Thursday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

So, what do you guys think?

Haloprogram

[27]Nov 18, 2013
    • level: 8

rphjose wrote:
    Dec1964 wrote:

rphjose wrote:
    From the 2 episodes I've seen, it looks like a "Mentalist" remake.

Could you please elaborate.

I find many similarities in both shows: -Someone with remarkable observation and deducing skills works as a consultant with the police to solve crimes. -The police can't solve the crimes without him. -When the police arrests someone based on strong evidence, he says the arrested person is innocent. Nobody believes him but in the end it turns out he's right. -The protagonist often uses questionable or even illegal methods to obtain clues, evidence or confessions. -The protagonist often uses weird methods to obtain clues. -The boss and almost everyone else thinks the protagonist is crazy, they'd love to fire him but can't because of his ability to solve cases.

They'd like to fire him? Where'd you get that from. In both the Mentalist and Elementary the deuteragonist and supportive cast love the protagonist. It's only when involving someone that doesn't understand the character that, that becomes a factor. Now if you want I can apply all of those things into each and every show featuring this "one special detective" as a foundation. Let's begin with The Mentalist and Elementary (obviously) then we have: Sherlock, Psych, Monk, Perception, White Collar, Castle, Lie to Me, Numb3rs and the list goes on. All of these build on the same foundation and thus carry similar features.

Some of them rely more on one aspect than maybe another one would like having a proper antagonist. Now it's fully possible to enjoy both The Mentalist and Elementary at the same time because they are quite different in their portrayals of their protagonists and stories, I should know, I do it on a weekly basis.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rphjose

[28]Dec 13, 2013
    • level: 4
    Haloprogram wrote:

Now it's fully possible to enjoy both The Mentalist and Elementary at the same time because they are quite different in their portrayals of their protagonists and stories, I should know, I do it on a weekly basis.

I actually do enjoy and watch both The Mentalist and Elementary now, and I have to acknowledge the fact that they aren't that similar after all. I made the post criticizing the similarities between the shows after having watched only 2 or 3 episodes of Elementary, and thinking the Moriarty storyline would be a copy of the one about Red John.

lorenceberghmann

[29]Dec 30, 2013
    • level: 1
    Hi

lorenceberghmann

[30]Dec 30, 2013
    In Elementary, I like the process details best: the protagonist acquires every new skill after multiple attempts, after trying many different approaches. I like the idea of sharing true human knowledge. Similar in Lie to Me (mentioned in Haloprogram's post above): the idea of establishing a baseline in people's reactions. I did see this several times in times of accidents, and after that I was indeed able to recognize the true reactions of the people involved. Beyond storyline, in tv shows I find an extension of my personal contacts with people and of my immediate environment, a source of ideas which can come from other areas of life, from more people - in this case from screenwriters

bead5

[31]Mar 29, 2015
    confusing to have brother and father affecting the stories