Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 Returning October 30, 2014

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews (134)

• ENOUGH!!! I HATE THE SHACK-UP!! GOOD BY!!

THAT WAS THE END, FOLKS. there was no need for them to have sex and no need for Sherlock to walk in on them. i will never watch again.
  • Whispering wimpers is series undoing

One would think in a competitive marketplace that a TV show's producers would do everything tpossible to deliver content in a suitable manner. Getting people to watch should be a matter of whether the content is enticing. The whispering and low talking on this show is maddening. Adjusting the volume for Sherlock's whispering leads to excessive volume for everything else. As a DJ, 45 years ago, I knew how to equalize sound levels, why can't these jerks do it. I expect this will be my last season if they don't fix it.
  • Bad Sound

I had to stop watching this show because the sound is so bad. You must watch it with the remote in your hand and then I STILL MISS ALL THE dialogue. WHAT UP ?
  • Sherlock is based/set in LONDON, not NYC - just for an Wank Audience....

I found this show to be total TRIPE, I would give it a (-) number but negative integers are not allowed on tv.com scale.

Sherlock is based IN London, it is not just the character, it is the city and locality of his use of deductive reasoning - all based on LONDON. NOT NYC- sad it was transplanted for a wank audience, as they do not get the subtle nuiance of London/UK life!

JLM acted more like Colin Ferrell in he come down years instead of a 'Clued UP' person who see's the world as it really is.

Adding the woman, lucy lue, totally wrong, where is the ***-eroticism between Holme and Watson. Over his drug usage! Get real, in the original's by A.C. Doyle, he was more adept at solving his crimes when he was using mind expanding pyschoactive drugs.

But the worst of the worst was to move Sherlock out of London and to NYC - it lost ALL context to the global viewers (but then most american's think the world begins and ends at their boarders).

Benedict Cumberbach outshines JLM any day of the week. JLM just acts like a crack head on the hunt for his next hit. Nice to see he lost weight and go into shape (somewhat so) for the part, but this is his lowest part in his career history! PATHETIC and and an Abomination to ACD's legacy! stop letting wank usa writers ruin good english culture and heritage!

Putting Sherlock in NYC is exactly the same as putting Mark Twain in Shanghai!!!

PATHETIC and where is the homosexual inuendo between Holmes and Watson as Written by ACD! You have totally disgraced ACD's works. I watched once episode, CRINGED throughout and will NEVER watch another episode. That is a statement considering I find JLM HOT Gay Bait! If you cant get/keep the gay audience - the show is a Total FLOP!

Cancel it NOW.
  • I could have written better.

I will be watching hopefully, but this show has very little promise. The most compelling aspect of Sherlock Holmes is the mystery. In Elementary, there are no impressive deductions - Holmes' trademark - the mystery just falls together with no real interest created, and the whole plot is very stereotypical. I mean really, a husband who wants his wife's money? Manipulating a mental patient is fairly inventive, but its the same plot as always. In the books, Holmes is very discerning in the cases he takes. They either offer some peculiarity or are of immediate importance. This was neither. Holmes wasn't interested and neither were we.

The whole thing is just bland. Sure, they've tried to disguise that by weaving elaborate back stories with dark secrets, but frankly, they haven't made me CARE.

This pilot was a dissapointment. It was uninteresting and I forgot this man was supposed to be Sherlock and this woman was supposed to be John.

(The only thing this whole show has going for it is that it treats Joan like an equal (or in my opinion, Holmes' superior) the only problem with that is... that's not how the Watson-Holmes relationship works.)
  • update: worse and worse and worse

1.5
    For someone who claims he never guesses (first episode) this Sherlock sure guesses a lot. Very very unSherlockian. The book Holmes never guesses. Yet in each episode this one does.

This Sherlock has tattoos. Holmes is many things, including a druggie, but frivolous he's not.

The show is fun but the logic is weak and the stories are lame. Some of the deductions are laughable.

Too bad they just couldn't have went with a made up eccentric character based on Holmes. To stray this far away from the spirit of the man is going to far. This is no Holmes I've ever known.

• Poison Pen lacks latex knowledge - do your homework!

I am latex enthusiast. We are a large group of folks. We wear latex clothing and even enjoy events specifically designed to celebrate rubber! I have a large couture collection of latex and I've been in the hobby for several years. I can tell you that whoever wrote this show didn't do their homework. Maybe they did and because what they found didn't fit the story they decided to punt. But, as a latex enthusiast I was more than disappointed. I really like this show and I've been impressed by the level of authenticity that the writers have brought to it. But not this time.

1) We do put our latex on by ourselves. Even gimp suits you can put on by yourself. Helping hands is nice, but not required. I have a friend who regularly zips himself into a sleepsack. The character on the show is just wearing a simple catsuit. VERY easy to get into by yourself.

