An Elementary Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on CBS
Stay weird, Sweetie
2 days ago
Elementary "The Art of Sleights and Deception" Review - Anatomy
The topics that Elementary often deals with are definitely not of the "light entertainment" sort but this episode tackled a subject that didn't make it easy for me to decide if I really wanted to write about it because it is so dreadful.

In the end I made up my mind to do it nevertheless because I think that the things that happened nearly 80 years ago should never be forgotten, even if some people think otherwise.
I am German and so it wasn't too difficult for me to find the information I was looking for.

Anatomy in Germany and Austria in the 1940s

Long before World War II the bodies of executed criminals were the first legal source for the anatomy labs of universities. Until the beginning of the 20th century the corpses of people who committed suicide, prisoners or poor people had also been used. There ...Read more
Defining Standards
Apr 18, 2017
Elementary "High Heat" Review - Compensation
Elementary is currently in the bubble for renewal.

If CBS still needs an argument to give the show a Season 6, in spite of all the comments on various platforms saying that Elementary is one of the most intelligent and best written shows on TV ,"High Heat" is a striking one.

The episode contained everything that makes the series extraordinary: A credible and interesting plot, excellent writing, emotion, strong characters, realism and something that I had been missing for some time: humour (I only say "Mr.Coconut").

The main and the background plot were closely linked in this episode because if Kirby had had the necessary skills for the job he was doing and if he had worked properly, I strongly suspect that the story would have taken a different turn.

Kirby obviously didn't inform the relatives of the murder victims about his intentions. They thought he was just ...Read more
Betrayed
Mar 28, 2017
Elementary "Dead Man's Tale" Review - Piracy
I am interested in pirates, buccaneers and privateers since I watched "The Sea Hawk" with Errol Flynn as a kid.

So I was looking forward to this episode. I wasn't disappointed.

In the end not so much because of the references to the Golden Age of Piracy but because of the overall complexity, credibility and intelligence of the plot.
The things that in my opinion make Elementary one of the best written TV shows I have ever watched.

The attention the writers give their stories is outstanding.

I also appreciate the fact that Elementary never goes the easy, comfortable way.
The writers, directors and actors demand from their audience to deal with plots and scenes that are hard to digest because of the intensity of performance and the lack of any whitewashing.

The last scene of this episode was an impressive demonstration of that but I will come back ...Read more
Cr0ssroads
Mar 21, 2017
Elementary "The Ballad of Lady Frances" Review - Double Homicide
I usually can't find a lot to complain about an Elementary Episode but this time it was different.
Dear writers:
HOW COULD YOU DARE TO LET THE MURDERER DESTROY A BEAUTIFUL VINTAGE GUITAR FROM THE 50s.COULDN'T HE HAVE USED THE SHELF ON THE LEFT INSTEAD?
Please excuse this outburst. I am a musician and guitarist myself and this just makes my heart bleed.

Joking apart "The Ballad of Lady Frances" demonstrated the qualities of Elementary:
Bizarre but totally credible plots, accuracy and the reference to real life topics.
In this case Gunshot surveillance and vintage guitars. I will tell you something about both in this review because I find them equally interesting.

Until today I wasn't aware that a system that could record gunshots actually existed. In fact it does. And there are indeed some issues connected to that.

The technique:
The Real Life "Bulletpoint" is ...
Read more
Fake News
Mar 16, 2017
Elementary "Fidelity" Review - Truths
I don't know if the scene with McNally and Sherlock on the bench was added or edited by the writers last minute as the episode was filmed at the end of January. I think it might because it was shortly after Meryl Streep and with her actors and artists in general had been criticised publicly for talking about politics instead of sticking to their "purpose" of entertaining people and only days after Ewan McGregor was insulted by Piers Morgan for refusing to be interviewed by him.
You could virtually see the pleasure with which Jonny Lee Miller and Tim Guinee delivered the dialogue that I find significant.

