An Elementary Community
Monday 10:00 PM on CBS
I had to attend a conference today, so I have to write this review with a bit less research than I usually do, but I will include some links to the topics of today's episode at the end, so that you can explore for yourselves.

Sherlock once said that he was a man of details and I am too (though not a man) as you might have already noticed, so this review will be focused on the ones I liked the most in this episode, but not without telling my overall opinion first.

I think the episode was very well written with an interesting plot that immediately caught my attention and was able to hold it until the very end.
There are various reasons for that.
First, the denouement was not foreseeable. The motive for the murder remained in the dark for a very long time although Joan had had the right idea about why Ando Azuma had been killed.
Second, the best known guest star was not the murderer this time and last but not least the humour. There has been quite an amount of it this Season already but this episode killed it in the dialogues as well as in the acting. I loved the scene in which General Alvero reveals his peculiar hobby. Sherlock's looks were absolutely priceless and let's be honest Bell's line " So the pinky was a thumb drive" is genius.

I nearly forgot to say something about Michael. Now we finally know that he is a murderer. That raises the question why he wants Sherlock to chase him. The plot thickens. I am looking forward to the following episodes and how the story will be resolved in the end.

Now on to the details that stuck with me...

The Boat Scene
Yes, the boat scene is one of them but not because of the guy that got stuck in the boat (which reminds me of an amazing children's book by Oliver Jeffers, which has nothing to do with what I actually want to write about), but for the fact that even in a situation where it doesn't seem very important, consistency is paid attention to.
When Eddie Dunbridge supposedly shoots at Marcus and Sherlock and they hide behind a container, Sherlock's face is twisted in pain. The loud noise of the shots fired, obviously triggered a headache, plus Sherlock's breathing gets more and more heavy although there is no imminent danger anymore, what is typical for anxiety attacks. They build up slowly.

Mason
I had already seen the first appearance of Mason because it was one of the sneak peeks for this episode and I immediately understood the reason why Sherlock seemed to downplay Mason's abilities.
It really often is the case with gifted people that they need to feel challenged to perform at their best. While a lot of others would give up after such a comment, gifted individuals develop the ambition to show what they are capable of. I guess Sherlock knows that from his own experience.

Tracking Shots

Give me the Finger marks Jonny Lee Miller's directorial debut for TV and I think he has done a very good job.
There were two tracking shots I found particularly beautiful.
The first one is the initial scene. It was filmed in style of a Western duel, which I consider an interesting choice.
In my opinion it underlines perfectly the meaning of the situation for Hannah. With only seeing the shoes and not knowing who this person is, not even if it is a man or a woman, you can tell that the person is in a situation she or he feels uncomfortable in, reluctant to do something that obviously needs to be done. Another message you can get out of that scene is that you often can't tell by their appearance if someone is an addict. Hannah's shoes shine and her uniform is perfectly in order, yet she is an alcoholic as there are probably people you know you would never expect to be.
If we look at it the other way around this means that not every beggar on the street will spend the money you give to him or her on booze. Please consider this the next time a homeless person asks you for some coins and maybe show some kindness, if you don't do anyhow.

The second tracking shot I think was amazing is the one in the gym. The moment the body guard leans against the wall, the camera moves sideward into the next room closing in on the conversation between Sherlock, Joan and the Yakuza. Although it was very short it caught my eye. It reminded me of the revolving stage in a theatre, where the next room is revealed by turning the stage.

The conversation between Sherlock and Gregson

"Look, my father was an abject failure as both a parent and a human being, but when it came to my own struggles, he did one thing right.
He kept my recovery about me.
You're ten times the man that he is, so if he can do right by me, I'm confident that you can do right by Hannah-- but only once you move past blame."

In last week's episode Bell commented on Sherlock being short on social skills.
Scenes like this one prove that the opposite is the case.
When necessary and when feeling sufficiently safe with someone, Sherlock is able to help them cope, even when it means talking about something extremely personal.

That's all for today. See you next week.

Links:
Yakuza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/15/asia/yakuza-yamaguchi-gumi-explainer/index.html
Manufacturing of Paper Money
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Paper-Currency.html
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-material-is-used-to-print-currency.html
Legacy Technology running Nuclear Program
https://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/index.html
https://thebulletin.org/double-edged-sword-us-nuclear-command-and-control-modernization9593

1 Comment
Comments (1)
Submit
Jun 14, 2018
I've been behind and catching up with episodes today. Not a particular comment on this episode, but something you said. When you comment about giving money to the begger and that he may not go out and buy booze, reminded me of a scene from Sports Night when Issac is talking to Dan and Dan says isn't Issac afraid they will buy booze and Issac responds that he sometimes hopes they do because often they are in those situations over more than just not having a home and that the booze may bring them some comfort. Just something that came to mind.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members