An Elementary Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS
This week’s episode was written by Sean Bennett, who has been Robert Doherty’s assistant since 2014. It’s his first script for the show and I think he did a very good job.
The main plot was well constructed and had just enough twists to keep you interested.
It took Sherlock’s chemical expertise and the discovery that the two victims were childhood acquaintances to solve the mystery. But that’s not what I found most intriguing about the episode, it was the subplot about Captain Dwyer’s misconduct and Gregson’s reaction to it. The fact that the story was written by a man makes it even more relevant.

We get to know from Captain Gregson that Dwyer has a reputation of sexual harassment of women and that he is still on probation for the last incident.During the five episodes Dwyer was leading the precinct there wasn’t a single hint that he wasn’t the righteous policeman he seemed to be, even Sherlock and Joan didn’t notice anything. I think that was exactly the point. It was to express that the harassment of women at the workplace is an everyday phenomenon with men thinking that such a behaviour is acceptable.The conversation between Gregson and Bree Novacek reveals the problem.

Novacek:
“This thing you think happened to me – we go to EEO, do you honestly think it’s not gonna happen to anyone else?“

Gregson:
„Dwyer’ll be gone.“

Novacek:
„I’m not talking about him. I am talking about all the others.
Dwyer goes down, do you really think that’s gonna change anything, that this department’s gonna suddenly stop being a boys‘ club? To be clear, you’re not part of the problem. I meant everything that I said the other day. The best boss I ever had. But I’ve been a cop for 17 years now. And in my experience, you are the exception, not the rule.“

Gregson:
„The culture you’re talking about, Bree, there’s only one way to change it“.

It takes a lot of courage to stand up against this „boy’s club“ behaviour but Gregson is right it is the only way to change it. Woman have to react against harassment so that the men involved understand that it is not OK what they do. But it also takes men like Tommy Gregson to support them. Only then things can really change. Addressing the problem like Bennet did here is a start.

There is another scene I want to talk about, the one in the morgue at the beginning because it reveals a lot about Sherlock’s current state of mind and because it contains a comparison that, when you think about it a bit, is an amazingly accurate one.

At the end of last episode it was revealed that Agent McNally has betrayed Sherlock, that he is part of Reichenbach’s cabal. This obviously had consequences for Sherlock’s mental health.

When Hawes talks about The Wire, the detective, as he knows nearly nothing about TV and pop culture, realises that all the other people in the room share an understanding he is excluded from. This evidently triggers something in Sherlock, because when shortly afterwards Bell mentions Scrooge McDuck he asks in a rather aggressive tone of voice who or what that is. He is lucky to be in company of friends who know not to take those outbursts personally and also how to react to them.
Joan calmly replies that he should picture his father but as a duck, what takes me to my earlier statement. I read the quote on Twitter before I watched the episode and realised that the comparison made by Watson is more fitting than you first think. Let’s have a look at the duck’s character.

Scrooge Mc Duck

1. - extremely rich
  2. - harsh treatment of the people around him
  3. - always tells everybody what they did wrong
  4. - never tells anybody that he is proud of them or gives praise
  5. - Donald, his nephew, can make as much an effort as he likes, he will still never get Scrooge’s recognition
  6. - constantly shows and tells Donald that he considers him a complete failure. 

Result: an insecure person who has difficulties to believe in himself and who gets easily stressed.
  7. - knowing more about him you realise that besides the bad treatment of his relatives he deeply cares about them.

No further comment.

I will leave you for this week with an interesting fact for which you can find several examples throughout all the seasons of Elementary.

When there is disorder and chaos in Sherlock’s brain he tries to cope with it by establishing an order somewhere else, mostly by adjusting something at his home or in his work.

0 Comments
Comments
Submit
There are no comments yet. Be the first by writing down your thoughts above.
Follow this Show
Members