2) Most enthusiasts don't use talcum powder anymore. There are much better products on the market. Vivashine is one and if we don't have that we usually use a silicone based lube.

3) You did get the acronyms correct - CP and OTK. Well done, but that's not tough to find out. Any fetish board will tell you that.

Next time if you need some help try finding folks who know more than you do. The Baroness in NY is a great resource and might have been a good place to get better information.

Also - as a professional Domme, I resent the way the Domme on the show was referred to with such disdain.
  • Too simple, too dull

Since the plot is already known to most, I won't spoiler it to those that haven't watched it yet.

The pilot introduces us to our main characters, namely Sherlock Holmes and Joan Watson - and what an introduction it is:

Sherlock is a pathetic and overly nervous little man under the heel of his father - not at all the poised and (kind of) arrogant genius we know from the books or the many, many movies ( especially the superb russian films of 1979-1986) or, well, the excellent BBC Show "Sherlock". He has his moments, sure, but for every ingenious deduction he makes, he has to act overly stupid at least 10 other times.

Which brings us to Joan Watson - what an odd combination of brilliance and disappointment. On the one Hand she is instrumental in solving the case - there are moments when it seems only needs sherlock to get her interested - but is perfectly capable of breaking the case by herself. On the other hand, her character just isn't that well defined: She is Sherlocks sitter / romantic interest / "partner in crime" - and the one motivation the episode gives for her to act as she does, doesn't explain anything at all.

Finally, this pilot doesn't seem to be an episode of series about Sherlock Holmes. It looks and feels like we were watching a new show about the relativly dim-witted little brother of Gregory House, without the medical expertise - who only seems smart compared to the absolut idiots working in the police department, and of course compared to the killer, flat out confesses the first time Sherlock confronts him with his hunch.

The camera is lifted from House, the dialogs trys to divert from its blandness by beeing very fast, the motivations for all the characters are pathetic, the villain doesn't deserve the name (and was done better in Dexter, Season 1 Episode 8 "Shrink Wrap"), the plot is laughable and the conclusion is an insult to anyone with half a brain cell.

Maybe I am unfai to this show, maybe I shouldn't judge it to hard. But when there is a BBC Show about Sherlock Holmes out there, which does it almost perfectly, it's hard not to compare those two.
  • all episodes

2.5
    I enjoy most aspects of this show, EXCEPT, that I have been able to figure out the killer in the 1st 5 minutes of every episode! At first I thought it was because I am a retired homicide investigator and a forensic psychologist...but NO!! It is because casting directors use well known character actors to play significant roles...and if I spot a familiar actors' face in the first few scenes, even though his part may seem small....he ALWAYS turns out to be the killer! So it is a spoiler alert for me in every show. This also occurs in most other TV shows that involve any "who done it" in the plot. Does anybody else experience this problem?
  • Kill Moriarty

Just like Red John on the Mentalist, you're starting to ruin this show by the continuous use of Moriarty in the series. Please go back to the way you seemed to be headed when the series started. New and fresh with no need for just one diabolical enemy. This lazy way of writing series has ended so many in my watching schedule and I hate to change the station on this one. Please!!
  • Soap Opera Shark Jumping

3.5
    This current multipart episode of Elementary has made me think of Whoopie Goldberg's rant in Soapdish. I mean, Watson has been a wonderful female character for most of the series, but suddenly, with regard to Sherlock's skeezy brother, rationality and judgement go out the window. In one scene, she is justifiably telling him she can never believe him and so she will have nothing more to do with him, and by the next day she is in bed with him?? Even if his latest version of his actions and motivations is accurate, he has still been dishonest with her, but suddenly that no longer matters??. And even in the previous episode, Sherlock had been reduced from the genius detective to an inept person who conveniently turns his back on his brother so he can be tased. And the only reason Mycroft and Watson are still alive is because the mobsters did not immediately obey their boss's instruction to "kill

And wait a minute, what ever happened to Mycroft's illness?

I think the scriptwriters need to think more carefully about the integrity of their characters.

I am so sorry about this, because the show has been one of my favorites until recently.
  • Every damn time

A genius who used drugs. Come on..
  • Last song in April 11th episode?

Anyone know the song they played at the end of last night's episode?

Thanks!
  • trying to like it

I love the concept, however, we find Sherlock very difficult to understand. He talks too fast,, and we miss half the things he is saying. Yeah, we tried turning up our hearing aids...lol
  • Thanks to DVR

If I hadn't dvr this show i would never watch it again. My biggest problem is I can't understand half of what they say. either his brouge is so strong or she speaks so soft that I can't hear. So far not a good feeling about it.
  • Elementary & Sherlock: what makes the difference (Sherlock obviously wins)

4.5
    I've never found the show particularly intriguing: no good stories, no brilliant scripts and dialogue but most of all I don't find the actors convincing. At all.

