Elementary Forums

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Wow

cross_mr

[1]May 22, 2012
    • level: 9

Only in America would they feel the need to make Dr Watson a woman. There is already an absolutely stellar modern version of Sherlock Holmes. I predict another US TV company making a fool of themselves trying to import british TV

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shamilea

[2]Jun 21, 2012

cross_mr wrote:

Only in America would they feel the need to make Dr Watson a woman. There is already an absolutely stellar modern version of Sherlock Holmes. I predict another US TV company making a fool of themselves trying to import british TV

Maybe you are right and this may bust, but I am prepared to give any show Jonny Lee Miller does a chance.

Also, the British show does have a very different approach in terms of length and structure. I believe that these can easily co-exist.

Edited on 06/21/2012 5:41am

JakeGrissom

[3]Aug 21, 2012
    • level: 1

Whatever. I think Liu is long overdue for another good TV role and she has the potential to make a great Watson. Hell, she could've made a great Holmes.

oscarolim

[4]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 3
    Americans are good at copying indeed. Sherlock is British. Watson is a guy. Why can't americans just watch the very much superior original version?

zagorka77

[5]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 11
    I had a chance to see the Pilot - When it comes to innovativeness and evoking the spirit of Doyle's Holmes, not even close to BBC's Sherlock, not even close! But in general, as a TV show, not bad. I'd put it in the same basket with Perception.

kok_warlock

[6]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 11

zagorka77 wrote:
    I had a chance to see the Pilot - When it comes to innovativeness and evoking the spirit of Doyle's Holmes, not even close to BBC's Sherlock, not even close! But in general, as a TV show, not bad. I'd put it in the same basket with Perception.

I could not have said it better, when it comes to a tv show, it's alright, pretty average, and trust me, I wanted to like, because Johnny Lee Miller is a great actor imo, however, when compared to BBC's Sherlock, this show is just plain pathetic when it tries to make a modern version of Holmes.

This show presents Holmes as another weird solving crimes weirdly, like a lot of tv shows on the air right now, forced stories combined with subpar acting, and overall poor writing, doesn't help it's case, don't take me wrong, the just isn't unwatchable, it can be a good time when you simply don't have anything better to do or watch.

SchvennMeister

[7]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 2

Stellar?!?! LOLOLOL
    Baskerville was a military base conducting genetic experiments.
    The hollow had pressure sensitive plates that released a psychosis inducing drug.
    It was like something out of Scooby-Doo!

Puhlease.
    Sherlock in the books at least attempts to be human and somewhat a gentleman.
    The Sherlock from the modernized BBC version is just a cretin.

I like the series, but it's a far cry from the original material.
    I'm sure the American version can't be any worse.

tv_worm

[8]Sep 12, 2012
    • level: 12
    Just got to see the pilot too and I must say immediately after watching, this show went from being on my playlist to removed from it. This coming from someone who is tolerant to bad TV shows in the past. I just don't like the drug addled, weird Sherlock Holmes character they have come up with. Even if Jonny Lee Miller does a good job, his character just isn't all that good. I was excited about a modern version of the franchise but I dont think it works here. Lucy Liu as Watson was surprisingly not bad, funnily a woman playing Watson actually works but her character background is poorly done and I found the overall effect average. Unless this show drastically improves over its run, I dont intend to give it a second watch.

SilentOkami

[9]Sep 23, 2012

Sherlock has several advantages over a show like Elementary.

Limited 3 episode runs, which gives it time to craft one hell of a narrative, And then we have Steven Moffat, an absolutely brilliant writer who has improved upon Dr. Who and brought us the amazing British Couplings.

I will give Elementary a chance, but to even expect it to be anywhere near as good Sherlock or the original ( which I consider Jeremy Brett as THE Holmes ) is to expect way too much with an american adaptation.

So watch it with this in mind and you may enjoy the show for what it is... instead of what it is not.

saxyroro

[10]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 13
    I have a weird opinion too. I love Sherlock. Scandal in Belgravia is one of the finest pieces of TV out there, and I LOVE tv. Even watched it AGAIN after the Emmys. I watched the pilot and this is what I say. I like Jonny Lee MIller and the take they do on Watson. Could care less she's a girl. It was her "premise" that intrigued me once it was introduced. I say American's that watch CBS (only Craig Ferguson for me) I think this will be a hit with them. It won't make my playlist. But in fairness, I hate procedurals for the most part. Some people will really like this. I do wish him and Liu luck.

Guess I'll be watching the same 5 episodes over and over. Couldn't stand Baskervilles.

SaquibKabir

[11]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 4

Having just watched the pilot myself, i cant say i am disappointed at all! The US adaptation made several mistakes with "skins" " being human" , to name a few, but i feel this actually has far more promise than its ratings!!! those who did watch the british brilliance of steven moffat's Sherlock, just has get that perception of shelock out of their mind and watch this one afresh! i think this has potential if done right...nice "Starbucks" (BSG reference) twist!

mattgus

[12]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 14
    i think it is going to awsome..i just have a feeling...i think johnnt lee miller is oing to blow everybody away...

gtiger5

[13]Sep 27, 2012

Bad portrayal of sherlock holmes. Weird tourtured man solving crimes with a keen sense of observation. I would much rather watch mentalist. Gave it a try because i'm a fan of sherlock holmes but unfortunately it has not even come close to my expectations. If I were just watching the show and not know about the sherlock holmes connection I might have enjoyed it more.

cross_mr

[14]Sep 27, 2012
    I'm 6 minutes into this and already it's irritating me, not sure I'll make it through the pilot or not.

palle007

[15]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 5
    I haven't seen this one (yet), but I liked Eli Stone

tomtom1310

[16]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 2

Well, Lucy Liu as Sherlock...

...that would've been a gorgeous twist!!! now it's just looking as if they're trying to solve the "homo-problem" between sherlock and watson for the common american viewer

Edited on 09/29/2012 2:55pm

mnementh01

[17]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 14
    oscarolim wrote:
    Americans are good at copying indeed. Sherlock is British. Watson is a guy. Why can't americans just watch the very much superior original version?

You mean this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_%281939_film_series%29

Made in America by an American company, starring a South African actor?

By the way, I'm from the UK and Rathbone is my favourite Holmes, by far.

X-Philer

[18]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 4

A couple things:

1. This is not the first time Watson was made female. If you look up on wikipedia, there were two 2 tv movies pryor to Elementary (one in the 80s and one in the 90s) that were both modernized Holmes stories with a female Watson. Heck there was even a female Holmes once (so to speak): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Shirley_Holmes

2.I very much dislike the Basil Rathbone Holmes films. The issue is not Rathbone himself, (who I actually do like as Holmes), but the portrayal of Watson in those films. They make him out to be a bumbling fool only there for comedy relief.

I have the first season of the BBC's new Sherlock on bluray, and I'll pick up the 2nd season when I can. As for Elementary, it's fairly enjoyable. I like Lucy Liu's work in general. Is Jonny Lee Miller the best Holmes? Not really, but let's keep in mind this is not supposed to be the Sherlock Holmes of old. I prefer to not compare this Holmes to the others and let the show stand on its own. The one thing I dislike about BBC's Sherlock is how dependant it is on the original stories. For the most part they just update the existing body of work to modern times. I much prefer Elementary's approach of telling entirely new stories.

D-LinkUK

[19]Oct 14, 2012
    • level: 24

Elementary.... miles better then Sherlock, just like Leverage is miles better than Hustle.

Dec1964

[20]Oct 14, 2012
    • level: 33

I Love This Show.... nuff said.