Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 In Season

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews page 3 of 5

• Missed it

set my dvr to record it but superbowl time slot ran long and i missed it. Will it be rebraodcast.
  • Turning into a ordinary

I was opposed to watching this show since it took Sherlock and made it with a twist, to cater to US market.

Only difference to original is Watson being a woman.

Still I watched the pilot, it looked interesting and now I'm watching each episode and find it engaging and interesting.

But, the show is, after initial few episodes, starting to become a standard procedural with banal solutions, obvious endings and nothing much in between. I'm scared it would turn into another MONK.

Eccentric investigator, women companion, strange cases no one would solve.. if it wasn't branded Sherlock it could as easily be Monk.

So, I hope the show would stir things a bit and look at the cannon stories for inspiration. I give it 7 for now.
  • I dont get it

Trust me I love the show... but I'm just confused...

If Sherlock Holmes is so uber observerant, upon meeting Dr. Joan Watson, wouldnt he ask "Why is your surname Watson?"
  • deducacation all the way!!!!

LOVE this show. is funny fresh and alround exciting. you always want more. also love the banter between holmes and watson.
  • Elementary is my Favorite Show!

I really enjoy good 'who done it' mysteries but not the CSI kind. I've liked it from the start and really look forward to watching the next episode every week.
  • Hooked on!!!

Getting better and better...
  • EXCELLEMENTARY!!!!!!

WHAT AN INVIGORATING AND EXHILARATING SHOW... FULL OF TWISTS AND INTELLIGENT WAYS OF SOLVING MYSTERIES! A MUST WATCH FOR EVERYONE ....
  • I'll give it a chance!

5.5
    I have only seen the first 2 episodes as of now but I am still willing to give it a chance to prove itself to me. It has a wonderful potential, beautiful shots and the acting/writing is decent. Johnny Lee Miller is amazing in the part and so is Lucy Liu who I love and adore from her previous TV shows Ally McBeal, Cashmere Mafia and Dirty Sexy Money and many many other things. But this show might not be right for me, I am not a big fan of procedural crime shows. Although I often found myself bored and checking the time while watching this I will give it a chance and watch a few more episodes. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually start enjoying it. [5.5/10]
  • Elementary's "Wannabe" cleverness is it's own downfall ...

First of all. It's inevitable not to compare this show to the BBC's Sherlock. It's when this show got a hit the US had to make their own version.

Although it's not a complete remake of the UK's version and made some original twists their own, the character Sherlock is pretty much the same idea. Highly intelligent, photographic skills and highly observant with excellent deducting skills.

But there are some problems with the US take on this (after watching 5 eps, will update if it changes):

1) You can deduct a complete episode yourself most of the time, even before Sherlock does. Or the solution is so far-fetched it's just unbelievable, unlikely or plain stupid. You can even see how they reverse dialogs and scenes. Starting with the outcome and then figuring out a clever way to get there.

2) (A common TV show mistake:) Taking actors that are pretty much known already in the TV world and make them the "offenders" is making it so predictable.

3) The actors, acting, atmosphere and characters are nowhere near as exiting as with the UK version.

The thing is: It's not nearly as smart and clever as the UK's version. It's actually quite easy and stupid. Together with a less eccentric role from Jonny Lee Miller, who i usually enjoy, and a kinda plain boring Watson played by Lucy Liu it's just not as exiting as the excellent and weird Benedict Cumberbatch and goofy and funny Martin Freeman from the UK's version. There is an original idea behind these 2 characters. With Elementary? It's just the same usual stereotyping and settings you get in 90% of the other shows in the US.

But comparing it with Sherlock is just one way to look at it. I can't help myself comparing it. But letting that perspective go i can't say this is a better then average show. I even consider shows like "Person of Interest", "Bones" or "Criminal minds", which aren't perfect either and i consider fillers, better then this one.

But maybe they will find their way. It won't be the first show that needs to grow and some tweaks to make it click. But they really need to make some choices. Make it more funny, build up better and interesting characters or just make the stories and plots better. Just do something with it. Because now it's nothing more then a grey mouse.

• elem fan review

I think this is a great show, all shows have something that people choose to find fault in. I hope this show is around for many seasons to come.
  • Dispose of Moriarty quickly.

'Elementary' quickly became one of my favorites. While your failure to recognize that using the famous names (Holmes and Watson) without logical explanation within the stories, even losing the numerous humor asides, rankles badly, all else is acceptable, entertaining, even challenging. I caution you (the writers) to not fall into the trap of holding on to the mythical bad guy (Moriarty) so long that I and others become weary of your efforts to bake him into a thematic background. I give you three episodes max. before I drop you like a hot potato.
  • Elementary Watson

What a perfect show and the main actors are brilliant choice.
  • emmet

I love this show; is very nice to see this great detective

• elemfan

I love this show it is what it is people ask so much from tv shows this is a good show will watch it as long as its on tv. slappers has new meaning for me now.
  • Moriarty

It's a good show, but not the best. But it has real potential. I wonder when they're putting the crime lord super villain into it. There should be like some sort of super cliff hanger where a gloved hand gives the flight attendant a ticket with the name "Moriarty James" printed on it and she like tears it and give him the other half. Then you could like hear his voice say "thank you" and the flight attendant responds!!! and SCENE!!!
  • lucy liu

an ok unsherlock lol but lucy liu OMG! i must confess she's the reason i watch the 40+ she's still super hott!
  • best new show

Dah! He's Sherlock III not Sherlock I. Please allow him to be himself. Lucy Liu as Watson is marvelous first amazed then befuddled and then exacerbated by Sherlock. The fact that one frequently knows the killer because of familiarity with the actor is disturbing. But over all I think this show is the best show I've seen in the 2012 season.
  • update: worse and worse and worse

1.5
    For someone who claims he never guesses (first episode) this Sherlock sure guesses a lot. Very very unSherlockian. The book Holmes never guesses. Yet in each episode this one does.

