Elementary

The Long Fuse

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Nov 29, 2012 on CBS

• Yay Cuddy!

So another stellar opening when exposition Watson states stuff we don't get to see and never progresses, over background music borrowed from House. In a clever reversal Holmes reveals drugs free and empower him (rather than dull him as in classic Holmes) only for the writers to just execute the same reversal they used in the pilot... seven episodes in and already they were stuck as to how to open an episode.

Something really bugged me with this episode. Twice in the first 10 minutes Holmes declares something only for the cops to say they already know. Why would you write a script that way? Then you have a plot where a pager stayed live for 4 years and apparently had batteries installed to enable that scenario... why?

Yay Cuddy! Does she bring the tapes of House over to the script and score writers homes?

What I did like is that for the first time they have Holmes actually deducing, observing, showing his intellect and knowledge in relation to solving a case. This is actually using Holmes as a template at last.

Then they do something stupid like having a caught terrorist admit to 5 crimes when he was only accused of 1 (that he was innocent of) and caught for 1. Why would you admit complicity for 4 more in a post 9/11 New York? Unless you wanted to make a big show in court over your agenda.. so with a huge case like that no-one seems the slight bit interested. They broke a series of cold terrorism cases and they could care less.

But whatever this is the first episode where it wasn't clear where it was going right off the bat and despite the director often appearing to mistake how Columbo would cast a famous person as the killer (because that show relied on you knowing who & how) with casting a recognizable person in a minimal role and hoping it's a surprise when they are unmasked.

For all that I have to say it's the first since the opener that I had the glimpse of what the show could be.

• Perfect!

This episode featured a really interesting case with so many bizarre elements to it that made watching Sherlock solve it really fun! Everything from the four year old bomb to the accidental pager call and the skeletons in the closet - or in thsi case, the wall - were really executed to perfection!

The case was superb and the side story with Sherlock's new psonsor were great as well, and the character development on the side of a flawless case truly made this an episode to remember!

Great work, Elementary!
  • better and better

the writing, plots, dialog, acting, everything keeps getting better and better - Jonny Lee knows he has excellent competition for this role, and he plays it with gusto; at a party with Rob Downey and Benedict Cumberbatch he can hold his head high,

Lucy plays her Watson with classic reserve and solid characterization. The f/x on the opening scene, and all the supporting actors, and the new street dude trying for the AA sponsor role hit the mark just right.
  • Long Fuse" Episode

Watson may be staying, but the closing scene with Watson, Holmes, and the prospective sponsor "tugged" at my emotions. With that smooth, beautiful background music, and Holmes declaring, "I'm entirely self sufficient". I have it on it again and again. Maybe I'm just getting sentimental as I grow old. Found the song called CALM THE STORM, by Graffiti6. Login (browser)ELEMENTARY EPISODE 8 END SONG.
  • Elementary.

A very well written episode, Watson is looking for a new sponsor for Sherlock, because Watson is leaving in a few weeks. I dont read spoilers but i do know Lucy Liu is not leaving the show, i enjoyed this episode Sherlock asking Heather "Do You Want Sex". & Watson walking in

"Am I Interrupting" lol. I Love This Show.
  • Lisa Edelstein in her underwear never gets old!

once again while this was an excellent case with many twists and turns, WTF is going on with the timescale of this show?

I've said, more than once, that Watson was supposed to leave after SIX weeks, mentioned in the show on several occasions.

Yet, once again, Watson says that Holmes WILL lose her in SEVERAL weeks!

Is this show on a spaceship at near lightspeed? That's the only reason I can think of that time seems to be slowing down and the SIX weeks is never reached!

C'mon writers, stop treating your viewers like idiots and get it resolved. We ALL know she ain't leaving, so get on with it!

The case itself, was very interesting with an "ancient" pipe bomb using an outmoded pager as a trigger.

A body walled up in his own house.

Multitasking on an epic scale and tennis ball bombs on the roof.

The sponsor? I couldn't care less about the sponsor as he's simply a ploy to keep the Watson/Holmes partnership question running a bit longer until the writers stop taking the mickey out of the audience.

