Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 In Season

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews (164)

• Change can be a good thing!

I will admit that I was rather disconcerted by the fact that Watson had moved out. However, at the end of last season, she said she was going to, so we were forewarned. And the addition of Kitty, to me, is a positive thing. I like her and I think that it's wrong to be so against the addition of this character. As this season has progressed, we've seen Holmes and Watson continue to work closely together. We've also seen Kitty be of great assistance and come up with some excellent deductions of her own. As for the focus on Watson's personal life, it seems to me that that is a natural extension of the relationship between Holmes and Watson. She did, after all, live with him as his sober companion, which would have meant that they would have, by necessity, developed a very intense relationship. Added to that is the fact that she also became, and continues to be, involved in his work, and became his "apprentice"; their closeness then becomes quite understandable, both personally and professionally. And they've both grown and changed through this process. I binge-watched most of season 2, and all of Season 3 that has thus far been broadcast, very recently, and so I'm able to see this change in a different light, as I watched so many episodes in succession. I truly enjoy this show. I hope it continues on for many years to come. Sherlock, most especially, never, ever, bores me.

• the show will suck now! lucy will be the death of the is not a very good actress and her looks are in the past.

the show sucks now plain and simple. we went from sherlock the genius to helping the police to joan the top person and sherlock a flunky. whho the fuck makes these ridiculous decisions to change the whole plot of the show. really really stupid. joan was just there to look at and not that great at her age. kick her off the show is about sherlock not some has been actress. remember the movie "kill bill" well lets kill lucy liu in the show and get back to the the show the way it was meant to be.. get her off the . whoever made this decision to change the format should be fired. ty
  • Let's say HELLO KITTY.

I don't understand why people hate change so much. I FUCKING LOVE KITTY! She seems amazing, and has done a lot to refresh the feel of the show. I liked it before, I love it now.
  • Let's say Farewll to KITTY

4.5
    I love Sherlock and Watson - so why are you bothering with Kitty - this is an aweful addition - I am ready to drop the show - find a way Kitty to leave the show - let Wason be Waston and do Watson things - don't continue to ruin Elementary -
  • Should have been called "Elementary Actually"

The WORST part of this show is the OVER use of the word "ACTUALLY"!! it was once said 5 times within a minute. It's poor grammar to rely on the word as well as extremely lazy, and not to mention bloody annoying. 98% of the time it simply does not need to be used.

The rest of the show is decent, including using a female lead for Watson.
  • screwing up a good thing

Like the majority, we enjoyed the chemistry between Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock and Lucu Lui's Watson. It was a great format. Now somebody decided to mess with perfection. Kitty is a crass, goth, intrusion, totally lacking the nuance and mature charm that Lui brought to the role. Holmes was not that easy to understand at times, but kitty is unintelligible. This wedged in mistake seems designed to displace Watson, the death knell for this formally great series. If she keeps showing up, we're gone.
  • Not a show for big Holmes fans

As a TV show, Elementary is entertaining, often funny and fun to watch; but, Elementary isn't just any TV show, it's an adaptation of the popular Sherlock Holmes novels.

I'm all for change and making things 'new'. Sherlock has been made a little more 'human' in that he actually gets sad when his arrogance becomes the reason behind a friend being injured. Not a problem. Watson changed from John to Joan. Also, not a problem. In fact, I think it's a fun change. Sherlock was taken from England to New York and so Inspector Lestrade is replaced with Inspector Gregson (the novels have Gregson in Scotland Yard police headquarters in London, not New York but that's ok).

And that's where they should have stopped. Where they failed, and should stop, is making Watson a second Sherlock. Watson cannot 'deduce'. He/she should not be able to overstep or, in some cases, replace Sherlock. If your idea is to make two great detectives, call them Shaun and Walter, Shrek and Fiona, Bonnie and Clyde; whatever! Just don't call them Sherlock and Watson and then take away the one thing that made Sherlock who he was. Sherlock is unique and no one, especially not Watson, could do what he did (except, of course, the Napoleon of Crime, Moriarty).

Good TV show; Not so good Sherlock Holmes TV show.

Oh, and Lucy Liu is a bad choice for the role (nothing she does seems believable). And, as long as we're not taking it as a proper Sherlock Holmes adaptation, I'm fine with Kitty. At least her acting is better than Liu.
  • Please remove Kitty

Used to love the show it was my favorite. I liked it mainly because of the chemistry between Sherlock and Watson, now they have them fighting with each other and this new character that appears a bit brain dead Kitty. she may be good in other shows, but she doesn't belong in this one. If its not broke don't break it. This show is ruined for me now. I don't watch it any longer. thanks CBS writers for ruining and other wise Great show by changing everything. why cant they leave well enough alone when they finally get something right.
  • The game is not afoot!

