Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 In Season

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews page 2 of 6

• Art in the Blood as Double Entendre

The brother's Holmes have reached an impasse it would seem. Mycroft must be removed from the domestic ecosystem at hand in order for the show to have the energy and flow it needs to be what it has become, which is Watson as caretaker to Sherlock who is then able to thrive. This is hardly a departure from Conan Doyle's portrayal of Dr. Watson and his relationship with both his wife and Sherlock. Yes, Watson needs a life outside of Holmes in order to establish any degree of credibility, but she must also be drawn to him in ways that defy whatever romantic interludes or relationships she explores outside their world. I must say I was disappointed with the rushed resolution of the Watson/Mycroft dilemma. Frankly, I also have a difficult time seeing them in bed together. There is no chemistry, and Mycroft is just, well, not leading man material in that sense. Okay, I admit it. I think Lucy Liu is totally hot and I see her with someone like, I don't
  • Soap Opera Shark Jumping

3.5
    This current multipart episode of Elementary has made me think of Whoopie Goldberg's rant in Soapdish. I mean, Watson has been a wonderful female character for most of the series, but suddenly, with regard to Sherlock's skeezy brother, rationality and judgement go out the window. In one scene, she is justifiably telling him she can never believe him and so she will have nothing more to do with him, and by the next day she is in bed with him?? Even if his latest version of his actions and motivations is accurate, he has still been dishonest with her, but suddenly that no longer matters??. And even in the previous episode, Sherlock had been reduced from the genius detective to an inept person who conveniently turns his back on his brother so he can be tased. And the only reason Mycroft and Watson are still alive is because the mobsters did not immediately obey their boss's instruction to "kill

And wait a minute, what ever happened to Mycroft's illness?

I think the scriptwriters need to think more carefully about the integrity of their characters.

I am so sorry about this, because the show has been one of my favorites until recently.
  • ENOUGH!!! I HATE THE SHACK-UP!! GOOD BY!!

THAT WAS THE END, FOLKS. there was no need for them to have sex and no need for Sherlock to walk in on them. i will never watch again.
  • Getting sick of the brother

I'm just about ready to stop watching. Will see what Season Finale brings. Lucy Liu's character is a jerk, and it makes me sick that she keeps doing it with Sherlock's brother. It's a betrayal and I can't stand her. Sherlock obviously cares for her, but she doesn't care. I'm sick of that brother coming around and taking what belongs to his brother and thinking nothing of it.

And as a side, yes, the sound is too low. I have a hard time understanding Sherlock, and especially with his accent. Also, is Lucy Liu pregnant? She has gained weight, and while she still looks fine, I'm wondering if it's because she's in the early stages of pregnancy.
  • Whispering wimpers is series undoing

One would think in a competitive marketplace that a TV show's producers would do everything tpossible to deliver content in a suitable manner. Getting people to watch should be a matter of whether the content is enticing. The whispering and low talking on this show is maddening. Adjusting the volume for Sherlock's whispering leads to excessive volume for everything else. As a DJ, 45 years ago, I knew how to equalize sound levels, why can't these jerks do it. I expect this will be my last season if they don't fix it.
  • Bad Sound

I had to stop watching this show because the sound is so bad. You must watch it with the remote in your hand and then I STILL MISS ALL THE dialogue. WHAT UP ?
  • Good entertainment

Most shows are very good to watch. Except when Sherlock's brother comes around. Then you can just skip the episode.
  • Surprisingly good show!

At first I thought the Sherlock character was very Liu is cool as always and so HOT! But now I see enough of Sherlock Holmes character that I look forward to it! Watson adds to the show as well as being so lovely.
  • A nice replacement for NCIS

It took me a couple of episodes before I began to like this team but now I don't miss the show. This season I had to give up another crime show and this is a welcome replacement. The characters are strong, acting and script well done. The background characters are on enough so you are vested but they don't overrun the main characters. They've had several interesting storylines and unique backstories, like how they took in two roosters. Lucy Lui is strong to his silent character and it works. Highly recommend you watch a couple shows before you pass judgment on it.
  • Absolutely love Sherlock and Watson

Johnny and Lucy, you are amazing, I plan my week around you. You guys have grown on me and I would be lost when the season ends. I love both of your unique qualities and interaction with each other and with other cast members. Only one little thing I wish was different, if Johnny can speak a little louder and clearer, at times you mumble and I am forced to use closed captioning because I don't want to miss one word that you are saying. But, keep up the good work, I looking forward to seeing a lot more of both of you.
  • Performances are good, but scripts are lacking

There have been a couple of Sherlock shows in recent years (UK - Sherlock, USA - Elementary) and they both seem to suffer the same issues.

