Elementary Forums

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

So, what do you guys think?

jwgrlrrajn

[1]Oct 21, 2012
    • level: 23

Do you think this series is good, that it captures the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, or that it sucks?

I personally think it's a great show, and episode three managed to completely sell me on the series, but so far, I'm just not getting the Sherlock Holmes vibe from it (comparing it to the fantastic Jeremy Brett series as opposed to Sherlock or the RDJ movies, which are really good, but not an objective comparison point).

I don't know, in some ways, I think the series would be just as good, if not better, if they left the Sherlock Holmes mythos out of it entirely. But then again, I don't know how many people would watch it if it wasn't based on Sherlock Holmes.

Opinions?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marmanglona

[2]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 2

LOVE IT!!!

maverick13007

[4]Dec 6, 2012
    • level: 40

I personally like it very much. Johnny gives it a certain .... something that I can't quite put my finger on, but he makes it much more enjoyable to watch. That and I love that they used Lucy as Watson. frankly put, the dynamic between them is pretty awesome I'd say

CrazyAsian1080

[5]Dec 11, 2012
    • level: 7

Elementary turned out to be a lot better than I expected. From the previews I was expecting something a lot more dark and gritty. Don't get me wrong, the show is gritty and sometimes dark, but in an up beat kind of way. The back and forth between JLM and LL also works, it's like Becket and Castle but without the UST which means this show can, and should, avoid the whole Moonlighting problem. I also like the fact Sherlock is a bit more manic in this show and has this almost child like tit for tat attitude. You first noticed it when he crashes Watson's car into the doctor's car in the first ep, but where it really shined was when he was justifying to Watson how he was actual responsible for his own rescue.

My only problem with the show, and I have posted this main times but I will post it again, is they do not show the clues that Sherlock uses to solve the crime until the reveal. They will show Sherlock looking at stuff, but never what he is looking at. This gets a bit annoying at times. It'sparticularly annoying in this show because they will show you some clues, like the pictures on the wall in the long fuse, but won't show you others, like the rubber ball marks on ceiling in one way to get off.

Yaspaa

[8]Dec 15, 2012
    • level: 79
    There's too much Sherlock going on at the moment, so another one doing the same kind of thing wouldn't have worked so the differences in this show, I really don't mind, it's a nice change and better than I was expecting. It doesn't capture Holmes though. It's its own thing with similarities only.

rphjose

[9]Jan 20, 2013
    • level: 4
    From the 2 episodes I've seen, it looks like a "Mentalist" remake.

YadGadge

[11]Jan 31, 2013
    • level: 1
    He means that The Mentalist's way of deducing crimes is heavily influenced by the Sherlock Holmes stories much like House MD was so it seems similar because they all draw from the same source material.*

*Just guessing with a bit of snarkiness.

ArnoldRimmer1

[12]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 3

Its Boring US Copy of a GOOD BBC Show.

Sherlock is a 100 Times better

YadGadge

[13]Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think it's really trying to "copy" the BBC version. The US version hasn't tried to follow the books, it just uses the (modified) characters in a different setting. True it's not as good as Sherlock, but I wouldn't call it boring, the characters and the actors portrayals of them are well done, and they've kept things interesting/entertaining enough for me.

GutterMom

[16]Feb 9, 2013

Love It.

Yaspaa

[17]Feb 15, 2013
    • level: 79
    Excellent show, but it's certainly not in the same league as Sherlock, let's not get carried away here.

ionee24

[18]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 32

jwgrlrrajn wrote:

Opinions?

It's a build up show: the story grows on you because it makes the audience participant in the development of Sherlock and Joan. The mutual investment mirrors the audience investment in them, as the cases are a fun procedural that enriches the story.

It should last for as long as Holmes and Watson keep evolving.

Edited on 02/20/2013 9:41am

rphjose

[19]Feb 28, 2013
    Dec1964 wrote:

rphjose wrote:
    From the 2 episodes I've seen, it looks like a "Mentalist" remake.

Could you please elaborate.

