Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 Returning October 30, 2014

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews page 3 of 5

• Love this show, but have a confession

I have been a major Sherlock Holmes fan since I was a kid. Read all the books, went to the mock 221b Baker street apartment in London when I was there (adorable place, seriously). I've seen, probably, every single version of TV show or movie based on the concepts of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

I had planned to HATE this show. I was, not necessarily a purist, but a traditionalist.

I was wrong. I really like this show.

Yes it has it's flaws. But it's growing on me. From the apartment, to the characters. I like it.

But I have a SPOILER I have to get off my chest. Please forgive me. (and if you haven't seen the episode "-M" DO NOT READ BELOW)

After seeing "M"- I have to admit- I have a strong feeling that Moriarty is Sherlock's father. That his dad is kind of schizophrenic, or just flat out psycopathic. That he is Moriarity. But he went too far when he didn't like Sherlock's lover, killed her, discovered that it messed up his son, the only one really smart enough to "play" with, so he had to put the guy through rehab and recovery so he could continue to "play". I really, really think M is Sherlock's dad.

I really hope I'm wrong.
  • It's elementary that it's a good show

Okay, I'll say it: I like this new show and I don't care if it's American and not British (Don't know if BBC's Sherlock is better since I haven't watched it, but I don't want to compare). I know this is not perfect (it has some details I don't like) but, in my point of view, Elementary is one the best new tv series. And that means that it's officially part of my favorites. Let's explain why.

I like Jonny Lee Miller's character. I always thought that Sherlock Holmes was a great character but now that it's portrayed by the british actor, I feel like it's better. Jonny is doing a great job, his acting skills are pretty good, the way he speaks... everything convinces me. Holmes is an enigmatic character and I like how the writters keep it in this new series. Even if Sherlok is no longer living in London but in Brooklyn, New York -and is part of the XXI century- it's impossible for me to feel disappointed. Sure he now helps to the NYPD solving the most difficult cases, and he has those deductive skills you can't hate. This is actually why I love this show, because he's such an excellent detective capable of solving mysteries that nobody else would.

Joan Watson. I like that character too. I never expected it to be a woman, in fact at first -when I saw a promo talking about this- I thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would be angry if he were alive to see it. But I ended up loving this character, and especially because of their relationship with Holmes. I do like the story is forming between them. Joan really cares about Holmes, and vice-versa, one aspect that I really like.

Watson being a doctor was also a good addition. But she decided to work as sober companion to help addicted people to fix their lives, and that was the best decision she made. (Yeah, because she met Holmes) I find interesting and nice that Holmes really appreciates what Watson meant to him, and although I also want to know more about Irene Adler, his ex-girlfriend, I don't want it to be more important than the good relationship between Holmes and Watson. Yeah, Watson can think whatever she wants about Holmes (because he may be a bit weird), but their relationship will always be one of the best aspects of this show.

However, as I said above, Elementary isn't perfect. It has some aspects that I don't like and that the writers should improve to make it a better series. First, the other members of the NYPD may be somewhat incompetent. Second, I like and hate Captain Gregoson (seriously, I think the story would be fine without him, because it's about Sherlock Holmes, the one who SOLVES the cases along with Watson) Bell? I'm fine with him. Third, you can guess who's the culprit because at the end, the culprit is portrayed by a well-known actor or actress (Lisa Edelstein, Jake Weber). So, writers, please change that.

About the cases? I like them, but I also think than some of them, such as the russian spies and the one of "You Do It to Yourself", are a bit strange.

So, well, that's what I wanted to say. Elementary is a good tv show that you'll be always to enjoy. If you were looking for a good story, this CBS offer is all what you need. I don't know why some people hate it. It's not like Sherlock, because they are two different shows. Elementary definitely shines.

9.0/10

• I hope they do make more

This is a , excuse my French, bloody brilliant series. More please.
  • Not Cancelled

I don't know why some of you seem to think Elementary will be cancelled... Have you seen the ratings? It got around 11million viewers this week. With ratings like that it's impossible for it to be cancelled. It might be getting a short hiatus but there will be 24 episodes this season. If you are basing it on IMDb then don't worry. Sometimes it is not updated quick enough.
  • Hope Elementary is not cancelled?

Took me some time to get to like Elementary, for me its got better and better each time, I hope they will show the remaining 6-7 episodes in this first years series and then carry on later this year? If anyone knows if the eries is carrying on please wite
  • CANCELLED?!

