Elementary

Thursday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 27, 2012 In Season

TesserT

Elementary Fan Reviews (156)

• Very similar to the original books...

The show is actually very similar to the original books. Sherlock was a drug addict (cocaine) and plays a violin. Lucy does a great job filling a role which is well within her capability. Very pleased they cast a British actor too, would have been too far from the character without the accent. The episodes are very similar to how Holmes would have solved cases in his books and the language used is again a lot like C.D's books. The setting in NY is also great, anywhere else in the US would have been wrong, NY is the closest thing to London in terms of environment.

The show is off to a perfect start and I really hope it goes far, as far as the similar show House would be a real target for the team.
  • This new season

I have really enjoyed this show - well at least the previous seasons. DO NOT LIKE THE DEVELOPMENTS FOR THIS YEAR!!! Don't like the sullen useless new assistant "protg" There seems to be no point in having this character, on the contrary she is an annoyance and keeps getting in the way of the story line. She was stalking Watson (what??) I also don't buy the premise that Watson has suddenly outdone Holmes in her detecting skills.

Very unhappy to the point that I may not continue watching; losing interest quickly.
  • Elementary

I love this show. Its fresh and exciting. Its not like other Sherlock movies, shows, etc, which to me is what makes this show unique and it all works!

I think people compare this show to other Shelock movies, shows, books, etc. watch the show itself and don't comapre the show to the others, but its is a great show and its unique in its own way!

I mean, how boring would it be if evertything was the same?!!
  • Help with the volume of this show

I love this show and all of its characters. The problem I have is I can't hear most of the dialogue. I have to move the volume almost to top line to hear Sherlock and then when the ads come on....... hurry to mute or turn down. How can this show's volume get turned up so people like me can hear it??

Thank you.
  • Modern, unique, and the writers are great.

It's good to see a detective show that is in the modern world.

Johnny Lee Miller is great, so are all the actors, I think Sherlock Holmes himself would be proud of this!
  • Awesome!

I wasn't expecting to like this show, but I loved it. I love the relationship between Holmes and Watson, the characters and writing. Loved it!
  • What is the point of the new character?

What is wrong with the writers of this show? The first season was great, last season with Joan's affair with Mycroft was heading toward the deep end, and now they've gone off the edge. The whole thing that made this show work, aside from the excellent Jonny Lee Miller, was the dynamic between Sherlock and Joan. Why have they added this useless protege and messed up that dynamic? Are you TRYING to kill this show, people? I've just found out they intend to keep this new character around--mistake! If they don't go back to the old dynamic, I will not watch past this season. Or maybe I won't have to worry about that, since I predict the ratings will drop.
  • Always on my watch list!

I like the fact it is not a rehash of the original but a modern day version. I have always had an affection for Lucy Lui and enjoy how well she fits into the diverse rolls she acts in. She has this "girl next door" look about her and then you see her in "Kill Bill". She is a great actress and her roll playing as Watson compliments the present day Sherlock. I am looking forward to watching this show for years to come.

I would like to draw the directors attention to scenes with actors drinking coffee. In the last show you could tell the the cups were empty by the way Sherlock took a quick drink and then when Watson was stirring the coffee you could see at least two inches into the cup and there was no coffee. Yet, when she took a drink, she just took a sip of air. It's always the little things. I'm anal.
  • Just keep it on...who wants another reality tv show!

Finally a show worth watching, entertaining, engaging and fantastic acting, if you cancel this for some stupid comedy or reality show you should be ashamed of yourselves. Give us real entertainment like the good ole days! 10
  • Absolutely love Sherlock and Watson

Johnny and Lucy, you are amazing, I plan my week around you. You guys have grown on me and I would be lost when the season ends. I love both of your unique qualities and interaction with each other and with other cast members. Only one little thing I wish was different, if Johnny can speak a little louder and clearer, at times you mumble and I am forced to use closed captioning because I don't want to miss one word that you are saying. But, keep up the good work, I looking forward to seeing a lot more of both of you.
  • EXCELLEMENTARY!!!!!!

