Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 In Season

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews (141)

• update: worse and worse and worse

1.5
    For someone who claims he never guesses (first episode) this Sherlock sure guesses a lot. Very very unSherlockian. The book Holmes never guesses. Yet in each episode this one does.

This Sherlock has tattoos. Holmes is many things, including a druggie, but frivolous he's not.

The show is fun but the logic is weak and the stories are lame. Some of the deductions are laughable.

Too bad they just couldn't have went with a made up eccentric character based on Holmes. To stray this far away from the spirit of the man is going to far. This is no Holmes I've ever known.

• What is this? AND WHY IS DR. JON WATSON A GIRL???

Ok, I havent read the books, but I have seen all the movies with Robert Downey jr. and I love the TV Show Sherlock. I am a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes, so I assumed my next step in my fandom would be to watch Elementry (and read the books obviously), The OTHER Sherlock Holmes TV Show.

But... Jon watson is a GIRL??? Nope, no way. Can't cope with that. Sorry but this show just seems like its aimed at fools who love romance and drama, bla bla. (not that I don't like those types of shows, but I always liked Sherlock Holmes stuff because of the friendship and stuff like that. (Although im pretty sure John has a major crush on Sherlock on TV Show Sherlock))

Im not trying to be mean, im just... JON IS GUY NOT A GIRL!! ASDFGHCCVGJBKL!!!! I feel like you have personally insulted me by making Jon Joan.

ps: i rated it five because ive never actually seen the show so i dunno if its actually good or not. I MIGHT try and watch it... MIGHT
  • Sherlock is based/set in LONDON, not NYC - just for an Wank Audience....

I found this show to be total TRIPE, I would give it a (-) number but negative integers are not allowed on tv.com scale.

Sherlock is based IN London, it is not just the character, it is the city and locality of his use of deductive reasoning - all based on LONDON. NOT NYC- sad it was transplanted for a wank audience, as they do not get the subtle nuiance of London/UK life!

JLM acted more like Colin Ferrell in he come down years instead of a 'Clued UP' person who see's the world as it really is.

Adding the woman, lucy lue, totally wrong, where is the ***-eroticism between Holme and Watson. Over his drug usage! Get real, in the original's by A.C. Doyle, he was more adept at solving his crimes when he was using mind expanding pyschoactive drugs.

But the worst of the worst was to move Sherlock out of London and to NYC - it lost ALL context to the global viewers (but then most american's think the world begins and ends at their boarders).

Benedict Cumberbach outshines JLM any day of the week. JLM just acts like a crack head on the hunt for his next hit. Nice to see he lost weight and go into shape (somewhat so) for the part, but this is his lowest part in his career history! PATHETIC and and an Abomination to ACD's legacy! stop letting wank usa writers ruin good english culture and heritage!

Putting Sherlock in NYC is exactly the same as putting Mark Twain in Shanghai!!!

PATHETIC and where is the homosexual inuendo between Holmes and Watson as Written by ACD! You have totally disgraced ACD's works. I watched once episode, CRINGED throughout and will NEVER watch another episode. That is a statement considering I find JLM HOT Gay Bait! If you cant get/keep the gay audience - the show is a Total FLOP!

Cancel it NOW.
  • Kill Moriarty

Just like Red John on the Mentalist, you're starting to ruin this show by the continuous use of Moriarty in the series. Please go back to the way you seemed to be headed when the series started. New and fresh with no need for just one diabolical enemy. This lazy way of writing series has ended so many in my watching schedule and I hate to change the station on this one. Please!!
  • Thanks to DVR

If I hadn't dvr this show i would never watch it again. My biggest problem is I can't understand half of what they say. either his brouge is so strong or she speaks so soft that I can't hear. So far not a good feeling about it.
  • Unfavorable Changes

Not every Sherlock created can be what is the real Sherlock Holmes...

Maybe fun, but belittling our memories of Sherlock

And who is this Watson? this one is lame!!

The original stories and characters are what decades people loved. This one is temporary and easily gets forgotten.
  • No originality, no cleverness, no fun.

So, after six episodes it is clear that american Sherlock is an exaggerated, banal, light-weighted version of the real thing. The creators took on risk on this one, and created a tasteless, pale brew of chewed genres - seen so many times before (house, mentalist, NCSI, CSI etc.).

