An Elementary Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS
"In all the ways that matter I know him better."
- Odin Reichenbach
Now that I wrote the quote down I realise that it would make an excellent line of a song.

What do you say?
This has no relevance for the episode?
Yes. OK. Let's get to the point.

Odin Reichenbach claims that he knows Sherlock Holmes and that he can handle him.
This is a pretty arrogant statement but I guess it's symptomatic for men of his profession.
People like him believe that they rule the world, that they can get everything they want and most of the time they are right.
What he doesn't take into consideration though and what probably will be his downfall in the end is the fact that there are people that are not corruptible, that you cannot manipulate.
Sherlock is one of them. He makes this absolutely clear towards McNally as well as to Reichenbach.
So why does the mogul still believe otherwise?

Because he doesn't know Sherlock as well as he thinks he does.
He might know a lot about the detective's successes and his modus operandi, he might know who his allies and friends are and maybe even what things he buys on the internet but what algorithms and computer programmes cannot do is look into peoples' souls.

This is also the reason why Odin's method to prevent future crimes is error-prone, "bugged" as Sherlock called it.
The example of the bus driver is an excellent one. The woman never really wanted to kill herself and the children. She had a psychological problem, she wasn't a criminal or a terrorist. She would have deserved help.
It is not without reason that a psychiatrist is only allowed to make a diagnosis after having met a patient eye to eye.

But this is not the only problem with Reichenbach's approach, there are at least two more.
One is the fact that people get executed that haven't actually committed any crime.
Of course you can argue that they might have killed many other people but the crucial word here is might, they didn't do it and who knows maybe they would have changed their minds in the last second apart from the fact that in my opinion nobody deserves to die but I know that this is a controversial standpoint, especially in the US, so I will not comment on that any further.

The other issue is that Reichenbach recruits people for the murders by manipulating them. It is one thing wanting to prevent future crimes, it is a completely different thing not doing the killing of the potential killers yourself but turning others into your tools. They are the ones who will have to take the consequences when they get arrested, not Reichenbach.
He is exploiting them for his profit even if he claims it to be for a higher cause.

Profiting from others is by the way a core topic of the episode.

Dr. Burgess treated Baron but he also used him as a lab rat to develop a drug that could be worth millions without even telling him about it.

Tessa Pritchmark took advantage of no less than three people or maybe two and a half. She dated Baron Wright to get pregnant, she never loved him, she just wanted the money which he didn't know about in the first place and then she blackmailed Davis Whitmark into becoming an acomplice of sorts of her plot. But the most despicable thing is that she obviously doesn't care about her unborn child at all.
It is just a means to an end for her.

And then of course there is Agent Mc Nally. He hasn't exactly been Sherlock's friend but over the years has become an ally to the detective. Sherlock trusted him, something that's not easy for him as we know.
Being used and then getting abandoned when no longer useful is a central element of Sherlock's life what makes this betrayal especially mean and moving but it brings us back to the argument at the beginning of this review.

I said that Odin Reichenbach doesn't know Sherlock as well as he thinks he does, because what makes Sherlock weak also makes him incredibly strong in another sense.
Getting disappointed and put aside by people over and over again lead to him becoming a fierce warrior for justice. He will not deviate from this path one iota. Trying to force him to do so will only increase his commitment to bring that person down, threatening the people he loves even more so. You just have to take a look at his face in that scene:

(Scenephoto from Command:Delete, CBS Studios 2019)
He will never surrender. Odin Reichenbach is wrong to think he can handle Sherlock. In the end the detective will handle him.

Photo credit: IT Liquidators [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
2 Comments
Comments (2)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jul 10, 2019
It was expected, actually. Well, all the same, I don’t have time for TV shows right now, I’m trying to learn how to make money online by betting on sports. I found this bookmaker here http://1xbet-ke.org/. I heard that this is a reliable bookmaker company, so let's see how much money I can earn on it
Flag
Jul 04, 2019
There is no doubt Sherlock will do what it takes to take down Odin. What bothered me is he is hiding the truth from Watson and while I understand the reasons, Watson is without a doubt the one person he could truly trust. She has the same feelings for justice that Sherlock displays. Odin started a fight that he will lose in the end, but I do wonder about the cost to Sherlock.
I recently been rewatching Person of Interest, and the similarities of what Odin is doing. In the show it was the US government that hunted down and eliminated potential terrorists based on the information and eventually they became so obsessed with keeping the source secret they killed anyone looking into the source. While the similarities are there, your points about Odin are right on and you wonder if Odin will decide in the end to actually act on any of his threats against Sherlock.
Another good review for an interesting last season, looking forward to the next.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members