WHAT AN INVIGORATING AND EXHILARATING SHOW... FULL OF TWISTS AND INTELLIGENT WAYS OF SOLVING MYSTERIES! A MUST WATCH FOR EVERYONE ....
  • Fresh & Clear

I found Elementary interesting. It fills me with some amount of excitement to watch world's renowned detective switch his place (especially when its New York). I believe this show has lot to offer in coming episodes as Lucy Liu joins S.Holmes and we get a closer look on S.Holmes' personal life. I remember Jonny Lee mostly from Dexter's 5th season. He is doing great job here too.
  • elem fan review

I think this is a great show, all shows have something that people choose to find fault in. I hope this show is around for many seasons to come.
  • Practice makes Perfect

One thing I really like about the show is that it shows Sherock Holmes constantly practicing his skills e.g. how to escape manacles or open padlocks, doing experiements and so on and so forth... for far too many TV charcters we never see them practice, research do experiements or indeed alomost anything other than have white boards ot big computer screens with pictures here and there or lines drawing inferences (unless you are CSI and then you have a laboratory with so much equipment Croesuss couldn't afford to keep it running..)
  • kitty litter

Elementary has been my favorite program since its start but it has now been messed with to the point where it has lost its spark. There was such great chemistry between Holmes and Watson, and they are supposed to be friends and crime solvers. It doesn't feel right for them to be chilly and distant to one another. Trying to garner a younger audience with the introduction of Kitty just isn't working. Her acting ability needs apprenticing in that area, too. There's no chemistry between her and Holmes and the whole program has become lopsided and strange. Please bring back the magic of the original!
  • Sorry, Jonny!

I enjoyed the show for a season and a half, but Watson falling into bed with Mycroft was too much. Now she's PO'ed at Sherlock for disappearing last season without saying goodbye, and the cops don't miss him because Watson has "learned his methods" and is filling in. HUH?? If his methods are so easily learned, Gregson and Bell should know them by now too, and not need her at all. Hey, writers--it's not just Sherlock's "methods" that make him a great detective. His talents can't be learned! Another thing: Watson is not a police officer. It's not her place to say "You're under arrest" when Bell is standing right there. The show is now a soap opera with no connection to the original stories--unlike the brilliant "Sherlock" series starring Cumberbatch and Freeman. They're just (mis)using the names of the characters. I think I'll stop watching it. Sorry, Jonny! You and Cumberbatch were great together in "Frankenstein"!
  • Bad Sound

I had to stop watching this show because the sound is so bad. You must watch it with the remote in your hand and then I STILL MISS ALL THE dialogue. WHAT UP ?
  • Deductive Reasoning.

Fantastic acting ,writing,&wit Smartest show on TV!
  • FLAT OUT

Best Show on TV

I've always loved Sherlock Holmes in Books and Movies. Great to see him now excell as a character of the 21st Century.
  • I hope they do make more

This is a , excuse my French, bloody brilliant series. More please.
  • Very unique, clever and fun

I do love this show.

The characters are portrayed wonderfully, and the script is unique. Its all different than the run of the mill murders, and each episode bring a death out in a new way not commonly found in other shows.

Sherlock himself, is shown as being very quirky, and anti social, and rather brash! It is wonderful!!!
  • Great series, great reimaging

I read almost all the stories that Conan Doyle wrote for his iconic detective and i believe this serie is doing a great reinvention of a legend.

Very entertaining and creative.
  • A British perspective.

I was prepared to hate this. Sherlock Holmes already has two brilliant incarnations wandering the media world. Robert Downey Jr. reinventing the original Victorian detective as an action figure for the movies and Benedict Cumberbatch moving the classic stories into a modern London for the wonderful BBC tv series SHERLOCK.

So SHERLOCK HOMES IN NEW YORK (wasn't there an old Basil Rathbone film like that?) with Watson as a WOMAN! It shouldn't work. It couldn't work. It's an abomination!