"No one was saying 'just a little' in Farsi in the background on that tape. It wasn't an Iranian Nuclear scientist referencing how much enriched uranium they were using. It was Gephardts mother beckoning her pet in another part of the ...
Read more
Surprises
Mar 07, 2017
Elementary "Wrong Side of the Road" Review - Inside Out

At the end of January, when this 2 part event was filmed, Jonny Lee Miller had to go to the UK for the premier and following press junket of "T2 Trainspotting".

This compelled the writers to find a way to reduce Sherlock's screen time for two episodes.
The solution they found was bringing Kitty Winter back, in my opinion a good choice.
The storyline up to this point was so intriguing that I was surprised that 40 minutes had already passed when the episode ended.

If the absence of a lead actor of the show always leads to scripts like this one, maybe one of them should head off to Europe once in a while. ;-)

I am going to focus this review or maybe it's once again one of my non-reviews on one single scene.
That's why I have decided to let you do the regular reviewer ...Read more
Thin Ice
Feb 21, 2017
Elementary "Rekt In Real Life" Review - Clash of Cultures
I chose that heading for my review because it fits well to the things I want to talk about:

Inuit and eSports.

I didn't know anything about eSports before I watched this episode.
I knew that it existed and that there were professional teams but that was about everything.
Why do I consider it a Clash of Cultures?
Because I think that you are either fascinated by eSports or it doesn't make any sense to you.
I have to admit I belong to the latter. I have never been really interested in Computer Games.
Afterall I don't judge people who do eSports and if they can earn money with it, good for them.

There is one thing that I find problematic though about the eSports world.
It is a topic of the Episode as well as obvious in tweets of some of the pros that had a ...Read more
A Close Shave
Jan 31, 2017
Elementary "Over A Barrel" Review - Common Sense
If you hadn't watched this episode and just read the synopsis you could say:

"Oh no. Not again. I've seen this a thousand times in films and on TV: Someone taking hostages and threatening to kill them one by one if his demands are not fulfilled. BORING!"

I can only answer: "No, you haven't seen anything like that before. Not even close."
I hope you agree with me. If not, I accept your opinion and hope you do the same with mine.

This marks the transition to the main point of this review.

Jeffrey Paul King took all the elements of an ordinary hostage-taking and turned it into an allegory for the essentials of a humane society.

RESPECT
Jack Brunelle had asked Sherlock for his help several times before he took the hostages. His motives for being persistent are totally understandable but his behaviour towards Joan and ...Read more
Montezumas office prank
Jan 18, 2017
Elementary "Crowned Clown, Downtown Brown" Review - Watershed Down
This isn't a review.

Or maybe it is. I don't know.

Review ( according to Dictionary.com):

1. a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation.

Well, this is an article. It will not be very critical though because as so often I can't find a lot to criticise. Maybe that after the intense last episode it seemed a bit dull at first. But like a fine wine it revealed its quality in the aftertaste.

2. the process of going over a subject again in study or recitation in order to fix it in the memory or summarize the facts.

I am not going to summarize the facts, because you have watched this episode yourself and don't need to get the story retold I think. What I am going to do is go over the subject ...Read more
LOose Ends
Jan 10, 2017
Elementary "Be My Guest" Review - Demons
Over the last two years I have been writing reviews for this platform, it occurred very rarely that I found it hard to find an approach.
This is one of those occasions.

It is not because "Be My Guest" was a bad episode ( in fact I liked it a lot) but because it was an episode that you can view and review from different angles and I am not sure if the one that I choose is one you share.

So what now?

I think you will have to live with my decision.
If you can't, feel free to throw your computer, laptop or whatever device you are reading this on, out of the window. I don't take any responsibility for it though because you can't say I didn't warn you. ;-)

Let's go.

Usually an episode of Elementary has got a "Case of the Week ...Read more
Follow this Show
Members
Episode 22 Season 5
Moving Targets
Airs
Airs
Episode 20 Season 5
The Art of Sleights and Deception
Aired
Episode 19 Season 5
High Heat
Aired
Episode 18 Season 5
Dead Man's Tale
Aired
Sherlock Holmes
Dr. Joan Watson
Captain Tobias Gregson
Detective Marcus Bell
Morland Holmes
Elementary is a CBS television series based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories with contemporary twists. It stars Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes and Lucy Liu as Watson.