The level of acting is great in both, but as the shows pass by each episode gets less and less "Holmesian" and more and more any old cop show.

There are fewer and fewer real Sherlock like insights into cases, the kind of leads that no-one else could see. Elementary suffers even more too, as there are just so many episodes to write, and they have to be kept brief most of the time to fit in with schedules.

Still, they are both better than average, but they are trending in the wrong direction, and good cast performances can only hold your interest for so long...
  • OK but pretty average.

There's nothing really wrong with Elementary. It a fairly average procedural with a good cast. The problem is that it's supposed to be about Sherlock Holmes. As such the cases should be solved through deduction but usually end up being solved through luck.

Not the worst programme and perfectly watchable but nothing special.
  • Depth & strong performance

Enjoyed this episode ( the diabolical kind) - Strong performance by Natalie Dormer as moriarty, good onscreen dynamic with JLM. Interesting plot, great use of cipher & steganography.

There is depth & elegance that enrich the series.
  • Meh!! Average at best!

To be honest while I enjoy this show I just don't think it's the best show out there. Sure, it's had a few good episodes, but I have found most of the episodes to be boring, and I just can't seem to like the characters that much. What I really enjoy about TV (apart from good storyline) is characters that I can relate to or that I can really enjoy and I'm just not finding that in this show.
  • Natalie performances

Great adaptation of old Holmes traits. Natalie Dormer was absolutely outstanding as Irene Adler. Your writing is very creative. You are to be commended.
  • Just not that great

I'm with sippyber - I've watched about 30 episodes of this show and I have to say I'm just not that impressed. All episodes run the same pattern, 1. Dead body found 2. Make us believe that suspect one is the guilty person 3. Sherlock comes in and questions why 4. Sherlock believes it's suspect No. 2 due to some crazy theory or crack in the wall 5. Sherlock is right. If you want to see a superbly written/acted show, watch The Returned on the Sundance Channel. France has us beat as far as intriguing shows with interesting characters.
  • Elementary & Sherlock: what makes the difference (Sherlock obviously wins)

4.5
    I've never found the show particularly intriguing: no good stories, no brilliant scripts and dialogue but most of all I don't find the actors convincing. At all.

Especially Lucy Liu, whose character (and acting) is the weakest. Aidan Quinn is the best.

BUT! I watched Sherlock in the last few days, without any expectation and... wow!!!

That's a Show with a capital letter! Mr Cumberbatch and coworkers really do a great, great job. Helped by polished scripts, wonderful settings, great directing, terrific care to the smallest detail.

Producers please put your money in the British show and close the agonizing Elementary. . I'm not British, nor American, just neutral as Switzerland)
  • Everybody Hates Sherlock

In this week's episode, Tremors, Holmes is hauled up the carpet in front of a police review board because his actions in solving a case gets a colleague (spoiler) shot. The review board will recommend whether Holmes and Watson will continue on as consultants to the NYPD. Throughout the hearing, Holmes is arrogant, condescending and, well, Holmes. Watson and Gregson plead with him to change his attitude to no avail. He digs his heels in and refuses to budge which provokes Watson to confess, "You know, for a genius, sometimes you can be a total It was a genuine sentiment that we all heard in our lives. The board makes its recommendation and we find out the result. The episode ends with an unresolved issue between Holmes and his wounded colleague.
  • indubitably My Dear Watson

I have always been a fan of Lucy Liu and love that I can watch an episode each week with her in it.

Lucy send me an autographed photo if you get a chance - I would be so grateful!

Johnny Lee Miller does fantastic job as Sherlock.

I love the twist that is happening with Sherlock's brother.

I love this latest version of Sherlock Holmes hope it goes another season.
  • Best Written show

What more can I say???? This is one of the best written show and character development I have every watched.
  • My dear Watson

Love the show, but it helps that the cast is so phenomenal!