Especially Lucy Liu, whose character (and acting) is the weakest. Aidan Quinn is the best.

BUT! I watched Sherlock in the last few days, without any expectation and... wow!!!

That's a Show with a capital letter! Mr Cumberbatch and coworkers really do a great, great job. Helped by polished scripts, wonderful settings, great directing, terrific care to the smallest detail.

Producers please put your money in the British show and close the agonizing Elementary. . I'm not British, nor American, just neutral as Switzerland)
  • An attempt to differentiate, gone horribly wrong

4.5
    I don't write these reviews often, actually this would be my first here, but after seeing the show and then seeing the rating I had to react.

First of all I'm not sure how this show got green-lighted at all, it's a genuine example how things in TV today are totally "bonkers". Seems there is no story left, that US shows won't apply a "contemporary twist" perverting the original in a unwatchable mess). This show is basically a sacrilege to the Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless story, everything is wrong including setting, tone, atmosphere, time and also last but not the least casting. Horrible, horrible casting choices made for both characters, probably to "appease" a wider viewer base. I see a lot of 10s in the reviews below, well it makes you think, it's no wonder that poor excuse for literature Twilight is popular, since it seems anyone can write a script or a book these days and get acclaim from public. A lot of excellent shows probably got canned to allow this uninspired nightmare to stay on air.

I gave it 4.5 instead of 1 since production quality is good, other than that bad beyond words.
  • Elementary Sound

It's not just me! Fix the sound quality on this show! Your poor standards destroy the pleasure of viewing an otherwise well-scripted and acted production. Read the comments. We can't follow the dialogue. What is wrong with you people?
  • Getting sick of the brother

I'm just about ready to stop watching. Will see what Season Finale brings. Lucy Liu's character is a jerk, and it makes me sick that she keeps doing it with Sherlock's brother. It's a betrayal and I can't stand her. Sherlock obviously cares for her, but she doesn't care. I'm sick of that brother coming around and taking what belongs to his brother and thinking nothing of it.

And as a side, yes, the sound is too low. I have a hard time understanding Sherlock, and especially with his accent. Also, is Lucy Liu pregnant? She has gained weight, and while she still looks fine, I'm wondering if it's because she's in the early stages of pregnancy.
  • Sherlock Holmes would never "Reach Out"

Concerning Elementary, there's almost nothing that can be said as a criticism of the show itself. Of all the latest attempts to revive the character of Sherlock Holmes, Elementary's version is the only one that is both dramatically compelling AND humanly possible. By that I simply mean that Elementary's Sherlock Holmes might very well exist as an actual human being and not just a dramatic or comical character deliberately created for the screen.

However, in going over the total of the first year's episodes and keeping up to date on the second season, I have noted that the phrase "reached out" used as a substitute for "called," "contacted," "telephoned," etc. has been used on an average of 2.5 times per episode and has been used more than once by each of the main characters.

Now, ignoring the fact that the phrase "reached out" actually has a specific meaning in the English language that has nothing to do with emailing, telephoning or sending someone a letter and is only the latest in a sad, sick list of faddish PC phrases utilized by certain pseudo intellectuals in an attempt to impress everyone and offend no one, the fact is that Sherlock Holmes in any of his incarnations would never be party to such a usage. Given that Elementary's Sherlock is fascinated with internet shorthand, he is enamored because such a use serves to make communication concise, and above all Precise!!! OMG may be a fad but there's no question about what it means. The phrase "reached out" is the opposite. Does it mean you telephoned, emailed, texted, met with, skyped, twittered? Or could it even mean that you appealed for someone's help or attempted to help someone in a crisis which is the original meaning of the phrase. Like most PCisms, "reached out" seems to mean something but actually could mean almost anything.

Sherlock Holmes is, above all, a man with a passionate belief in the value of DETAIL. He would never use such a meaningless phrase, nor would he let anyone else use it without questioning what the speaker actually meant.

Worst of all, in my opinion, in having all the characters use this absurd PCism in, quite literally, EVERY episode, the watcher is subconsciously reminded that the characters in the show are the creations of a writer, that the characters lack actual individuality, speaking far too much and far too often exactly like each other to be considered individuals with their own linguistic quirks.

My personal theory is that the newest PCism, "reach out" dates back to the old ATT television ads that tried to convince us to Reach Out And Touch Someone. It's sad to think that such an empty and trivial bit of jargon should have infected television screenplay writers like a lethal virus. Sadder still: although the phrase is rampant on many television shows of the last three years, Elementary is the worst offender.
  • Meh!! Average at best!