I am hoping Elementary stops changing the basic premise of the brilliant deductions that truly make Sherlock who he is. Not to compare with the British show: Sherlock, also a modern interpretation on he detective, but I am bored with Holmes making more comments about Watson's lifeystyle than the cases themselves. Sherlock's unique crime solving abilities seem to be lost in how he plays off two women with similar skills. So sad.
  • Not going well

There was a reason that in the original show Sherlock did all the detective work, and Watson sicked to the documentation work and sometime helping Sherlock. Here the role of Watson is completely off the track. I don't mind that they changed the sex of the character, in fact I think it worked great for last seasons, but in this season sometimes she "deduces" things which even Sherlock miss that irritates me a lot.

They have to do something to turn this around. If you are making a show about Sherlock Holmes, he has to take the front seat.
  • What happened?

Kitty's character is good, just don't know where she fits in? Watson is completely annoying me. She wears the same boots every week and her character has changed for the bad. It's like she is Holmes anti-watson. And Holmes character seems way off and doesn't have the same edge he had. Not to mention Gregson and detective Bell's role is diminished as well. Might be moving on soon unless they fix
  • Best show on TV

So good that I routinely go back and watch old episodes because I get impatient for the next new episode. And I don't do that for ANY show. Ever. I am addicted to this show. Watson moving out kind of bummed me because my favorite part of the show has been the chemistry between Holmes and Watson. I like Kitty but I'm feeling a little trepidation about the possibility of them phasing Watson out. That would be a show-stopper (literally) for me.
  • ooohhh nooo!

what the heck happened to my favorite show! the first and some of the second were very good but this third season is awful. Sherlock doesn't look the same, and appears very wooden. Watson has turned into a cold and unbending witch. Don't know if I like Kitty because I can't understand what she is saying. theres none of the witty dialogue or warmth of the previous seasons. I think this is their last season. too bad.
  • Too bad

They had to work to mess up this show. It was a brilliant whodoneit with two quirky interesting characters and great dialogue. Suddenly all of that is gone. Sherlock is painfully inept now and moves like Joe Cocker. Watson is mean spirited and their is no ingenuity to any of the plot lines. No savaging this show that was so brilliant. Too bad.
  • Hurray for Kitty!

I will disagree with much what has been written here. Kitty is the best thing that has happened to Elementary. She sparkles with her underplayed performance, giving the impression that she's just a novice, until she quietly makes her "on the mark" deductions and displayes her impressive knowledge of facts and criminal behavior. She is the fresh air this show so needed. I don't dislike Watson but I'll be quite happy with her staying on the sidelines. Kitty will carry the mentor/partner relationship with Holmes quite well. Kitty's personality, and her working on building herself up to make something substantial of herself, can be much better identified with, and is more interesting, than that of Watson.

I am glad to see that those writing specific episode reviews, as well those writing in the specific episode discussions, are almost all in agreement with me in very much liking Kitty and wanting her to stay on the show.
  • what's happened

I've loved this show from the beginning and now I struggle to finish an episode, its just lost it..... have the writers changed ? and it seems that Watson has a much bigger part, Lucy Liu having a hissy ?
  • it aint what it used to be

Is it me or does Sherlock "all at once" solve the crime? It USED to be he did a little snooping here, a little sniffing there, a little deep thought with Clyde, and maybe a little bit of Watson stumbling across a clue to solve the crime. But now in the last few episodes Sherlock appears in a scene(maybe two), spits out a plethora of dialog and some pictures and WHAM crime solved! The whole anticipation and suspense build up seems to be missing! . How many scenes were necessary to solve the plane crash on Far Rockaway in season 1? 10+! Now it seems one, maybe two scenes from Sherlock and things are figured out! The rest of the epsiode is Watson's love life, trials and tribulations with Kitty, Sherlock being pissed off at Kitty or Capt. Gregson checking to make sure everyone is playing nice!
  • recking the show!

this used to be a great show, now we have no camaraderie between Holmes and Watson and Holmes is turning into a wimp. Kitty was not a plus. Friction between Holmes and watson is not what your viewers want.
  • kitty litter

Elementary has been my favorite program since its start but it has now been messed with to the point where it has lost its spark. There was such great chemistry between Holmes and Watson, and they are supposed to be friends and crime solvers. It doesn't feel right for them to be chilly and distant to one another. Trying to garner a younger audience with the introduction of Kitty just isn't working. Her acting ability needs apprenticing in that area, too. There's no chemistry between her and Holmes and the whole program has become lopsided and strange. Please bring back the magic of the original!
  • season three

Not that I do not like Kitty but it has taken away from the whole draw and point of watching the show: to see the chemistry between Watson and Holmes. The show is not what it used to be and I miss the purposeful exchanges between the two. Will watch few,more episodes but I may be done with this show sadly.
  • I guess people don't like this kitty kat

1.5
    she was brought in for a younger appealing edgier story line and it isn't working. I saw an early ad where they were trying to insinuate that there would be kat fight type drama with Watson, which is stupid, Watson's character is too mature for that or thy would have had to do a 180. I mean the whole schtick is unappealing and the ratings show it.
  • Hating Kitty, Kittie, who cares?

