Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 Returning October 30, 2014

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews (135)

• Writers of this show must be descendants of Agatha Christie

At first when I heard about this show I was like What the f ? female Watson, NewYork setup , Drug addict Sherlock and female Moriarty and that too Moriarty=Irene Adler. I thought that the show creators completely "messed up" Sherlock even though I still stand by my original hypothesis of this show after watching it I must say they "messed" him up "good". The mystery elements, unpredictability and new and innovative plots makes the show "awesome" detective series even better than the original Sherlock that is airing on bbc. Miller is awesome as a "detective" or "consultant" or the show creators version of "Sherlock". And even Luci Liu fits "Watson" or messed up version of original version. This show might very well give Sir Arthur Conan Doyle a "heart attack" but the mystery plots would definitely give him a "smile".
  • Gran serie

La encuentro interesante en muchos aspectos. En primer lugar, los guiones son originales con menciones a algunos argumentos clsicos de las novelas. En segundo lugar, la interpretacin de los 2 protagonistas me parece sensacional. En tercer lugar, la idea de cambiar de sexo a Watson me ha parecido sorprendente y le ha dado una perspectiva muy atractiva a la relacin entre ellos. Sin duda una gran serie.
  • Elementary Sound

It's not just me! Fix the sound quality on this show! Your poor standards destroy the pleasure of viewing an otherwise well-scripted and acted production. Read the comments. We can't follow the dialogue. What is wrong with you people?
  • Elementary Fashion

Fashion of Elementary for Episode 24

2-episode-24
  • It's elementary to like "Elementary" :)

Unpredictability, mystery, crime solving, personal issues, love, past-present connections, friendship, did i write unpredictability? Well it's worth writing again! :D

There aren't many words I can say about this show as a rather neutral observer, it's just so damn good, and Jonny Lee Miller and his british accent keep staggering me every time!

Oh well, hopefully it'll stick around for some years, thank God it's on CBS too, I'm not sure how the show would have done on a different, less watched network, but that's just my opinion.

10 out of 10 and go on, Elementary!
  • Things are out of place

Does anyone know if the producers of the show purposely put things out of place in the show? I realized that in more than one episode, when a scene is shown things are out of place.... For example Season 2 episode 9 about 21 minutes in, sherlock and watson argue that he should be nicer to the cops, the cup on the table keeps moving form left to right of watson's phone....

Love the show btw, just became a
  • Help with the volume of this show

I love this show and all of its characters. The problem I have is I can't hear most of the dialogue. I have to move the volume almost to top line to hear Sherlock and then when the ads come on....... hurry to mute or turn down. How can this show's volume get turned up so people like me can hear it??

Thank you.
  • Art in the Blood as Double Entendre

The brother's Holmes have reached an impasse it would seem. Mycroft must be removed from the domestic ecosystem at hand in order for the show to have the energy and flow it needs to be what it has become, which is Watson as caretaker to Sherlock who is then able to thrive. This is hardly a departure from Conan Doyle's portrayal of Dr. Watson and his relationship with both his wife and Sherlock. Yes, Watson needs a life outside of Holmes in order to establish any degree of credibility, but she must also be drawn to him in ways that defy whatever romantic interludes or relationships she explores outside their world. I must say I was disappointed with the rushed resolution of the Watson/Mycroft dilemma. Frankly, I also have a difficult time seeing them in bed together. There is no chemistry, and Mycroft is just, well, not leading man material in that sense. Okay, I admit it. I think Lucy Liu is totally hot and I see her with someone like, I don't
  • Soap Opera Shark Jumping

3.5
    This current multipart episode of Elementary has made me think of Whoopie Goldberg's rant in Soapdish. I mean, Watson has been a wonderful female character for most of the series, but suddenly, with regard to Sherlock's skeezy brother, rationality and judgement go out the window. In one scene, she is justifiably telling him she can never believe him and so she will have nothing more to do with him, and by the next day she is in bed with him?? Even if his latest version of his actions and motivations is accurate, he has still been dishonest with her, but suddenly that no longer matters??. And even in the previous episode, Sherlock had been reduced from the genius detective to an inept person who conveniently turns his back on his brother so he can be tased. And the only reason Mycroft and Watson are still alive is because the mobsters did not immediately obey their boss's instruction to "kill

And wait a minute, what ever happened to Mycroft's illness?

I think the scriptwriters need to think more carefully about the integrity of their characters.

I am so sorry about this, because the show has been one of my favorites until recently.
  • ENOUGH!!! I HATE THE SHACK-UP!! GOOD BY!!

