An Elementary Community
Monday 10:00 PM on CBS

Anybody who says watching TV makes you dumb has definitely never watched an episode of Elementary.

Nearly every week I find myself looking up things on the internet, because I have learned something new that I want to know more about. This week it was Gilbert and Sullivan and Button Gwinnett.

It shows how much effort the writers put in their story lines. There is never a scene or dialogue that is of no importance. Often you only discover those things upon watching an episode for the second or third time.

I have grown accustomed to paying attention to seemingly minor details. Often they turn out to be crucial especially for the overall story arc or the inner feelings of the main characters.

Let me give you two examples that struck me the most in this episode.

First: Throw-Away Lines

For the second time this Season Sherlock says something to someone that, because the person doesn't know anything about his past, seems to be some kind of joke and judging by their reaction is perceived by them as such.

In reality Sherlock pours out his soul in those moments. Ironically he is only able to do so because he is sure the person opposite doesn't understand the seriousness of what he says.

In the first episode when Hawes asks him why he doesn't do his thinking at his home Sherlock responds:

"My mother's ghost recently set a room on fire, so I've been doing most of my thinking elsewhere."

And this time, when Dr. Hanson comments on Sherlock's long-therm memory being intact, he says:

"Evidently my last concussion was not enough to erase my schoolboy years with Gilbert and Sullivan."

You can get from his tone of voice that it would have been a genuine relief for him if it had.
I am not sure if the Gilbert and Sullivan reference means something but it might be a hint to how Sherlock managed to survive.
The operas of the lyricist /composer duo are full of irony, mocking the establishment and unqualified people in positions of authority.

Second: Michael

I read a lot of comments of viewers that stated Michael was probably a psychopath and serial killer. There is definitely something creepy about him but there is one scene in this episode that makes me doubt he is a psychopath.
When he sits in his office he looks at the social media profile of the woman he has buried in the woods. If he were a psychopath you would expect that looking at the pictures should lead to him feeling joy or at least some kind of satisfaction, but it doesn't. When you are able to, watch the scene again and stop the video. There is genuine grief in his expression, not a single sign of excitement.
In addition to that Robert Doherty said in interviews that Michael really wanted to help Sherlock.
So either Michael killed the woman to give Sherlock a case to help him to get better as a reward for helping him to get sober or he killed her accidentally and then buried her to give Sherlock a case or he didn't kill her at all what I would consider the most intriguing option.

You want to know why?

Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_(archangel)

Now do your own thinking considering that the woman was a member of Michael's regular support group and that we don't have a timeline to the events. We don't know when Michael buried her.

Well, he still might be a serial killer, but knowing Elementary, people often turn out not to be what you think they are, especially when their names start with M.

Additional Thought - The first scene at the cafe

Sherlock:
"Well, I'm not in any pain at the moment. So it's possible the medication's working."

Michael:
"Right, but you're anxious about it. Worried it won't work?"

Sherlock:
I'm actually more fearful that it will work.

Michael:
"Right, I get it. You're an addict. The idea that you need more drugs can't be easy."

Sherlock:
"When I was using, I, um, I used this tortured calculus to come up with all sorts of reasons that would justify stuffing my veins with chemicals.
I want to get better, but I just don't, I just don't want to go back to thinking that way."

Besides the fact that this scene was painful to watch it reveals the reason for why it is so hard for Sherlock to stay sober. He didn't get addicted to drugs out of a sense of adventure but because they actually helped to curb his psychological problems. He has always used them as a form of medication, what is by the way very common for people suffering from complex trauma.

Additional links:

Gilbert and Sullivan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_and_Sullivan
https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Mikado
Button Gwinnett:
http://www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com/button-gwinnett.html

1 Comment
Comments (1)
Submit
May 16, 2018
Great review.

The Michael thing has me completely intrigued at this point. And I am sure the answer will be something completely unexpected. If he is a serial killer, there have been cases, tv and otherwise, where the killer taunts the police in some way, but since the only crime Sherlock knows at this point, and he really doesn't even know it is a crime, is that there is a missing woman. I wonder, pure speculation here, if Michael was having a relationship with her and found her dead and instead of reporting it, buried the body but wants to know how it happened. Also, if the woman fell into drugs and overdosed herself, maybe Michael buried the body but now wants to know if there is a reason for her going back to the drugs and if anyone may find out, it is Sherlock. Just some thoughts there.
The main crime of the episode was interesting but maybe a little overshadowed by Sherlock's problems and Michael in this case. A bit more straight forward but a little interesting history lesson in there. 
Can't wait to see where this season goes.
More+
Flag
Follow this Show
Members