This Sherlock has tattoos. Holmes is many things, including a druggie, but frivolous he's not.

The show is fun but the logic is weak and the stories are lame. Some of the deductions are laughable.

Too bad they just couldn't have went with a made up eccentric character based on Holmes. To stray this far away from the spirit of the man is going to far. This is no Holmes I've ever known.

• Elementary - Solid Entertainment

Although this is good, it falls short in comparison to Sherlock. A majority of episodes are satisfying and enjoyable but I wouldn't classify it as golden media except for a couple of pieces. The idea of Dr Watson as a woman is interesting but it does not exemplify the relationship between the two characters that much. I'm glad that the show takes particular note of Sherlock's habits and interests into hand and those moments like where he's picking locks is very satisfying. The concept of integrating the world of Sherlock Holmes into modern society isn't original though.
  • I just love it.

The show uses uncommon facts to solve crimes so it makes you smarter and it's entertaining. Who can't like this?
  • Stands on its own merits

As someone who has seen every Sherlock Holmes , series, tv movie ,etc,, (literally) i wasnt keen when i first heard of this and saw the cast....

In particular Lucy Liu, (wth) but she does kinda grow on you as the series progresses, but never in a million years would i have thought to cast her as Watson,,,

Though I do like the idea of it being a female Watson, its just the contrast between these two actors is in my opinion not a good one

Anyways getting back to the plots themselves, its actually all right they didnt try to over do it and yet enough to keep you interested, or in my case 2 steps ahead of the clues and shouting at the TV "Its that woman you just past in the elevator played by a well known actor from another series"

PS : dont make the smmistake of comparing it to any other Sherlock Holmes book or otherwise, and my fav Sherlock actor prior to the recent BBC revival in 2011 was Jeremy Brett
  • Elementary

I love this show. Its fresh and exciting. Its not like other Sherlock movies, shows, etc, which to me is what makes this show unique and it all works!

I think people compare this show to other Shelock movies, shows, books, etc. watch the show itself and don't comapre the show to the others, but its is a great show and its unique in its own way!

I mean, how boring would it be if evertything was the same?!!
  • Modern, unique, and the writers are great.

It's good to see a detective show that is in the modern world.

Johnny Lee Miller is great, so are all the actors, I think Sherlock Holmes himself would be proud of this!
  • Unfavorable Changes

Not every Sherlock created can be what is the real Sherlock Holmes...

Maybe fun, but belittling our memories of Sherlock

And who is this Watson? this one is lame!!

The original stories and characters are what decades people loved. This one is temporary and easily gets forgotten.
  • Coolest new show on TV

I have always loved Sherlock. My favorite was Basil Rathbone. This new version is up to date and just as complicated as the old ones.
  • FLAT OUT

Best Show on TV

I've always loved Sherlock Holmes in Books and Movies. Great to see him now excell as a character of the 21st Century.
  • A good show, especially with the history this has to live with.

This in my opinion, has made a promising start, have watched first few episodes now and am enjoying this show in its own right, not just because it's a Sherlock Holmes series.

There have been lot of remakes and films all with slightly different takes on he theme, loads bad, some mediocre, and some great notably the Jeremy Brett series but that was mainly the first series I watched and enjoyed of Sherlock Holmes, so may be biased there as you mainly judge anything against what was first for you.

Getting back to Elementary, way to early to put in the 'greats' but certainly not poor. Like the fact there is a Joan Watson and she's there initially to help counsel Sherlock, because it does give Sherlock a flawed side, in Conan Doyle's book he did have a drug problem but also I believe Sherlock has to be flawed to be that good. He seems to tunnel what he's thinking and deducting, and maybe he does bounce around and rush and be unaware of social niceties, but if he was brilliant all-around he would b very boring. It's this that highlights his brilliance in one area means less in another. These faults give Watson a genuine reason to be there and together they make a 'rounded' person.

This brings me to my but!

I do think Watson and Sherlock work well together its what makes the show higher up in the mediocre category. It's there interactions and jibes and the fact Joan Watson isn't just a sidekick to look good and in some areas betters Holmes. This if developed could make this series great.

The but is I hope the writters carry on like this and yes please develop the characters further, but please don't develop the characters so as many series do that it turns into a soap opera of will they/won't they and it's all about small conflicts of normal life. Yes make it real but please don't dwell on stories or sub plots which are in soaps. If I want to watch a soap i will but at other times I don't.

I believe if they avoid this trap too much then this has possibility of being 'great'

Only time will tell but good start.

• love this show, great cast and interesting story so far

love the cast. both main characters and aidan are fantastic. i used to really like him back in "practical magic"

hope you keep it up!
  • Only Granada TV did better than this

For ten years, between 1984 and 1994, Granada TV made the best adaptations EVER of the stories of Conan Doyle for audio visual media.

The transcripts were virtually perfect, very faithful and intelligent. And Benjamin Brett was and always will be the authentic incarnation of Sherlock Holmes in any media.

But here the CBS achieves similar results with a masterfully adapted vision for the present day.

New York certainly would be no better choice than London, but the end result is exceptional.

Better than the BBC version indeed, my dear watchers.
  • Very unique, clever and fun

I do love this show.

The characters are portrayed wonderfully, and the script is unique. Its all different than the run of the mill murders, and each episode bring a death out in a new way not commonly found in other shows.

Sherlock himself, is shown as being very quirky, and anti social, and rather brash! It is wonderful!!!
1 2 3 4 5