THAT WAS THE END, FOLKS. there was no need for them to have sex and no need for Sherlock to walk in on them. i will never watch again.
  • Getting sick of the brother

I'm just about ready to stop watching. Will see what Season Finale brings. Lucy Liu's character is a jerk, and it makes me sick that she keeps doing it with Sherlock's brother. It's a betrayal and I can't stand her. Sherlock obviously cares for her, but she doesn't care. I'm sick of that brother coming around and taking what belongs to his brother and thinking nothing of it.

And as a side, yes, the sound is too low. I have a hard time understanding Sherlock, and especially with his accent. Also, is Lucy Liu pregnant? She has gained weight, and while she still looks fine, I'm wondering if it's because she's in the early stages of pregnancy.
  • Whispering wimpers is series undoing

One would think in a competitive marketplace that a TV show's producers would do everything tpossible to deliver content in a suitable manner. Getting people to watch should be a matter of whether the content is enticing. The whispering and low talking on this show is maddening. Adjusting the volume for Sherlock's whispering leads to excessive volume for everything else. As a DJ, 45 years ago, I knew how to equalize sound levels, why can't these jerks do it. I expect this will be my last season if they don't fix it.
  • Bad Sound

I had to stop watching this show because the sound is so bad. You must watch it with the remote in your hand and then I STILL MISS ALL THE dialogue. WHAT UP ?
  • Good entertainment

Most shows are very good to watch. Except when Sherlock's brother comes around. Then you can just skip the episode.
  • Surprisingly good show!

At first I thought the Sherlock character was very Liu is cool as always and so HOT! But now I see enough of Sherlock Holmes character that I look forward to it! Watson adds to the show as well as being so lovely.
  • A nice replacement for NCIS

It took me a couple of episodes before I began to like this team but now I don't miss the show. This season I had to give up another crime show and this is a welcome replacement. The characters are strong, acting and script well done. The background characters are on enough so you are vested but they don't overrun the main characters. They've had several interesting storylines and unique backstories, like how they took in two roosters. Lucy Lui is strong to his silent character and it works. Highly recommend you watch a couple shows before you pass judgment on it.
  • Sherlock Holmes would never "Reach Out"

Concerning Elementary, there's almost nothing that can be said as a criticism of the show itself. Of all the latest attempts to revive the character of Sherlock Holmes, Elementary's version is the only one that is both dramatically compelling AND humanly possible. By that I simply mean that Elementary's Sherlock Holmes might very well exist as an actual human being and not just a dramatic or comical character deliberately created for the screen.

However, in going over the total of the first year's episodes and keeping up to date on the second season, I have noted that the phrase "reached out" used as a substitute for "called," "contacted," "telephoned," etc. has been used on an average of 2.5 times per episode and has been used more than once by each of the main characters.

Now, ignoring the fact that the phrase "reached out" actually has a specific meaning in the English language that has nothing to do with emailing, telephoning or sending someone a letter and is only the latest in a sad, sick list of faddish PC phrases utilized by certain pseudo intellectuals in an attempt to impress everyone and offend no one, the fact is that Sherlock Holmes in any of his incarnations would never be party to such a usage. Given that Elementary's Sherlock is fascinated with internet shorthand, he is enamored because such a use serves to make communication concise, and above all Precise!!! OMG may be a fad but there's no question about what it means. The phrase "reached out" is the opposite. Does it mean you telephoned, emailed, texted, met with, skyped, twittered? Or could it even mean that you appealed for someone's help or attempted to help someone in a crisis which is the original meaning of the phrase. Like most PCisms, "reached out" seems to mean something but actually could mean almost anything.

Sherlock Holmes is, above all, a man with a passionate belief in the value of DETAIL. He would never use such a meaningless phrase, nor would he let anyone else use it without questioning what the speaker actually meant.

Worst of all, in my opinion, in having all the characters use this absurd PCism in, quite literally, EVERY episode, the watcher is subconsciously reminded that the characters in the show are the creations of a writer, that the characters lack actual individuality, speaking far too much and far too often exactly like each other to be considered individuals with their own linguistic quirks.

My personal theory is that the newest PCism, "reach out" dates back to the old ATT television ads that tried to convince us to Reach Out And Touch Someone. It's sad to think that such an empty and trivial bit of jargon should have infected television screenplay writers like a lethal virus. Sadder still: although the phrase is rampant on many television shows of the last three years, Elementary is the worst offender.
  • Absolutely love Sherlock and Watson

Johnny and Lucy, you are amazing, I plan my week around you. You guys have grown on me and I would be lost when the season ends. I love both of your unique qualities and interaction with each other and with other cast members. Only one little thing I wish was different, if Johnny can speak a little louder and clearer, at times you mumble and I am forced to use closed captioning because I don't want to miss one word that you are saying. But, keep up the good work, I looking forward to seeing a lot more of both of you.
  • Performances are good, but scripts are lacking

There have been a couple of Sherlock shows in recent years (UK - Sherlock, USA - Elementary) and they both seem to suffer the same issues.