I find many similarities in both shows:

-Someone with remarkable observation and deducing skills works as a consultant with the police to solve crimes.
    -The police can't solve the crimes without him.
    -When the police arrests someone based on strong evidence, he says the arrested person is innocent. Nobody believes him but in the end it turns out he's right.
    -The protagonist often uses questionable or even illegal methods to obtain clues, evidence or confessions.
    -The protagonist often uses weird methods to obtain clues.
    -The boss and almost everyone else thinks the protagonist is crazy, they'd love to fire him but can't because of his ability to solve cases.

coolchris44

[20]Mar 7, 2013
    • level: 22

this show is great. Sherlock reminds me of Patrick Jane at times

rphjose

[21]Mar 8, 2013
    rphjose wrote:
    I find many similarities in both shows:

-Someone with remarkable observation and deducing skills works as a consultant with the police to solve crimes.
    -The police can't solve the crimes without him.
    -When the police arrests someone based on strong evidence, he says the arrested person is innocent. Nobody believes him but in the end it turns out he's right.
    -The protagonist often uses questionable or even illegal methods to obtain clues, evidence or confessions.
    -The protagonist often uses weird methods to obtain clues.
    -The boss and almost everyone else thinks the protagonist is crazy, they'd love to fire him but can't because of his ability to solve cases.

Two more from the episode M:
    -A criminal has murdered someone close to the main character.
    -The main character is obsessed with catching the murderer, not to send him to jail, but to kill him.

ionee24

[22]Mar 13, 2013

coolchris44 wrote:

this show is great. Sherlock reminds me of Patrick Jane at times

I don't see it.

For one , Jonathan Lee Miller's Sherlock doesn't even believe in psychics, much less pretends to be one. The consultant gig is just a means to an end: sobriety. He needs this not to do drugs and uses the clarity Joan provides for him to exact the name of the man who killed Irene, not revenge (as of now, neither one has ever met).

On the other hand, Gregson & Bell are perfectly capable to solve the cases without him: they have cut him off more than once already. Watson is not a law enforcer nor the mentalist has an adoptive turtle - Clyde should have his own show IMO - and/or the show focusses on his domestic life (Patrick Jane doesn't have any). This Sherlock has a life outside the job: he doesn't live for it, this is what he does for a living. Even if he doesn't get paid.

Edited on 03/13/2013 10:14am

rphjose

[23]Mar 25, 2013
    ionee24 wrote:

For one , Jonathan Lee Miller's Sherlock doesn't even believe in psychics, much less pretends to be one.

Patrick Jane (The Mentalist) doesn't believe in psychics either, and he doesn't pretend to be one either (It is however, mentioned during the show that he used to scam people with the psychic thing, but he doesn't do that anymore and everybody knows that he solves cases with his deduction and observation skills, and not with supernatural abilities).

ionee24 wrote:
    The consultant gig is just a means to an end: sobriety. He needs this not to do drugs and uses the clarity Joan provides for him to exact the name of the man who killed Irene, not revenge (as of now, neither one has ever met).
    Holmes wants to torture and kill Moriarty, in the episode titled "M." he says so and almost carries on his plan with Moriarty's accomplice, just like when the Mentalist killed an accomplice of Red John thinking it was him. For the Mentalist, the consultant gig is also just a means to an end: catching Red John, he has said so many times.

ionee24 wrote:
    On the other hand, Gregson & Bell are perfectly capable to solve the cases without him: they have cut him off more than once already.
    I haven't seen all the episodes of Elementary, but in all the ones I've seen, when Gregson & Bell are going to arrest a suspect and close the case, Holmes tells them they're wrong and at the end of the episode he's proven right. Also, after Holmes is fired for torturing Moriarty's accomplice, he is rehired because he solves a case that Gregson & Bell couldn't, I think it was the one about the Red Team.

ionee24 wrote:
    (...) and/or the show focusses on his domestic life (Patrick Jane doesn't have any). This Sherlock has a life outside the job: he doesn't live for it, this is what he does for a living. Even if he doesn't get paid.
    From the episodes I've watched, all we get to see of Holmes' domestic life are his conversations about the cases with Watson in their house/apartment.

Don't get me wrong, I watch and enjoy both shows, I'm just pointing out the similarities, not accusing the writers of plagiarism.

ionee24

[25]Jun 20, 2013
    The fundamental difference I see between Elementary and the next formulaic procedural - not just the Mentalist - is that Watson is Sherlock's partner, in every sense of the word. Elementary took the part that any other Detective show avoids and made domesticity entertaining for an audience that didn't know how fun it could be.

This is not a will they/won't they story but an after-they-are-together story, the female character is not a love interest that makes the male lead look cute and both characters are equally improved by the relationship: they make each other better.

This is the first Watson that doesn't exist solely to serve Sherlock's story, Sherlock doesn't make her feel special because she hangs out with him. Joan is special in her own right and Sherlock serves her storyline as much as she serves his.