An Elementary Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on CBS
Going to give these a shot when there's not enough in an episode to justify a full review. We'll see how much of a discussion we get going.

Mostly, "The One Percent Solution" was notable for two things. The first was Lestrade having managed to turn his taking credit for the solve in the season premiere into his own career as a consultant detective and giver of DOUG Chats (the show's version of TED Talks) having been contracted detective for a financial firm.

I dug Lestrade's turn of fortune, complete with his own assistant in Miss Truepenny. Obviously he was modeling himself on Sherlock and his partnership with Joan, even though he and Truepenny were clearly misreading Joan's role in things. This led to some amusing little exchanges, including Truepenny expecting Joan to wait outside with her at Balsille's office or her being super-protective of her job as Lestrade's coconut water wrangler. Normally this sort of Bizzaro rivalry situation is played for more laughs than somberness, but I liked that Elementary went with the latter. Lestrade's not competent or lucky enough to function as the Lance White to Sherlock's Jim Rockford, so it wouldn't have made much sense for Lestrade to be overly on the ball, or on the ball at all.

That being said, Lestrade's current place in the world didn't seem to have been made completely on his own merits, and that may have been the single most interesting though largely implied aspect of the episode. I refer, of course, to Lestrade explaining Balsille being a "serial Indecent Proposer" and how Lestrade danced around saying that he and Balsille had slept together in exchange for Lestrade's newfound perks. Perhaps I was reading too much it, but the mention of "the odd bloke" every now and then and Lestrade's general uncomfortableness in telling the tale seemed to me to indicate that the transaction had happened.

It was sort of a dark avenue for the show to take -- which may have been why it was left largely to subtext -- but showed just how addicted Lestrade was to the limelight. I don't know that he redeems himself in the end, siding with Sherlock and Joan against Balsille and his desire to not see Forrester arrested, but it felt like a step forward in recovery, and as we know, the show is all about recovery.

The second thing was Joan saying "I don’t care which cock I’m holding, I just want to know how it got there." Because, you know, hilarious. That humor aside, Sherlock taming the fighting cocks served as a metaphor for Sherlock and Lestrade thawing out a bit, with it being completed by Lestrade needing a place to crash at the end of the episode. It was a little on-the-nose, but I'll take zany subplots being on the nose as long as they serve a complementary purpose.

What'd you all think?
50 Comments
Comments (50)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Joan should have told Miss Truepenny should stand up for herself with Lestrade rather than feel treatened by Joan.
The episode didn't really show anything about Truepenny's competence, but Lestrade was very condecending towards her. I felt sorry for and felt she deserved better. I was surprised the Joan didn't react more to it.
Of course, that might just be because she was a cute little blonde. ;-)

Miss Truepenny.
Miss Moneypenny.
Does anyone know if those are real names. They seem too cute to be real.

There is no doubt, in my mind, that Balsille 'asserted his dominance' over Lestrade before hiring him.

I was surprised to see Sherlock acting so petty towards Lestrade. Not very petty, but even the little bit he showed, was unexpected.

About the cock holding. I thought Sherlock's retort, about it being a great epitaph, was the funniest bit.
Flag
I was expecting another Mycroft-style phone call at the end from Lestrade. Although he does seem to be a bit dimmer than most of Moriarty's bulbs (or whoever is pulling Mycroft's strings, but I'm still on it being her). Who knows? Gareth might just be the one to alert Sherlock to the whole scheme come May.

Although, to be honest and fair, I'm so jazzed about the ending of Season 3 of the BBC (PBS-aired) Sherlock that I'm not overly-dwelling on the CBS one. (But I am still a fan and will continue to watch, of course!)

