokingly asked on Twitter why the assassin hadn't used this wine instead of Sciacchetra as Pinot Nero has an aroma of almonds. Well, now I know and I wonder if the wrong label was put on the bottle on purpose.
Oh, about the glasses. As much as I dislike the character of Medina I have to agree with him on one point. It makes a huge difference out of which glass you drink your wine. Try it.

2. Good, Bad and Inbetween
There were two situations in the episode that illustrate the title of that column.
Gregson and Bell have invited the FBI agent who was on the case of Leland Frisk and when the captain tells her that Frisk was murdered she says:

"You're thinking my investigation tipped Frisk's killer? If it did, I'll sleep fine.
That guy had decades of blood on his hands. Trust me, no one's shedding a tear for Leland Frisk."

Gregson answers:

"But whoever killed him has hired a hit man at least once, and murdered him.
I'd say he's one more person we need to get off the streets.
Wouldn't you?"

Someone who as killed another person is a murderer no matter how bad the person was he has killed. There is no such thing as legitimate murder. By the way that's why I never could get myself to watch Dexter. In my eyes he is as bad as the lot he has killed.

In another scene Sherlock tells Joan about Frisk's crusade and says that he obviously wanted to do something good Joan replies:

"Was he being noble? I'm just saying, I mean, getting rid of Medina would have helped a lot of people, but it's possible that Frisk was only thinking of his own son."

Sherlock's answer to that is as short as it is striking:
"Does it matter?"

In fact it doesn't.
Even if Frisk only thought of his own son, he wouldn't be the only one to profit from Medina being out of the way. It could help thousands of other people who wouldn't have to buy overexpensive drugs anymore.

Bad people can do good things. In fact most of them sometimes do. That doesn't make them good people but it shows that they care about one thing or the other, that they are not completely without morals.

3. Orphan Drugs
There are about 7000 rare diseases, a lot of them of genetic origin, of which only very few have a cure. So the lives of people suffering from orphan diseases literally depends on the accessibility of certain drugs.
There is one problem though.
As there are only very few patients there is not much profit in the development of those drugs. So pharmaceutical companies are very reluctant to put money into it. If they do they have to be sure that they get redeemed .
This means that drugs that were especially developed for a certain rare disease like for example Cystic Fibrosis must be more expensive than others.
There is nothing wrong with that.
But there are also so called off-label meds. And this is where people like Medina come in. Some drugs that were developed for other more common diseases can be used to treat orphan diseases as well. When someone knows that he could buy the rights to produce this drug and make it much more expensive. There are in all likelihood alternative products to treat the common disease but not the rare one. So the patients with the rare disease would still have to buy it, no matter how much it cost.

4. Joan, Sherlock and the problem with the adoption agency
The initial scene demonstrates Sherlock's anxiety issues very well. Although Joan is the one who wants to adopt she is very calm concerning the visit of the case worker whereas Sherlock has thought everything through very thoroughly
He has looked up all the safety devices on the internet, checking them for safety and worries about the grids of his locks being a potential danger to a child. To be able to cope with the situation he has to be perfect, because he believes that he always does everything wrong and if something happened he would be responsible.
And of course he cannot stay out of the conflict between Joan and her lawyer. He cares too much about her to not do anything.
His solution is very elegant and the conversation with King Wilhelm is very enlightening, too.
Did you notice how friendly the old man is to Sherlock? How much he pay sattention to making Sherlock aware that he appreciates him and trusts his opinion?
And when he says he had always envied Morland for his sons he immediately relativizes his statement.
He must know the family well and also how Morland treated his sons.
He is very careful to give Sherlock the feeling that he is valued, something his father is sorely lacking.
In the final scene it becomes clear how deep the wounds of the maltreatment still are.
When Joan suggests that her child could call him Uncle Sherlock, he answers that he has been called worse things. For him his name has no ring to it at all. It is connected exclusively to negative experience. So it is no wonder that he prefers to be called Uncle Detective, something he feels comfortable with as it gives him a sense of confidence

Picture:
By Mad City Bastard [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Links:
Sciacchetrà

Types of Wine Glasses ( it's a webstore but I couldn't find a better guide) https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/580/types-of-wine-glasses.html

1 Comment
Comments (1)
Submit
Sep 27, 2018
It seems to me that in such cases it is necessary to apply to good lawyers. Such cases can turn into a big problem. And if I were in their place, I would at least turn to the company Jaeleelaw for advice. At least for advice.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members