An Elementary Community
Monday 10:00 PM on CBS
I am currently on holiday and had to watch the show in the basement of a hostel with a very loud air-conditioning that prevented me from understanding some dialogue.
So forgive me, should there be any mistakes in this review. I‘ll do my very best.

Let‘s talk about the main story first.
I liked it. It was fairly complicated and had just the right amount of weirdness for me to keep my attention: Two agents shooting each other in Tarantino fashion ( fortunately we didn’t get to see it) and „The Nose“ asking for a little quiet because he was „trying to smell“. The case also demonstrated that the solving of the cases is not only a product of Holmes’ genius but the success of a team to which every member contributes equally.

The only thing I didn‘t get and maybe one of you can shed some light on, is what the title of the episode has to do with the case?

It fits extremely well to the other story though.

Sherlock has come a very long way since Season 1 you surely won‘t deny that, but sometimes this has negative sides, too as this episode showed.
It also revealed that some things have not changed and that these experiences in all likelihood will contribute to Sherlock never fully trusting and relating to other people.

Sherlock has hated his father and even wished him dead for a long time because of the constant neglect and belittling.
The contact he had with him two years ago and the recent death of Mycroft changed his attitude what makes it difficult for him to immediately deny his father‘s request.
It creates an inner conflict that nearly tears him apart.
Luckily there is Joan who helps him cope.

I just read an advert about how to help people with mental health problems. This was a perfect example for how you do it.

Back to the subject.
The two encounters between Morland and Sherlock were rather short but in my opinion very significant.
I found them quite depressing actually, as they revealed the deep rift between father and son.

Last week Sherlock offered his father a hand, saying he didn‘t want to hold grudges anymore. This step definitely wasn‘t easy for Sherlock and at first it seemed Morland was willing to reconcile, too but then he comes up with a „request“ instead, or more accurately an order, with Morland knowing full well what it means for Sherlock if he obeys.

And as if that wasn‘t enough, when Sherlock presents him a solution that enables him to continue his work without becoming a murderer, instead of thanking him, he reacts rather hostile and disparagingly. It seems there is nothing Sherlock can do to make Morland change his stance towards him and recognise his feelings. What‘s even more tragic is that Sherlock doesn‘t expect anything else from his dad.

The other thing about the episode that I found utterly sad was Moriarty’s behaviour towards Sherlock.

At one point in the episode Sherlock tells Joan that Jamie Moriarty hasn‘t written to him for a year. Still he hopes she will directly get in touch with him after he delivered the message at the cafe.
He stays home and keeps an eye on all the channels she could contact him through. It must have been a great disappointment for him when she sends one of her employees instead, in all likelihood even someone of a low rank.
After Moriarty had decided to escape from prison and resume her activities she didn‘t need him anymore, so she put him aside and forgot about him, like most of the people in Sherlock‘s life: his father, Lestrade and Abigail for example just to name a few.

Sherlock has never done anything to deserve such a treatment, yet it happens to him over and over again. I think his devastation with that finds expression in the smashing of the cookie jar.

There is a chorus of a German song by Stephan Remmler that I think is rather fitting for Sherlock‘s situation:

“Einer ist immer der Loser,
Einer muss immer verlier‘n
Ich war mein Leben lang der Loser
Ganz unten, ganz hinten, am Arsch.“

“Someone is always the loser,
Someone always has to lose.
I have been the loser all my life
At the bottom, at the farthest end, f***ed.“

(Please excuse the vulgarity but that is the correct translation)

As I am an optimistic person I don’t want to finish my review this way, though.
I prefer a more positive note:

You have come a long way, Sherlock.
Move ahead.

5 Comments
Comments (5)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yesterday
I am enjoying while reading this post here and your review is so informative. i am thinking about How do I sync my settings in windows 10 device then my friend is suggest this web tutorial and its really helpful to access our system sync function.
Flag
Jul 20, 2018
i found your analysis of sherlock's aloneness intriguing. As far as moreland being upset with his solution. i couldn't disagree more . Moreland actually smiles as he says goodbye, and hopes they will talk again soon. I read the scene as Moreland is pleased his son has found an independence that can't be compromised, and as a father is pleased with his son's obstinate, yet impeccable growth.
Flag
Jul 19, 2018
The title comes from an advertising campaign from the 1970’s (Virginia Slims, maybe?) which touted women’s growIng equality with the ability to openly smoke. Since the episode was about tobacco companies, it works.
Flag
Jul 19, 2018
Flag
Jul 19, 2018
The title refers the a cigarette ad from the 1970s (Virginia Slims, maybe?) which touted women’s growing equality with being able to smoke. Since the episode was about the tobacco companies, it works.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members