Elementary

While You Were Sleeping

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Oct 04, 2012 on CBS

• Not a step up from the Pilot.

Again my issue with this series is that it's painfully, and obviously, not clever. The resolution was obvious from less than halfway and the final act was horribly sloppy and something you've seen before... worse still relied on clearly clever people suddenly becoming idiots. I want to make special mention of the 'seated-killer' as one of the poorest excuses for a clue outside of the last series of Monk.

However the fleshing out of the central pairing of Holmes and Watson was good and I think what happened was the writers wanted to give us more of the duo and forgot to address the crime, they wanted a nice relaxed crime that could take a semi-backseat while they got the characters to gel. Which I can understand but not forgive.

Again Miller is the only reason to keep watching and I will give the next one a try.. just for Miller.
  • Always listen to Sherlock.

This was yet another good episode with a great storyline and the episode kept you thinking when a young man is murdered in his apartment This episode showed Sherlock was right from the beginning and only he could have saw that woman was faking her coma I had an idea what he was planning at end when he made a scene at the hospital to lure the killer into a trap and it was the most unexpected killer who Sherlock predicted from the beginning Very good start to the series.
  • Brilliant!

This case was downright brilliant! One of the best cases I have seen on a TV show ever! It was intelligent, complex and unpredictable! But seriously - what a great alibi for murder!

Not sure what I make of the main characters yet, but the show is growign on me and with cases like this, it will go far!
  • High hopes for this series

That is, of course, dependent on the morons that control the TV purse strings allowing it to mature past the 13 episodes listed.

The 2nd episode slowed down a little bit and let the two main characters get to know each other a little with Watson taking no crap from Holmes and he in turn, accepting to a small degree that she is a usefull foil to his tangential jumps of reason.

I was intrigued by Holmes comment about his/her "contract" only lasting 5 weeks. I presume he'll find some way to win her over to be his "muse".

I thought the case was excellent, with the initial red herring making the viewer "assume" the wide awake twin was the villain allowing a nice "reveal" later in the episode.

A fine point was made by Holmes that the "evil" twin was maintaining her coma in order to collect ALL the inheritance money with her sisters projected demise.

While I fully expected Holme's violin to show up, I liked the way it was done but my only gripe with the episode happened because of it.

How could someone, who apparently hadn't played for some time, suddenly start playing (at the end) like a maestro.

The violin isn't an instrument you can maintain ability on, without constant practise.

Even in the books, Holmes wasn't portrayed as a virtuoso.

However, that minor glitch aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this weeks offering and look forward to the next one.
  • Simplistic

Definitely on a lower rung than the pilot. I didn't care much at all for the role of the drugs in the episode, though hopefully they were just getting that out of their system and will tone it down come next week. I understand that in some cases, that knowledge is useful, but that won't be so every time. If they make like it should... it's all downhill from there.

I did like at the end when he pointed out that coma girl was still doing her coma act - to bring in Person of Interest terms here, Yvette was bad code. I was told all through childhood that I was selfish because I was an only child. Well, I think this just proved that how many siblings you have is not at all related to how selfish one is. It was a nice dark twist for the episode, which I thought was rather light and airy most the way through, especially with the constant referencing of deodorant.

Alright for a second episode but still not holding my attention. I'll watch through the live-in, but if they haven't established the series on its own by then, I'm outta there. I don't have time for another flop, and I'm projecting this is a flop.
  • Holmes and Watson investigate two murders that seem unrelated at first but are soon found to be connected.

"Elementary" seems to be hitting it's stride with this second episode. Once again Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are in top form as the leads. I just wish Miller would slow down a bit. There have been a few times where he's talking so fast that I have had to hit the back button on my TiVo to understand him. I understand that's the nature of the beast but I wish that would happen less often. One small criticism is the plot device where the police think Holmes is plain nuts and dismiss all of his theories only to discover he was right all along. and end up thanking him. OK. We get it. I don't think there is a need to see that every episode. That aside "While You Were Sleeping" is a very good and entertaining episode. Take time out to see it.
  • While You Were Sleeping

While You Were Sleeping was a phenomenal and very entertaining episode of Elementary. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development. There were many intriguing scenes and it was fun watching Holmes investigate and shake things up while Watson tried her best to stay true to her mission. The story was well written and full of family drama. It was interesting to learn more about those involved. It was scary to learn how far some people would go in order to control large amounts of wealth. It was fun watching Watson try to reign in Holmes who was passionate about solving the case. I love how the show is developing so far. I liked how it all worked out and I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • ending not there

I enjoyed it very much but every episode has the ending missing.... why is that?
  • very similar to monk

it was agood episode but while i was watching i had this strange feeling that i watched this before then i remember it was very similar to the tv series monk the same sick detective who needs someone to take care of and the same caretaker / doctor / nurse or whatever i enjoyed the episode but i feel like deja vu i hope it gets better and feels different in the next episode and that's only my humble opinion may be i am wrong
  • A good next step for this revisionist 'Holmes' series....

I actually saw "While You Were Sleeping" before the pilot episode of ELEMENTARY and I enjoy this series very much - so far. The idea of the series is interesting: Dr. Joan Watson is a live-in healthcare specialist for Sherlock Holmes, a recovering addict who has moved to New York to apply his trade of detection. Talk about your modern re-telling of a classic tale!

"While You Were Sleeping" delves into both Holmes and Watson even more than what was established in the pilot and, although still combative towards one another, the seeds for a future relationship between the two are being sown. The caper had a nice twist and the acting is quite good. I think Johnny Lee Miller may have to grow on me further to fully embrace his interpretation of Sherlock Holmes but it is great to see Aiden Quinn on TV and Lucy Liu is proving to be a marvelous Watson and is the real powerhouse of each scene. I will be sticking around to see where this series is headed!
  • Elementary-While You Were Sleeping.

Another great episode, the 2 main characters of the show

are finally coming together. The more i watch, the more i love

this show. Way to go CBS....

The song is also from the Film " The Forgotten Circus "

I think...
  • Good episode!

First of all, since some want to know the name of the song at the end.. it's Bloodline by James Mathe.

My thoughts.. Love the way their relationship is portrayed, still at the beginning but there's definitely that connection that they understand each other to a very personal yet cool degree. Very good chemistry, love to see that in a hetero-on-screen-couple, i usually mostly see it in bromances like Merlin and others, this is kind of refreshing. The choice of actors is more than satisfying, they match well and they're great actors. It's still kind of weird to have this modern take on Sherlock but definitely loving it so far. I hope we can get to see at least a few seasons of it. Really enjoyed the episode.
  • End song

Does anyone know what the song in the background at the end of the episode was?

I tried to shazaam it but that didn't find anything.
  • Good Episode

It looks like Liu and Miller are developing a good chemistry on screen, that shows pretty well...Holmes is always very focuses and often callous in his analysis...Liu showing more humanity and empathy with people involved in the cases, and more concerned with how Holmes mental well-being is as well...