The plot line can be seen for miles ahead lacking sophistication and finesse. The leading characters, well, they're no good. They are simply not interesting. Holems should be appreciated as a phenomenal in-spite of his flawed personality. Miller's Holmes is not very witty nor smart and always seems on the verge of an anxiety attack.

So, British version much much better.
  • Elementary Continues It's Drop Into Mediocrity

Surprisingly, the 'creative staff' at Elementary continue their fascination with putting postmodern American neologisms into a thoroughly British character's mouth. What's next? After Sherlock and Joan are done "reaching out" will they begin "efforting" to solve their cases? On top of that, not seemingly satisfied with turning Elementary into the "Watson was a Woman" show [which, by the way, has been done before], with this new season they seem to be intent on turning it into Sherlock Holmes: Stalker-by-Proxy.

The show started out beautifully, creating the most believable Sherlock Holmes ever attempted. I even hailed the idea of a female Moriarty, and brilliantly played! But Mycroft as Watson Love Interest/Spymaster/Sexually Ambiguous Serial Restaurant Opener signaled the beginning of a series death spiral into banal predictability. As of now, the writers have utterly lost their way in the looking glass land of ad hoc plot twisting, prime time soap opera. It has become more and more clear with the season opener that the show's creator never had more than the germ of an idea because the germ certainly never developed into a serious condition. Perhaps when he's finished trashing the airwaves with this failed pastiche of Sherlock Holmes, he can return to Silicon Valley to do a serious study on under-thirty slang terms.
  • trying to like it

I love the concept, however, we find Sherlock very difficult to understand. He talks too fast,, and we miss half the things he is saying. Yeah, we tried turning up our hearing aids...lol
  • What I like and don't like about Elementary

OK, lets do this in point form.

Like:Good acting by star-improving by female co-star

Dislike:In the USA(not meaning to hack on the US but it's British)

Like:Good story lines

Dislike:Moriarty is a weak villain

Like:Good modern retelling that is different from the BBC version

Like:Great support characters

Dislike: Watson has no link to the military as per the character should

Dislike: Where is Holmes's brother?

This show could have really bombed for me but I must admit that I tune in every week without fail. Whats more Im starting to really become a fan. I just wish the Watson had more depth and Moriarty was a better, more engaging bad guy. But next season might see an improvement. Lets hope so.
  • Elementary & Sherlock: what makes the difference (Sherlock obviously wins)

4.5
    I've never found the show particularly intriguing: no good stories, no brilliant scripts and dialogue but most of all I don't find the actors convincing. At all.

Especially Lucy Liu, whose character (and acting) is the weakest. Aidan Quinn is the best.

BUT! I watched Sherlock in the last few days, without any expectation and... wow!!!

That's a Show with a capital letter! Mr Cumberbatch and coworkers really do a great, great job. Helped by polished scripts, wonderful settings, great directing, terrific care to the smallest detail.

Producers please put your money in the British show and close the agonizing Elementary. . I'm not British, nor American, just neutral as Switzerland)
  • Could Do Better

5.5
    This show has real potential but the writers have to do a better job getting us to 'buy in' to the relationship between their Holmes and Watson. The actress playing Watson is given very little to work with and at the moment comes across like a bit of a nagging older sister. A big part of the charm of the original Conan Doyle characters is their true bond of friendship. I don't yet see any evidence of such a bond with the characters (or indeed actors) on this show. Maybe it will develop as the season progresses. I'm afraid it will need to for people to keep watching.
  • I could have written better.

I will be watching hopefully, but this show has very little promise. The most compelling aspect of Sherlock Holmes is the mystery. In Elementary, there are no impressive deductions - Holmes' trademark - the mystery just falls together with no real interest created, and the whole plot is very stereotypical. I mean really, a husband who wants his wife's money? Manipulating a mental patient is fairly inventive, but its the same plot as always. In the books, Holmes is very discerning in the cases he takes. They either offer some peculiarity or are of immediate importance. This was neither. Holmes wasn't interested and neither were we.

The whole thing is just bland. Sure, they've tried to disguise that by weaving elaborate back stories with dark secrets, but frankly, they haven't made me CARE.

This pilot was a dissapointment. It was uninteresting and I forgot this man was supposed to be Sherlock and this woman was supposed to be John.