Soo... is this show cancelled? The internet said they got signed for 22-24 episodes, but it looks like it only goes to the 17th? Anyone know what's going on? I don't want it to be cancelled!!!
  • Gathering momentum weekly

Not just your average weekly murder mystery, this show has nuance: the performances by the lead characters are wonderful, and each week we get a better glimpse into their personalities. The plotting is tight, the dialogue crisp, the production values high. It takes a while to warm up to Holmes, but it's worth the investment of time; the show grows on you.
  • the best

part is alway's the end. 10/10
  • A good show with the potential to be great

I am really enjoying the show I have to admit though at times it can seem a bit to much like every other cop show and not have enough of the Sherlock quirkiness. In saying that though I am really enjoying Sherlock as a character because he does seem really smart and well sherlockly but at the same time you do see the broken side of Sherlock with the drug problems and having the one woman he loved taken from him. It's a good show and it's fast becoming a great one. Though one thing that bothers me I think they are giving so much air time to Watson not because she is Sherlocks closet friend and what not but because it's Lucy Liu, which is ok but it seems to take something away from Sherlock I'm not sure if the show is based more on Sherlock or Watson so at times it can be confusing who is really the leading main character here? besides that I very much enjoy the show and will continue to watch.
  • Epic!

Most shows when you watch them your just brain dead. You don't need to function your brain to be entertain, but Elementary is the opposite. You try to solve cases with Sherlock every episode. You prediction the ending of each episode if your conclusions are right, wrong, surprised, amazed, stunned, thrilled or whatever, you just cant stop thinking! This what makes Elementary an EPIC show!
  • Waiting On the Real Sherlock Holmes!!!

I must say I am really enjoying this show it is a good substitute while season 3 of BBC's amazing Sherlock is in production but its not a replacement. I am still coming to terms with Watson being a women so theres that but other then that it has been good so far.
  • Spiritual Successor to "House"

This is a great show. It comes at the perfect time because I needed someone to watch that was as interesting of a person as Dr. House. It's cool to watch the way that Sherlock solves a case with the same ingenuity that Dr. House would find a patient's diagnosis. Also, watching Sherlock struggle with his fatal flaw of drug addiction is just as interesting as Dr. House's struggle with his drug addiction and social issues. This show definitely fills a hole in the Drama genre of TV shows left by the departure of the TV show House.
  • Elementary's Not

I enjoy Elementary more than any series currently on tv. The story line and dialog are clever and the casting is inspired: Aidan Quinn is a bit of an overactor, but Lucy Liu is interesting and beautiful, and Jonny Lee Miller is extraordinarily appealing. I love the way the set of Sherlock's place connect with the Victorian original. The development of Holmes's and Watson's characters has me looking forward to each next episode.
  • High Intellect - Elementary Mistakes

Really like the well thought out story lines, but all the 'smarts' are ruined by simple (elementary) 'continuity' errors. This series could really be appreciated, if it would take the time to eliminate obvious errors in editing. Two quick examples (but loads in entire series) -- Leviathan -- Sherlock (hands) are shown playing piano -- NO GLOVES (and at a crime scene), but when he gets up from piano -- SUDDENLY Wearing Gloves ???!!!! Latest -- Red Team -- opening scene and the 'abracadabra' with milk bottle between Sherlock 'omelet' and Watson coffee cup. Stop the mistakes and let viewers 'really' enjoy the show !!!!
  • Missed it

set my dvr to record it but superbowl time slot ran long and i missed it. Will it be rebraodcast.
  • Turning into a ordinary

I was opposed to watching this show since it took Sherlock and made it with a twist, to cater to US market.

Only difference to original is Watson being a woman.

Still I watched the pilot, it looked interesting and now I'm watching each episode and find it engaging and interesting.

But, the show is, after initial few episodes, starting to become a standard procedural with banal solutions, obvious endings and nothing much in between. I'm scared it would turn into another MONK.

Eccentric investigator, women companion, strange cases no one would solve.. if it wasn't branded Sherlock it could as easily be Monk.

So, I hope the show would stir things a bit and look at the cannon stories for inspiration. I give it 7 for now.
  • I dont get it

Trust me I love the show... but I'm just confused...

If Sherlock Holmes is so uber observerant, upon meeting Dr. Joan Watson, wouldnt he ask "Why is your surname Watson?"
  • deducacation all the way!!!!