The level of acting is great in both, but as the shows pass by each episode gets less and less "Holmesian" and more and more any old cop show.

There are fewer and fewer real Sherlock like insights into cases, the kind of leads that no-one else could see. Elementary suffers even more too, as there are just so many episodes to write, and they have to be kept brief most of the time to fit in with schedules.

Still, they are both better than average, but they are trending in the wrong direction, and good cast performances can only hold your interest for so long...
  • OK but pretty average.

There's nothing really wrong with Elementary. It a fairly average procedural with a good cast. The problem is that it's supposed to be about Sherlock Holmes. As such the cases should be solved through deduction but usually end up being solved through luck.

Not the worst programme and perfectly watchable but nothing special.
  • Depth & strong performance

Enjoyed this episode ( the diabolical kind) - Strong performance by Natalie Dormer as moriarty, good onscreen dynamic with JLM. Interesting plot, great use of cipher & steganography.

There is depth & elegance that enrich the series.
  • Meh!! Average at best!

To be honest while I enjoy this show I just don't think it's the best show out there. Sure, it's had a few good episodes, but I have found most of the episodes to be boring, and I just can't seem to like the characters that much. What I really enjoy about TV (apart from good storyline) is characters that I can relate to or that I can really enjoy and I'm just not finding that in this show.
  • Natalie performances

Great adaptation of old Holmes traits. Natalie Dormer was absolutely outstanding as Irene Adler. Your writing is very creative. You are to be commended.
  • Just not that great

I'm with sippyber - I've watched about 30 episodes of this show and I have to say I'm just not that impressed. All episodes run the same pattern, 1. Dead body found 2. Make us believe that suspect one is the guilty person 3. Sherlock comes in and questions why 4. Sherlock believes it's suspect No. 2 due to some crazy theory or crack in the wall 5. Sherlock is right. If you want to see a superbly written/acted show, watch The Returned on the Sundance Channel. France has us beat as far as intriguing shows with interesting characters.
  • Elementary & Sherlock: what makes the difference (Sherlock obviously wins)

4.5
    I've never found the show particularly intriguing: no good stories, no brilliant scripts and dialogue but most of all I don't find the actors convincing. At all.

Especially Lucy Liu, whose character (and acting) is the weakest. Aidan Quinn is the best.

BUT! I watched Sherlock in the last few days, without any expectation and... wow!!!

That's a Show with a capital letter! Mr Cumberbatch and coworkers really do a great, great job. Helped by polished scripts, wonderful settings, great directing, terrific care to the smallest detail.

Producers please put your money in the British show and close the agonizing Elementary. . I'm not British, nor American, just neutral as Switzerland)
  • ADORE

I absolutely adore this show. Jonny and Lucy are increadibly good in it.
  • Everybody Hates Sherlock

In this week's episode, Tremors, Holmes is hauled up the carpet in front of a police review board because his actions in solving a case gets a colleague (spoiler) shot. The review board will recommend whether Holmes and Watson will continue on as consultants to the NYPD. Throughout the hearing, Holmes is arrogant, condescending and, well, Holmes. Watson and Gregson plead with him to change his attitude to no avail. He digs his heels in and refuses to budge which provokes Watson to confess, "You know, for a genius, sometimes you can be a total It was a genuine sentiment that we all heard in our lives. The board makes its recommendation and we find out the result. The episode ends with an unresolved issue between Holmes and his wounded colleague.
  • indubitably My Dear Watson

I have always been a fan of Lucy Liu and love that I can watch an episode each week with her in it.

Lucy send me an autographed photo if you get a chance - I would be so grateful!

Johnny Lee Miller does fantastic job as Sherlock.

I love the twist that is happening with Sherlock's brother.

I love this latest version of Sherlock Holmes hope it goes another season.
  • Best Written show

What more can I say???? This is one of the best written show and character development I have every watched.
  • My dear Watson

Love the show, but it helps that the cast is so phenomenal!

I have to say, I'm not as observant as Sherlock or Joan, but I do love the way these people are always dressing Watson in short skirts... Lucy Liu's legs FTW!!
< 1 2 3 4 5