Who cares if a guest star is in the show and the obvious culprit.

All this and Lisa Edelstein in her Bra 'n Pants (Yummy!) It just doesn't get any better than this.

Or maybe it does ??????

Roll on, next episode.
  • New super bateries unleashed!

4.5
    I'm sorry to say I found the script for this episode a bit weak. There are some irrational elements that is very distracting. This is even more distracting as it is a series which try to use smarts and wits as a driving factor. I find myself being irritated over these things instead of fully enjoying the plot and storyline.

First: how on Gods green earth can a retail pager have a unattended power lifetime of four years? Are there some batteries out there from Star-Trek that they use in this episode?

Same goes for the bomb-battery. The lead-acid 6V would have died out a long time ago. The water and acid would have been separated and the battery would most likely not even be re-chargeable anymore due to sulfation.

Diphenhydramine was not "recently" classified a controlled substance in Zambia, it has been for over a decade.

How can Mr. Holmes manage to deduct that the unlucky miss-dialer, while all the time being seated, has his fly down by three quarters?

Why does the eco-terrorist say he used "nitrate based" bombs. It jumped out and felt very un-natural when delivered; and when the story-line builds upon this it becomes even more corny.

And then; an imprint on a newspaper as the "daming evidence"? A NYT issue most likely to have been at the workplace before the bomb was made. An item that is not exactly as personal as a toothbrush or a pair of underwear. Have you ever read or had a newspaper that was not yours? Probably. Also; how likely is it that one manage to do a handwriting comparison from indentations from a nine letter word in all capital letters on a four year old newspaper clipping used as packing in a bomb that went off against a signature?

There are also some weird staccato flow internally and especially towards these sponsor tryouts. All over characters, relations and plot had a negative curve instead of positive; which one should have in this part of the series.
  • Sherlock and Watson investigate the bombing of the offices of a web design company that may not be what it seems.

Another strong episode in this new series. What I particularly like about it is that the writers took a somewhat familiar story of a bombing of a company by radicals and put a rather clever twist on it. That certainly did the job of keeping my interest from start to finish. My one criticism of this is the whole story concerning Sherlock's new sponsor. I felt that was unnecessary. We all know Jane is not going anywhere. That aside "The Long Fuse" is a very good episode. Check it out by all means.
  • What a dress!

Lisa Edelstein's dress in the scene where she is arrested (snakeskin) is one of the most stunning and introguing I've ever seen.
  • Bees??

This episode really jerked the audience's chain, but there were a handful of wonderful moments. I got tired of the rug being pulled out from under my feet after the first realization that the bomb wasn't meant for the company currently in the building. By time we got around to solving the case, I just wanted it to be done so we could move on. It would be really nice, too, if the chief would actually take Sherlock's deductions into consideration, seeing as he's not missed the mark so far and the chief continuously does. I loved the introduction of Alfredo and really wish to see him return in the weeks leading up to Watson's Overall, this episode was alright - not stunning as Holmes should be, but right on par with the rest of this particular rendition. Also, where were the bees on the roof??
  • The Long Fuse

The Long Fuse was a superb and perfect episode of Elementary. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome and the characters were outstanding. There was a lot of development as Watson pushed Sherlock to pick a Sponsor. It was intriguing to watch Sherlock investigate the crime which turned out to be a crime from the past as well. I liked the guy who Sherlock selected to be his sponsor and it was awesome to watch how good of a match he really was. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • The Long Fuse

Cheat sheet: The guest star is the suspect.

They need to get a way around this.
  • One across and 8 down

Another excellently scripted show and well acted BUT the Lucy leaving thing is a bit artificial. After 8 shows the writers should have found some way to build permanence to her role rather than this "maybe stay maybe go" situation... the problem is tha the original premise for them being together was weak and now they have to rationalise her continued presence, perhaps they could do somethingl ike he has a relapse or they have a romamnce or she decides to stay and try her hand at doing some locum work (parttime doctoring to get her medical license reregistered) and voila ! she isavailable; and there is some additiona backgrond for them to work with.

The introduction of the AA sponsor is a nice touch as it broadens the character ensemble for the show.

CBS