LOVE this show. is funny fresh and alround exciting. you always want more. also love the banter between holmes and watson.
  • Elementary is my Favorite Show!

I really enjoy good 'who done it' mysteries but not the CSI kind. I've liked it from the start and really look forward to watching the next episode every week.
  • Hooked on!!!

Getting better and better...
  • EXCELLEMENTARY!!!!!!

WHAT AN INVIGORATING AND EXHILARATING SHOW... FULL OF TWISTS AND INTELLIGENT WAYS OF SOLVING MYSTERIES! A MUST WATCH FOR EVERYONE ....
  • I'll give it a chance!

5.5
    I have only seen the first 2 episodes as of now but I am still willing to give it a chance to prove itself to me. It has a wonderful potential, beautiful shots and the acting/writing is decent. Johnny Lee Miller is amazing in the part and so is Lucy Liu who I love and adore from her previous TV shows Ally McBeal, Cashmere Mafia and Dirty Sexy Money and many many other things. But this show might not be right for me, I am not a big fan of procedural crime shows. Although I often found myself bored and checking the time while watching this I will give it a chance and watch a few more episodes. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually start enjoying it. [5.5/10]
  • Elementary's "Wannabe" cleverness is it's own downfall ...

First of all. It's inevitable not to compare this show to the BBC's Sherlock. It's when this show got a hit the US had to make their own version.

Although it's not a complete remake of the UK's version and made some original twists their own, the character Sherlock is pretty much the same idea. Highly intelligent, photographic skills and highly observant with excellent deducting skills.

But there are some problems with the US take on this (after watching 5 eps, will update if it changes):

1) You can deduct a complete episode yourself most of the time, even before Sherlock does. Or the solution is so far-fetched it's just unbelievable, unlikely or plain stupid. You can even see how they reverse dialogs and scenes. Starting with the outcome and then figuring out a clever way to get there.

2) (A common TV show mistake:) Taking actors that are pretty much known already in the TV world and make them the "offenders" is making it so predictable.

3) The actors, acting, atmosphere and characters are nowhere near as exiting as with the UK version.

The thing is: It's not nearly as smart and clever as the UK's version. It's actually quite easy and stupid. Together with a less eccentric role from Jonny Lee Miller, who i usually enjoy, and a kinda plain boring Watson played by Lucy Liu it's just not as exiting as the excellent and weird Benedict Cumberbatch and goofy and funny Martin Freeman from the UK's version. There is an original idea behind these 2 characters. With Elementary? It's just the same usual stereotyping and settings you get in 90% of the other shows in the US.

But comparing it with Sherlock is just one way to look at it. I can't help myself comparing it. But letting that perspective go i can't say this is a better then average show. I even consider shows like "Person of Interest", "Bones" or "Criminal minds", which aren't perfect either and i consider fillers, better then this one.

But maybe they will find their way. It won't be the first show that needs to grow and some tweaks to make it click. But they really need to make some choices. Make it more funny, build up better and interesting characters or just make the stories and plots better. Just do something with it. Because now it's nothing more then a grey mouse.

• elem fan review

I think this is a great show, all shows have something that people choose to find fault in. I hope this show is around for many seasons to come.
  • Dispose of Moriarty quickly.

'Elementary' quickly became one of my favorites. While your failure to recognize that using the famous names (Holmes and Watson) without logical explanation within the stories, even losing the numerous humor asides, rankles badly, all else is acceptable, entertaining, even challenging. I caution you (the writers) to not fall into the trap of holding on to the mythical bad guy (Moriarty) so long that I and others become weary of your efforts to bake him into a thematic background. I give you three episodes max. before I drop you like a hot potato.
  • Elementary Watson

What a perfect show and the main actors are brilliant choice.
  • emmet

I love this show; is very nice to see this great detective

• elemfan

I love this show it is what it is people ask so much from tv shows this is a good show will watch it as long as its on tv. slappers has new meaning for me now.
  • Moriarty

It's a good show, but not the best. But it has real potential. I wonder when they're putting the crime lord super villain into it. There should be like some sort of super cliff hanger where a gloved hand gives the flight attendant a ticket with the name "Moriarty James" printed on it and she like tears it and give him the other half. Then you could like hear his voice say "thank you" and the flight attendant responds!!! and SCENE!!!
  • lucy liu

an ok unsherlock lol but lucy liu OMG! i must confess she's the reason i watch the 40+ she's still super hott!
1 2 3 4 5