(The only thing this whole show has going for it is that it treats Joan like an equal (or in my opinion, Holmes' superior) the only problem with that is... that's not how the Watson-Holmes relationship works.)
  • Poison Pen lacks latex knowledge - do your homework!

I am latex enthusiast. We are a large group of folks. We wear latex clothing and even enjoy events specifically designed to celebrate rubber! I have a large couture collection of latex and I've been in the hobby for several years. I can tell you that whoever wrote this show didn't do their homework. Maybe they did and because what they found didn't fit the story they decided to punt. But, as a latex enthusiast I was more than disappointed. I really like this show and I've been impressed by the level of authenticity that the writers have brought to it. But not this time.

1) We do put our latex on by ourselves. Even gimp suits you can put on by yourself. Helping hands is nice, but not required. I have a friend who regularly zips himself into a sleepsack. The character on the show is just wearing a simple catsuit. VERY easy to get into by yourself.

2) Most enthusiasts don't use talcum powder anymore. There are much better products on the market. Vivashine is one and if we don't have that we usually use a silicone based lube.

3) You did get the acronyms correct - CP and OTK. Well done, but that's not tough to find out. Any fetish board will tell you that.

Next time if you need some help try finding folks who know more than you do. The Baroness in NY is a great resource and might have been a good place to get better information.

Also - as a professional Domme, I resent the way the Domme on the show was referred to with such disdain.
  • An attempt to differentiate, gone horribly wrong

4.5
    I don't write these reviews often, actually this would be my first here, but after seeing the show and then seeing the rating I had to react.

First of all I'm not sure how this show got green-lighted at all, it's a genuine example how things in TV today are totally "bonkers". Seems there is no story left, that US shows won't apply a "contemporary twist" perverting the original in a unwatchable mess). This show is basically a sacrilege to the Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless story, everything is wrong including setting, tone, atmosphere, time and also last but not the least casting. Horrible, horrible casting choices made for both characters, probably to "appease" a wider viewer base. I see a lot of 10s in the reviews below, well it makes you think, it's no wonder that poor excuse for literature Twilight is popular, since it seems anyone can write a script or a book these days and get acclaim from public. A lot of excellent shows probably got canned to allow this uninspired nightmare to stay on air.

I gave it 4.5 instead of 1 since production quality is good, other than that bad beyond words.
  • lucy liu

an ok unsherlock lol but lucy liu OMG! i must confess she's the reason i watch the 40+ she's still super hott!
  • Elementary's "Wannabe" cleverness is it's own downfall ...

First of all. It's inevitable not to compare this show to the BBC's Sherlock. It's when this show got a hit the US had to make their own version.

Although it's not a complete remake of the UK's version and made some original twists their own, the character Sherlock is pretty much the same idea. Highly intelligent, photographic skills and highly observant with excellent deducting skills.

But there are some problems with the US take on this (after watching 5 eps, will update if it changes):

1) You can deduct a complete episode yourself most of the time, even before Sherlock does. Or the solution is so far-fetched it's just unbelievable, unlikely or plain stupid. You can even see how they reverse dialogs and scenes. Starting with the outcome and then figuring out a clever way to get there.

2) (A common TV show mistake:) Taking actors that are pretty much known already in the TV world and make them the "offenders" is making it so predictable.

3) The actors, acting, atmosphere and characters are nowhere near as exiting as with the UK version.

The thing is: It's not nearly as smart and clever as the UK's version. It's actually quite easy and stupid. Together with a less eccentric role from Jonny Lee Miller, who i usually enjoy, and a kinda plain boring Watson played by Lucy Liu it's just not as exiting as the excellent and weird Benedict Cumberbatch and goofy and funny Martin Freeman from the UK's version. There is an original idea behind these 2 characters. With Elementary? It's just the same usual stereotyping and settings you get in 90% of the other shows in the US.

But comparing it with Sherlock is just one way to look at it. I can't help myself comparing it. But letting that perspective go i can't say this is a better then average show. I even consider shows like "Person of Interest", "Bones" or "Criminal minds", which aren't perfect either and i consider fillers, better then this one.