To be honest while I enjoy this show I just don't think it's the best show out there. Sure, it's had a few good episodes, but I have found most of the episodes to be boring, and I just can't seem to like the characters that much. What I really enjoy about TV (apart from good storyline) is characters that I can relate to or that I can really enjoy and I'm just not finding that in this show.
  • Just not that great

I'm with sippyber - I've watched about 30 episodes of this show and I have to say I'm just not that impressed. All episodes run the same pattern, 1. Dead body found 2. Make us believe that suspect one is the guilty person 3. Sherlock comes in and questions why 4. Sherlock believes it's suspect No. 2 due to some crazy theory or crack in the wall 5. Sherlock is right. If you want to see a superbly written/acted show, watch The Returned on the Sundance Channel. France has us beat as far as intriguing shows with interesting characters.
  • What is this? AND WHY IS DR. JON WATSON A GIRL???

Ok, I havent read the books, but I have seen all the movies with Robert Downey jr. and I love the TV Show Sherlock. I am a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes, so I assumed my next step in my fandom would be to watch Elementry (and read the books obviously), The OTHER Sherlock Holmes TV Show.

But... Jon watson is a GIRL??? Nope, no way. Can't cope with that. Sorry but this show just seems like its aimed at fools who love romance and drama, bla bla. (not that I don't like those types of shows, but I always liked Sherlock Holmes stuff because of the friendship and stuff like that. (Although im pretty sure John has a major crush on Sherlock on TV Show Sherlock))

Im not trying to be mean, im just... JON IS GUY NOT A GIRL!! ASDFGHCCVGJBKL!!!! I feel like you have personally insulted me by making Jon Joan.

ps: i rated it five because ive never actually seen the show so i dunno if its actually good or not. I MIGHT try and watch it... MIGHT
  • Unfavorable Changes

Not every Sherlock created can be what is the real Sherlock Holmes...

Maybe fun, but belittling our memories of Sherlock

And who is this Watson? this one is lame!!

The original stories and characters are what decades people loved. This one is temporary and easily gets forgotten.
  • I'll give it a chance!

5.5
    I have only seen the first 2 episodes as of now but I am still willing to give it a chance to prove itself to me. It has a wonderful potential, beautiful shots and the acting/writing is decent. Johnny Lee Miller is amazing in the part and so is Lucy Liu who I love and adore from her previous TV shows Ally McBeal, Cashmere Mafia and Dirty Sexy Money and many many other things. But this show might not be right for me, I am not a big fan of procedural crime shows. Although I often found myself bored and checking the time while watching this I will give it a chance and watch a few more episodes. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually start enjoying it. [5.5/10]
  • Could Do Better

5.5
    This show has real potential but the writers have to do a better job getting us to 'buy in' to the relationship between their Holmes and Watson. The actress playing Watson is given very little to work with and at the moment comes across like a bit of a nagging older sister. A big part of the charm of the original Conan Doyle characters is their true bond of friendship. I don't yet see any evidence of such a bond with the characters (or indeed actors) on this show. Maybe it will develop as the season progresses. I'm afraid it will need to for people to keep watching.
  • OK but pretty average.

There's nothing really wrong with Elementary. It a fairly average procedural with a good cast. The problem is that it's supposed to be about Sherlock Holmes. As such the cases should be solved through deduction but usually end up being solved through luck.

Not the worst programme and perfectly watchable but nothing special.
  • High Intellect - Elementary Mistakes

Really like the well thought out story lines, but all the 'smarts' are ruined by simple (elementary) 'continuity' errors. This series could really be appreciated, if it would take the time to eliminate obvious errors in editing. Two quick examples (but loads in entire series) -- Leviathan -- Sherlock (hands) are shown playing piano -- NO GLOVES (and at a crime scene), but when he gets up from piano -- SUDDENLY Wearing Gloves ???!!!! Latest -- Red Team -- opening scene and the 'abracadabra' with milk bottle between Sherlock 'omelet' and Watson coffee cup. Stop the mistakes and let viewers 'really' enjoy the show !!!!
  • lucy liu

an ok unsherlock lol but lucy liu OMG! i must confess she's the reason i watch the 40+ she's still super hott!
  • Performances are good, but scripts are lacking

There have been a couple of Sherlock shows in recent years (UK - Sherlock, USA - Elementary) and they both seem to suffer the same issues.

The level of acting is great in both, but as the shows pass by each episode gets less and less "Holmesian" and more and more any old cop show.

There are fewer and fewer real Sherlock like insights into cases, the kind of leads that no-one else could see. Elementary suffers even more too, as there are just so many episodes to write, and they have to be kept brief most of the time to fit in with schedules.

Still, they are both better than average, but they are trending in the wrong direction, and good cast performances can only hold your interest for so long...
< 1 2 3 4 5