Flag
I may be in the minority with this one. The case itself was a bit thin, but I liked this episode overall better than some others of this season. Lestrade is an unlikeable character but fit into the story quite well. I wouldn't want to see him too much in the future. Sherlock and Joan were fabulous and the cocks made for a funny diversion. The only quibble is that Lestrade's assistant did not get a comeuppance at the conclusion. If there was a subtext as has been suggested, it certainly was left completely to the viewers' imaginations.
Flag
I agree with DavidJackson, I didn't pick up on the subtext there (if there was any)...maybe because I was doing other stuff while it was on and not fully paying attention. I thought he was just the middleman but now that you point it out I can see how it might be true. I also liked the bit about Sherlock trying to get Joan to say "it". I loved the looks on his face lol. I like it when they allow Sherlock to have a sense of humor and playfulness, juvenile though it may have been.
Flag
I thought this was the worst episode of the series. The first episode where I had to refrain myself from forwarding it. The only bright spot was, Sherlock trying to get Watson to say 'Cock'.
Flag
I don't know if anyone noticed in the first few episodes of the series that the guilty person was ALWAYS the first person they interviewed. I hated that because it got too predictable and there was no surprise. That eventually changed. But....The show did that same formula in this episode too. The first person they interview was the guilty party. I hope they don't go back to that again.

I have been watching since episode 1. I like the show. Its not my TOP show, but I am dedicated.

Watson's line about holding a cock was too damn funny.

I watch each episode and enjoy them in their own right.

My problem with the show overall is that I have become accustomed to shows where every episode is tied to the next, i.e. Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Arrow, Bitten, Being Human...etc etc. Maybe I am spoiled by that story telling style. I kind of wish that Elementary was doing the same.

But.....with that said, I like that there is still a bigger mystery happening in the show that may have been forgotten about; What is happening with Mycroft, and who is he working with? The last we saw him we was telephoning someone about Sherlock.

I also think that we haven't seen the last of Moriarty...the great nemesis of Holmes.

This episode for me was like all the other episodes; Intriguing but nothing of a "WOW" moment.

More+
Flag
Agree 100%. Well put!
Flag
Nice Rockford reference! This wasn't one of the best episodes, but I liked seeing Lestrade squirm when Sherlock got the better of him. And now we know who to blame for Pluto no longer being classified as a planet. It's Sherlock's fault!
Flag
I don't care which boss had sex with which subordinate as long as Joan and Sherlock remain strong.

Oh my, I totally get the cock reference now!
(Watch out Clyde, those roosters are out for your job!)
Flag
Tried to get into this series a few times now but I just can't!. I guessed it was that "under secretary" when they interviewed her at the hospital. Anyway the guy who plays Sherlock does a great job but Lucy Lui is just so DULL.
Flag
I actually didn't get the subtext of Lestrade having had sex with his boss -- I just took it at face value and assumed he was just the middleman setting it all up. I could see how that subtext might be true, though.

Anyway, it was a decent ep. Nothing particularly interested or fascinated me, but it wasn't overly boring to me either.
Flag
I thought it was a great ep, loved that the subtext was left as it was even Sherlock's not going to pry.

Lestrade redeemed himself a bit but I still don't like him, that is to say I find his character repellent but I like the interaction between him and Holmes and I like having his character around every once in awhile.

Lestrade is an interesting character and brings out some interesting characteristics in Sherlock.
Flag
Wow, all the Lestrade hate, I've got time for a lot of Sean Pertwee's characters, he and Johnny Lee Miller had worked together before on Love Honour and Obey at least, however Sean in Dog Soldiers as how a true Seargent or leader sacrifices or should lead his soldiers was great and I also liked his role in this show.
Here he's been compromised (perhaps sexually) and he is always conscious of the fact that only Sherlock knows him for the fraud he is, without overplaying it he gave that line "I mean you thought I was a fool before, what do you think now?"
At the end he's hit bottom again, I actually find it an interesting theme of late in movies such as Flight and Broken City where flawed characters could not just get a free pass by the sleazy powers that be, but even rewarded, however in the end they choose to own up to their actions/crimes and take the consequences, hard theme [perhaps fiction] to sell especially these days with corporate scandals and with blame dodging or scapegoating a regular pastime.
In any case, much like the cocks they could in the end accept each other as they both had a mutual opinion on murder and I had a good laugh at the pretentions that exist in the facade detective duo in comparison to the genuine detectives, however I could just as easily watch a comedy show about Sherlock and Lestrade.
More+
Flag
One of my favourite parts of elementary is the way Sherlock uses different animals to wake Joan.
Flag
He's just living vicariously through them. Denial can be an ugly master. :)

Flag
Its how he keeps the relationship fresh and original.