But maybe they will find their way. It won't be the first show that needs to grow and some tweaks to make it click. But they really need to make some choices. Make it more funny, build up better and interesting characters or just make the stories and plots better. Just do something with it. Because now it's nothing more then a grey mouse.

• Waiting On the Real Sherlock Holmes!!!

I must say I am really enjoying this show it is a good substitute while season 3 of BBC's amazing Sherlock is in production but its not a replacement. I am still coming to terms with Watson being a women so theres that but other then that it has been good so far.
  • Meh!! Average at best!

To be honest while I enjoy this show I just don't think it's the best show out there. Sure, it's had a few good episodes, but I have found most of the episodes to be boring, and I just can't seem to like the characters that much. What I really enjoy about TV (apart from good storyline) is characters that I can relate to or that I can really enjoy and I'm just not finding that in this show.
  • all episodes

2.5
    I enjoy most aspects of this show, EXCEPT, that I have been able to figure out the killer in the 1st 5 minutes of every episode! At first I thought it was because I am a retired homicide investigator and a forensic psychologist...but NO!! It is because casting directors use well known character actors to play significant roles...and if I spot a familiar actors' face in the first few scenes, even though his part may seem small....he ALWAYS turns out to be the killer! So it is a spoiler alert for me in every show. This also occurs in most other TV shows that involve any "who done it" in the plot. Does anybody else experience this problem?
  • Just not that great

I'm with sippyber - I've watched about 30 episodes of this show and I have to say I'm just not that impressed. All episodes run the same pattern, 1. Dead body found 2. Make us believe that suspect one is the guilty person 3. Sherlock comes in and questions why 4. Sherlock believes it's suspect No. 2 due to some crazy theory or crack in the wall 5. Sherlock is right. If you want to see a superbly written/acted show, watch The Returned on the Sundance Channel. France has us beat as far as intriguing shows with interesting characters.
  • I'll give it a chance!

5.5
    I have only seen the first 2 episodes as of now but I am still willing to give it a chance to prove itself to me. It has a wonderful potential, beautiful shots and the acting/writing is decent. Johnny Lee Miller is amazing in the part and so is Lucy Liu who I love and adore from her previous TV shows Ally McBeal, Cashmere Mafia and Dirty Sexy Money and many many other things. But this show might not be right for me, I am not a big fan of procedural crime shows. Although I often found myself bored and checking the time while watching this I will give it a chance and watch a few more episodes. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually start enjoying it. [5.5/10]
  • I like it but...

I like this series, let me get that out of the way first, but I feel like I've seen this before. Specifically on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

The main character from the L&O:CI series, detective Goren, is based on Sherlock Holmes. This is common knowledge. He also has a female partner, like Sherlock has in elementary. Both female characters are used as sparring partners for the main character and have no real other purpose. Both sets of characters work for the police. Both shows have a 'crime of the week' format. It just feels more or less the same. Elementary has more humor but that's about it.

Like I said, I like this series but it doesn't feel fresh or new.
  • I dont get it

Trust me I love the show... but I'm just confused...

If Sherlock Holmes is so uber observerant, upon meeting Dr. Joan Watson, wouldnt he ask "Why is your surname Watson?"
  • Dispose of Moriarty quickly.

'Elementary' quickly became one of my favorites. While your failure to recognize that using the famous names (Holmes and Watson) without logical explanation within the stories, even losing the numerous humor asides, rankles badly, all else is acceptable, entertaining, even challenging. I caution you (the writers) to not fall into the trap of holding on to the mythical bad guy (Moriarty) so long that I and others become weary of your efforts to bake him into a thematic background. I give you three episodes max. before I drop you like a hot potato.
  • Last song in April 11th episode?

Anyone know the song they played at the end of last night's episode?

Thanks!
  • Missed it

set my dvr to record it but superbowl time slot ran long and i missed it. Will it be rebraodcast.
  • Great song at the end is...

The song at the end is Yo La Tengo - 08. Two Trains . Thank you buddy2blogger!

• clothing optional

I really love all the shows but how come Lucy is wearing the same shoes in every recent show and sometimes just reversing what she is wearing ? if I notice this younger people must is there a clothing allowance?
  • music question

Anyone know the music played at the end of elementary episode 20?? Dead mans Switch sounded classical kind of no lyrics played cant figure it out for the life of me looked all over online
< 1 2 3 4 5