Yet it does. Possibly Holmes is now so iconic you could put him in STAR WARS and he would still work but that would detract from Jonny Lee Miller's sterling interpretation of a damaged recovering addict Holmes and Lucy Lui's self-deprecating and subtle support as Watson.

All the tropes are there. Holmes was an addict in the stories (the notorious seven per cent solution) and exhibited all the symptoms of what we would now classify as borderline Asberger's. The violin-playing turned up in episode 2 and even Holmes' final fate, as a beekeeper, was prefigured in the pilot.

All I ask is that the stories start to rise to the level of Holmes' genius. The original Holmes saved governments from scandal and wrestled with the Napoleon of Crime. Mere domestic murder will soon send Holmes scurrying back to the syringe, his usual refuge when bored. Don't bore us, enthrall us. Challenge us. That's what we want from Holmes!

• Interesting so far

The most attractive part of the show for me is looking at how Holmes goes about solving the cases using his unique and non-traditional sleuthing modus operandi. So far, the dynamics between Sherlock and Watson are engaging enough although I wish Watson has more to contribute in terms of solving the cases. Will continue watching the series and hope it gets better through the season.
  • Meet Sherlock. Not AC Doyle's, but I have hope for this character

I've loved Conan Doyle's books ever since I was a kid. As a result, I don't always agree with some of the contemporary takes on the characters and story - I'm talking about you, Guy Ritchie.

I love certain interpretations of this story - like the British one with Benedict Cumberbatch(and the amazing way he portrays Sherlock); others I think have kept true only the names of the characters. And as long as they don't actually pretend to be a portrayal of AC Doyle's work, I'm fine with that. They're just procedurals that are mildly inspired by SH.

If you can look at it like that, my first impression is that Elementary is worth your while. It's only a taste and I'm curious about where they can take it next - the character history seems a bit generic - but if they can keep up the pace, I'm there with them.
  • recking the show!

this used to be a great show, now we have no camaraderie between Holmes and Watson and Holmes is turning into a wimp. Kitty was not a plus. Friction between Holmes and watson is not what your viewers want.
  • season three

Not that I do not like Kitty but it has taken away from the whole draw and point of watching the show: to see the chemistry between Watson and Holmes. The show is not what it used to be and I miss the purposeful exchanges between the two. Will watch few,more episodes but I may be done with this show sadly.
  • Getting sick of the brother

I'm just about ready to stop watching. Will see what Season Finale brings. Lucy Liu's character is a jerk, and it makes me sick that she keeps doing it with Sherlock's brother. It's a betrayal and I can't stand her. Sherlock obviously cares for her, but she doesn't care. I'm sick of that brother coming around and taking what belongs to his brother and thinking nothing of it.

And as a side, yes, the sound is too low. I have a hard time understanding Sherlock, and especially with his accent. Also, is Lucy Liu pregnant? She has gained weight, and while she still looks fine, I'm wondering if it's because she's in the early stages of pregnancy.
  • what's happened

I've loved this show from the beginning and now I struggle to finish an episode, its just lost it..... have the writers changed ? and it seems that Watson has a much bigger part, Lucy Liu having a hissy ?
  • it aint what it used to be

Is it me or does Sherlock "all at once" solve the crime? It USED to be he did a little snooping here, a little sniffing there, a little deep thought with Clyde, and maybe a little bit of Watson stumbling across a clue to solve the crime. But now in the last few episodes Sherlock appears in a scene(maybe two), spits out a plethora of dialog and some pictures and WHAM crime solved! The whole anticipation and suspense build up seems to be missing! . How many scenes were necessary to solve the plane crash on Far Rockaway in season 1? 10+! Now it seems one, maybe two scenes from Sherlock and things are figured out! The rest of the epsiode is Watson's love life, trials and tribulations with Kitty, Sherlock being pissed off at Kitty or Capt. Gregson checking to make sure everyone is playing nice!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6