I've loved this show, then this season WTHell? Where is our brilliant Sherlock who was amazing, up until this season - Oh Kitty solved this week's case cause Sherlock just "missed it"???? Is Lucy Liu leaving the show or something? I can't imagine any other reason to bring in Kitty. She just doesn't mesh. I'm sooooo disappointed and may stop watching - and I love Jonny Lee Miller
  • The show is failing

This use to be such a good show but this season is terrible. It was bad enough to involve Joan with Mycroft. Dumb move by the writers. Is Joan being written out of the show? Why the new character? Let's get back to the interaction of the characters that was in the first season. I wouldn't be surprised if the show gets cancelled.
  • Amazing show

Amazing show
  • What is the point of the new character?

What is wrong with the writers of this show? The first season was great, last season with Joan's affair with Mycroft was heading toward the deep end, and now they've gone off the edge. The whole thing that made this show work, aside from the excellent Jonny Lee Miller, was the dynamic between Sherlock and Joan. Why have they added this useless protege and messed up that dynamic? Are you TRYING to kill this show, people? I've just found out they intend to keep this new character around--mistake! If they don't go back to the old dynamic, I will not watch past this season. Or maybe I won't have to worry about that, since I predict the ratings will drop.
  • This new season

I have really enjoyed this show - well at least the previous seasons. DO NOT LIKE THE DEVELOPMENTS FOR THIS YEAR!!! Don't like the sullen useless new assistant "protg" There seems to be no point in having this character, on the contrary she is an annoyance and keeps getting in the way of the story line. She was stalking Watson (what??) I also don't buy the premise that Watson has suddenly outdone Holmes in her detecting skills.

Very unhappy to the point that I may not continue watching; losing interest quickly.
  • Clever title

I like this show. Some people compare it to Sherlock and most of them evaluate this version as inferior. Well, I actualy like them together, because they're two very different things born from the same root. I find that beautiful.

Everything has been said on that note. Every word has been spilled. They're both nice shows.

What grinds my gears is the intro of Elementary. Right at the end of the intro, when the city is seen through the glass sphere. Shouldn't it be inverted? That's what bugs me.
  • Sherlock's New Assistant

Can anyone out there understand the new assistant? It's hard enough with the accent but someone needs to teach her how to speak clearly and project her voice. It seems like everyone is whispering on TV these days. And the background noise is so loud not just this show but all the shows. Very frustrating. If she doesn't speak clearly and louder I will stop watching this good show.
  • Sorry, Jonny!

I enjoyed the show for a season and a half, but Watson falling into bed with Mycroft was too much. Now she's PO'ed at Sherlock for disappearing last season without saying goodbye, and the cops don't miss him because Watson has "learned his methods" and is filling in. HUH?? If his methods are so easily learned, Gregson and Bell should know them by now too, and not need her at all. Hey, writers--it's not just Sherlock's "methods" that make him a great detective. His talents can't be learned! Another thing: Watson is not a police officer. It's not her place to say "You're under arrest" when Bell is standing right there. The show is now a soap opera with no connection to the original stories--unlike the brilliant "Sherlock" series starring Cumberbatch and Freeman. They're just (mis)using the names of the characters. I think I'll stop watching it. Sorry, Jonny! You and Cumberbatch were great together in "Frankenstein"!
  • Elementary Continues It's Drop Into Mediocrity

Surprisingly, the 'creative staff' at Elementary continue their fascination with putting postmodern American neologisms into a thoroughly British character's mouth. What's next? After Sherlock and Joan are done "reaching out" will they begin "efforting" to solve their cases? On top of that, not seemingly satisfied with turning Elementary into the "Watson was a Woman" show [which, by the way, has been done before], with this new season they seem to be intent on turning it into Sherlock Holmes: Stalker-by-Proxy.

The show started out beautifully, creating the most believable Sherlock Holmes ever attempted. I even hailed the idea of a female Moriarty, and brilliantly played! But Mycroft as Watson Love Interest/Spymaster/Sexually Ambiguous Serial Restaurant Opener signaled the beginning of a series death spiral into banal predictability. As of now, the writers have utterly lost their way in the looking glass land of ad hoc plot twisting, prime time soap opera. It has become more and more clear with the season opener that the show's creator never had more than the germ of an idea because the germ certainly never developed into a serious condition. Perhaps when he's finished trashing the airwaves with this failed pastiche of Sherlock Holmes, he can return to Silicon Valley to do a serious study on under-thirty slang terms.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6