I have to say, I'm not as observant as Sherlock or Joan, but I do love the way these people are always dressing Watson in short skirts... Lucy Liu's legs FTW!!
  • clothing optional

I really love all the shows but how come Lucy is wearing the same shoes in every recent show and sometimes just reversing what she is wearing ? if I notice this younger people must is there a clothing allowance?
  • Where's Gladstone?

The only thing that could make this show better is if Gladstone joined the cast!! Definitely a favorite of the whole family!
  • Poison Pen lacks latex knowledge - do your homework!

I am latex enthusiast. We are a large group of folks. We wear latex clothing and even enjoy events specifically designed to celebrate rubber! I have a large couture collection of latex and I've been in the hobby for several years. I can tell you that whoever wrote this show didn't do their homework. Maybe they did and because what they found didn't fit the story they decided to punt. But, as a latex enthusiast I was more than disappointed. I really like this show and I've been impressed by the level of authenticity that the writers have brought to it. But not this time.

1) We do put our latex on by ourselves. Even gimp suits you can put on by yourself. Helping hands is nice, but not required. I have a friend who regularly zips himself into a sleepsack. The character on the show is just wearing a simple catsuit. VERY easy to get into by yourself.

2) Most enthusiasts don't use talcum powder anymore. There are much better products on the market. Vivashine is one and if we don't have that we usually use a silicone based lube.

3) You did get the acronyms correct - CP and OTK. Well done, but that's not tough to find out. Any fetish board will tell you that.

Next time if you need some help try finding folks who know more than you do. The Baroness in NY is a great resource and might have been a good place to get better information.

Also - as a professional Domme, I resent the way the Domme on the show was referred to with such disdain.
  • What's going on???

When watching Elementary, I noticed that there was a background commentary. I have also noticed it with other shows such as Bones. I'm wondering if it's the programmes or the channel Sky Living? Does anyone know hat's going on? Love Elementary though!!! fantastic cast and storyline!! AMAZING!!!
  • a good adaptation

I really like this adaptation of the characters of Sherlock Holmes' books, especially Joan Watson played by Lucy Liu. I mean it won't beat Moffat's series which i just love and adore but still, it's very enjoyable to look at.
  • Wonderful!

Great acting and story lines, keeps you on your toes. Need more episodes without Moriarty.
  • Bad time slot

In looking at the time slot, Elementary should maybe have been moved to another slot. To have to go up against Scandal each week will be hard.
  • Better than the BBC version (in a TV series kind of way)

Although Cumberbatch is unbeatable as Holmes (and Moffat does a incredible job in both series ''Sherlock'' and ''Dr. Who''), here are some of the reasons why I think ''Elementary'' is better than the BBC's Sherlock:

1- Although not based on the originals, the scripts of the CBS show are closer to the spirit of the original stories (a reading of some of them is a must) ;

2- As a series, 42 minutes is best suited for TV than 90;

3- Holmes was not as socially stupid as in Moffat's vision;

4- At least for one dozen episodes, no mention of Moriarty (but i think it's was clever the new encarnation of this nemesis).

Hell hath no fury greater than a scorned Moriarty.

The character of Moriarty, as Holmes's greatest enemy, was introduced primarily as a narrative device to enable Conan Doyle to kill off Sherlock Holmes, and only featured directly in two of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

IN either version, the BBC's or the absurd version of Downey Jr,

Moriarty is overused. Enough of that.

The actors are very well and possibly will improve.

REASSESSING after the 5th episode: Jonny L. Miller and are continuously improving in their roles, as well as the dialogues.

I'm in Brazil, where the TV programs are horrible, basically soap operas in prime time, so i turn to UK and USA, source of the best television on the planet.

• What I like and don't like about Elementary

OK, lets do this in point form.

Like:Good acting by star-improving by female co-star

Dislike:In the USA(not meaning to hack on the US but it's British)

Like:Good story lines

Dislike:Moriarty is a weak villain

Like:Good modern retelling that is different from the BBC version

Like:Great support characters

Dislike: Watson has no link to the military as per the character should

Dislike: Where is Holmes's brother?

This show could have really bombed for me but I must admit that I tune in every week without fail. Whats more Im starting to really become a fan. I just wish the Watson had more depth and Moriarty was a better, more engaging bad guy. But next season might see an improvement. Lets hope so.
1 2 3 4 5 6