...but my personal favorite is the way he names new species of bees after her.
Flag
That was such a sweet moment
Flag
I was bored to tears and painted my nails while "watching" this. Crummy filler episode. The question is: did they use it to set anything up for future episodes? Was that a lame attempt to bring back Lestrade for a larger plot?

I hope not. He's really useless, unless he's being used as a plot device, and then again... how lame and useless is that??? His voice grates on me too.

I didn't get much from the episode, something about a quid pro quo and two "cocks." lol *phrasing* ...anyways... so at the end, Lestrade asked Sherlock for a place to crash, does this mean our dense detective will sticking around?? Please say no.

So far, the only time that elementary has been really rocking it, is when Moriarty and Mycroft were involved. More so by the former.
I hope they utilize them more in the future.
Flag
weak episode, hate the casting of lestrade, his accent grated on me to to point of switching it off half way through. His presence made no sense at all other than to wedge him into an episode.
Flag
I'm not quite sure that Lestrade's employment with Balsille was sexual in nature. We are talking about a CEO of a major Wall Street company. CEO's like to sleep around but they can't sleep with ALL of their employees, (nor do they necessarily want to) so we have to assume some vanilla 'how much to buy your services' deals are going on. The thrill isn't simply sexual, it is knowing that anyone has their price. Therefore, lets assume Balsille gets as much enjoyment knowing he's bought people, even if he hasn't slept with them. The sexual side comes from his female conquests.

Furthermore, Sherlock is not above rank juvenilia, especially with Joan. The pilot episode involving S&M sex with a prostitute, his over-abundant libido in Corpse De Ballet, this Sherlock, for all his deductive prowess, is not above a certain insecurity when it comes to women he is attracted to. In fact, his respect for Joan is very likely the cause of his sexual acting out. His most intense, emotional, satisfying (and therefore sexual) relationship was with Irene/Moriarity. Because of complications, he obviously can't express those feelings with her. However, because Joan is (in her own way) as equally intelligent, demanding and therefore attractive as Moriarity, that intensity is very likely to make him revert to pre-school, 'I'm going to pull your hair because I like you' behavior.

In addition, he doesn't necessarily trust that Joan will remain with him. Yes, she is choosing to be with him, but that is because the relationship is still fairly new, still in the honeymoon stage. He knows, eventually, he pushes people away. Moriarity has the intellectual and emotional strength to hold onto him (and he to her) but Joan has already expressed a willingness to leave at some point. Therefore, like the good, intellectual, self-destructive that he is, Sherlock is pulling out all the stops to see how close he can get to Joan before she does leave. That Joan is playing at his level, understands that is what is happening, is only helping to make their relationship stronger.

Sherlock is simple: either best him or join him. Moriarity can best him, but Joan and Lestrade win by joining him, by learning to adapt to his level and playing at it. And when they do that, they get rewarded. You see, Sherlock, for all his self-destructive tendencies, has a hard moral center that doesn't shift. He may irritate you with where he is taking you but he will never push you into corruption. In fact, it is that moral core of Lestrade's, what he won't sell out for, that allows Sherlock to see his similarities. They aren't just fighting for survival, they are fighting for pride, a certain amount of human dignity and respect that can't be bargained away. They are, with or without a uniform, policemen at their core, detectives of the greater, moral good.

