Elementary

Risk Management

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 09, 2013 on CBS

• Breathtakng TV

When I first started watching this show, I was dubious. I have to admit to being really nervous about a female Watson and Sherlock fans did a good job of trying to kill this show before it started.

This last hour was absolutely riveting. Jonny Lee Miller was absolutely fantastic, yes, but I was really impressed at how Lucy Liu seems to be amping up her game by association. The one scene where she self-consciously gets out her trepidation over her potential fate was really very authentic. I also notice with some amusement that she's becoming more animated body-language-wise on the show, as if JLM's twitchiness is rubbing off.

But JLM--wow. That last scene. I FELT that. One of the better bits of acting I've seen all year in an episode full of good acting. The one long sequence from where he wakes Watson to their scene in the bathroom was enthralling. The true awesomeness of this show lies in the fact that these two don't need to do or say anything mind-blowing to keep your attention--it's the realism of their interactions and the way they bring it to every scene.

This episode was a veritable Emmy reel for Jonny Lee Miller, but such is the Emmys that I don't think he has a real shot. Shame.
CW