And how could the show end any more perfect than with Joan's line: "We own chickens, don't we? I'm not feeding them." Joan's insistence on calling them chickens isn't just lazy, it is her dead-on assessment of who she is living with. For all the bluster that Lestrade and Sherlock display, Joan truly sees what they are. Of course she is going to 'feed them,' Sherlock in particular. Moriarity would sympathize...when she's not trying to claw Joan's eyes out for being with Sherlock. This show just keeps getting better and better.
More+
Flag
Joan's closing line was awesome ... that and the way she said it.
Flag
i liked that episode and found it really amusing with the Cock-thing and Lestrade and his ego.
Flag
I am surprised you would review this. This is one of the most boring episodes. I was excited about Elementary for most of season two before the break but this one is really not very interesting. This week Arrow wins by a mile.
Flag
Staff
And to head off a potential next question: We'll still do full reviews, but only when the episode warrants it. Given the point in its season, I'm guessing we may not a meaty enough episode until the finale, but we'll see. :)
Flag
Staff
Doing these capsule reviews for Elementary for just the reason you described. I didn't think it was boring, but like I told Jen, there were maybe 2 to 3 paragraphs to it, not a full review. So think of it more like a conversational prompt?
Flag
I wanted to save your writing quota for The Good Wife :-) Or should I say TV.com review budgets :-)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well, the whole Cock-thing was a bit juveneille. I get that Sherlock is a bit odd and has some weired hobbies, and they even had a line on how he came into possession of those roosters, but this time it just seemed silly. And all that just to get Watson to say "cock"??
During the episode I didn't get a sense of that whole thing beeing a parallel to Sherlock and Lestrade. Now that you mention it in the review it makes a bit more sense.

btw, that's exactly why I like reading reviews and recaps, to I get pointed to things that I might have missed myself :)
Flag
I see this completely differently. iI especially liked the episode for it. You could see on Sherlock's face in the end, that it was very important for him to succeed in training these two cocks to lose their aggressiveness. When you consider Sherlock's past this is totally understandable because throughout most of his childhood and youth he had to suffer from the aggressiveness of the people around him. And that caused the psychological problems he has to deal with.
Flag
Yeah I like the reviews too.
Flag
This show just gets better and better. But what about the whole Mycroft thing. It's been 8 episodes since his mysterious phone conversation. What's the hold up?
Flag
Staff
The writers confirmed that'll he back for the finale at the very least. I don't know if he's back any sooner, however. I imagine that a lot of it hinged on Rhys Ifans.
Flag
Yes, had the exact same odd uncertainty just how deep Lestrade had been involved in Balsille's 'indecent proposals'. Maybe it worked for the best we weren't told specifically (and was it an unusual display of politeness on Sherlock's part that he didn't poke at that?).

Maybe it's just because I like Sean Pertwee, but I was actually delighted when the recap at first referenced Lestrade and gave us the hint that he was returning. I'd be happy to see him in more episodes if he's in New York anyway.

I think Elementary managed once more (as it did with Holmes and Watson) to take a very worked-through pairing known from many adaptations (Holmes and Lestrade) and make it fresh. If it can serve as another step in Sherlock's character development, all the better.
Flag
Oh and yes please try and review as much as you can!
Flag
I've certainly missed this show over the Olympic hiatus! However the past couple of episodes I feel like there is some underlying tension between Holmes and Watson. Anyone else? I absolutely love their chemistry as partners which for the most part seems warm but it seems like some of the warmth is gone as of late. Did I miss something?
Flag
No you are not alone. I think it's deliberate. Maybe they want to remind us they are not lovers and there is no sexual tension... At least I hope this is true.
Flag
I think you're right. Just hoping there isn't any behind the scene stuff that could screw this up.
Flag
Watson : I'm not feeding them.
ROTFL.
Flag
yes i was expecting him to come out and say he was sleeping with his boss at one point, i did get that vibe very well....
Flag
Staff
Glad it wasn't just me.
Flag
Was it just me, or anybody else got that gut feeling this was going to be a dull episode the second we saw Lestrade show up?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC