Eleventh Hour Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

Eleventh Hour and X-Files: Let's Compare, Contrast, and Have Fun!

luvinx

[1]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 20

Ok, I will start. Nice and easy. We have 2 main characters, a man and a woman. We had Mulder, a brilliant, yet debunked genius, who separated himself from the rest of the world due to his grief over his sister, his obsession with her abduction, and his anti-social behavior. We have Hood, a brilliant, yet clueless genius, who separates himself from the rest of the world due to his grief over his late wife, his unyielding passion for science, and his absolute lack of social graces. We had Scully, a young agent and MD who was thrown into a partnership with a reclusive agent in order to 'spy' on him. We have Rachel, a young agent who is thrown into a partnership with an absent-minded scientist in order to 'babysit' him. Both women were/are a million miles from where they ever thought they would be.

Just a little start, and we can discuss this any way you guys want to, skipping around or whatever. I just figured I would start with the very basics and we all could go from here. We gotta do something to distract us from wondering about the future of this awesome show. Its potential for greatness was evident all along, but "Medea" just sealed it for me. Let's have some fun!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OnePerCentClub

[2]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 35
    Great start Luvinx!!!

Ok, while in the X-files Mulder's father was an FBI, in EH Rachel's father is. We still have to see what kind of agent he was and how hard he is on his daughter (just like Mr. Mulder was with his son) because as fas as we know he wanted to have a son and well, he got Rachel.
    I can't think of more right now, but I will have them later.

P.S. I love this thread!

luvinx

[3]Apr 5, 2009

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    Great start Luvinx!!! Ok, while in the X-files Mulder's father was an FBI, in EH Rachel's father is. We still have to see what kind of agent he was and how hard he is on his daughter (just like Mr. Mulder was with his son) because as fas as we know he wanted to have a son and well, he got Rachel. I can't think of more right now, but I will have them later. P.S. I love this thread!

You better love this thread....you are the co-creator!

I am gonna come up with some more stuff and be back later. RL is calling now.

OnePerCentClub

[4]Apr 5, 2009
    Thanks, Luvinx!

Coming back from real life, because right now, being on duty in a hotel hasn't been fun this weekend But let's continue with the good stuff!

Well, Hood has a sister and has a great relationship with her. And her sister is apparently happy and has a son. In the XF, Mulder has a sister too and has also a great relationship with her but she disappeared and in the end, we learned she was unhappy and tortured.

Be back later for more!

nyjets111

[5]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 4

Overall nature of the show: THe 'science' of x-files was mostly science fiction. The science of Eleventh hour has some basis of fact, for the most part. Also, X-files has overall story arcs that never seemed to have a real resolution. WHile Eleventh hour did have a story arc with the human cloning, each episode can be watched by itself.

Characters: In my opinion, Rachel and Hood work well together. There is a real chemisty between the two, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. THe two in x-files seemed to work well despite themselves. Is some ways, they canceled each others strong parts to a certain extent. Also, Scully seemed to be clueless about the supernature and the aliens that existed despite the evidence that was clear. Rachael seems to watch and learn from her surroundings. While Hood does have some social issues, he has a lot fewer issues than Mulder did.

luvinx

[6]Apr 9, 2009
    nyjets111 wrote:

Overall nature of the show: THe 'science' of x-files was mostly science fiction. The science of Eleventh hour has some basis of fact, for the most part. Also, X-files has overall story arcs that never seemed to have a real resolution. WHile Eleventh hour did have a story arc with the human cloning, each episode can be watched by itself.

Characters: In my opinion, Rachel and Hood work well together. There is a real chemisty between the two, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. THe two in x-files seemed to work well despite themselves. Is some ways, they canceled each others strong parts to a certain extent. Also, Scully seemed to be clueless about the supernature and the aliens that existed despite the evidence that was clear. Rachael seems to watch and learn from her surroundings. While Hood does have some social issues, he has a lot fewer issues than Mulder did.

Good points, nyjets! Especially about Hood/Mulder. I knew that that duo would be more on the contrast side. Although for fun, we should try to find out how they are alike.

I will be back to add some stuff, but right now I am busy just trying to make sure that EH is renewed. Then we will have plenty of time to chat and more to chat about. If you haven't already, email/provide feedback to CBS and let them know that we want EH back for Season 2. Period.

We are also trying some other things. Check the "Let save our show" thread for more info. Together, we can assure a second season!!

Edited on 04/09/2009 5:00pm

OnePerCentClub

[7]Apr 13, 2009
    One thing I liked is how in Miracle Hood was about to go on his own after realizing Rachel had company but Rachel preferred to go with him.
    It reminded me of that episode called 'Jersey's devil' in the first season, when Scully decided to cancel her date so she could go with Mulder and investigate the case.

redhawk100

[8]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 6
    IMO, I think the only similarities between the two shows is the Mulder/Scully part and even that is quite subtle. Dont hate me for saying this but I think that the chemistry here isnt even that strong between the two leads (dont kill me its just my honest opinion!). Let us not forget that the X-Files falls in a totally different genre (sci-fi) than Eleventh Hour (criminal drama). The X-files had its share of monsters, aliens, vampires while almost all the elements in this show are somewhat in the realms of current scientific knowledge.

Another aspect that I dont like much in the Eleventh Hour that separates it from the X-files is its lack of "mythology" episodes and is only made up of stand-alone episodes. Many X-files fans (and I count myself as one of them) found those arcs to be the most interesting parts of the series. Usually these stand-alone episodes attract more causal viewers, which is a good thing for the network and the show's longevity but not so much for those that look for complexity.

So are there similarities between the two shows? Yes, but only in how the two main characters interact...but both shows appeal to a relatively different audience. Having said that, I think the only current show that has any similarities with the X-Files would be Fringe.

luvinx

[9]Apr 14, 2009

No hating here, redhawk. This is a place to come chat, and it would be pretty boring if everyone said the same thing. Having said that, I guess I will have to respectively disagree. I believe the leads have enormous chemistry. And one of the reasons I would like the show to contine is to see this dynamic grow.

Also, it has only been on one season, 18 eps even, so the similarities in other regards could potentially grow. We just don't know, but the main point it to have fun discussing it....no matter what we think!

OnePerCentClub

[10]Apr 16, 2009
    redhawk100 wrote:
    IMO, I think the only similarities between the two shows is the Mulder/Scully part and even that is quite subtle. Dont hate me for saying this but I think that the chemistry here isnt even that strong between the two leads (dont kill me its just my honest opinion!).

Of course it isn't there... yet. Mulder and Scully started off pretty much the same, with Scully not trusting Mulder and believing he was... spooky and even crazy and once, she even called him a jerk (she took it back, but well she did). Rachel was somewhat forced to take this assignment and struggle to get comfortable with Hood because he was a little... weird. But then she got to know him and their partnership is different now. And they're chemistry is growing, a lot.

:

So are there similarities between the two shows? Yes, but only in how the two main characters interact...but both shows appeal to a relatively different audience. Having said that, I think the only current show that has any similarities with the X-Files would be Fringe.

I still believe there is no way you can compare XF to Fringe, unless you compare it to the conspiracy. Other than that, they're totally different shows.

aethrenet

[12]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 3
    I agree on the Fringe/X-Files point. The similarities between the two are that 1) FBI, 2) contemporary, 3) conspiracy. Buuut that describes a lot of shows.

And one silly similarity between the two? Stargate actors! X-Files had Amanda Tapping, Don S. Davis and Teryl Rothery (Sam, Hammond and Janet on SG-1, a dead hooker, Scully's dead dad and a nurse who got raped on The X-Files) and, after the X-Files was over, Mitch Pileggi was recurring in Atlantis.

EH has Torri Higginson (Elizabeth Weir from Atlantis) as Hood's sister.

I (heart) Stargate?

Also, I am sooo officially annoyed with the forum software. Epic. FAIL.

OnePerCentClub

[13]Apr 20, 2009
    Skinman! I love Skinner!

The end scene of Medea reminded me of the last scene in XF movie Fight The Future, when Mulder tells Scully she should get away from him and go be a doctor. Then Scully says that she will be a doctor but for now, her place is there with him.

Well, in Medea, Hood tells her that if she wants to be transferred, he won't stop her. Then Rachel talks about how she can barely remember her apartment and how her classmates are ahead of her, but she will be jealous 'as hell' if someone else was in her shoes.

What do you think?

luvinx

[14]Apr 20, 2009

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    Skinman! I love Skinner! The end scene of Medea reminded me of the last scene in XF movie Fight The Future, when Mulder tells Scully she should get away from him and go be a doctor. Then Scully says that she will be a doctor but for now, her place is there with him. Well, in Medea, Hood tells her that if she wants to be transferred, he won't stop her. Then Rachel talks about how she can barely remember her apartment and how her classmates are ahead of her, but she will be jealous 'as hell' if someone else was in her shoes. What do you think?

I think that comparison is dead-on! Great pick-up. These duos cemented themselves together, despite the consequences or rewards elsewhere. I just love that.

aethrenet

[15]Apr 20, 2009
    How can you not love Skinner? (Okay, so I have to keep explaining to one guy that Skinner's one of the good guys... he's only seen the first season and a bit - for whatever reason, he hates the show. Well, he likes the mytharc bits but hates the MotW.)

Ha, yeah! Rachel is totally like Scully in that regards - bright, motivated with quite a career ahead of her. Aaaand then she got dragged into the x-files/Hood's science crimes. Rachel can nevar escape!

OnePerCentClub

[16]Apr 23, 2009

aethrenet wrote:
    How can you not love Skinner? (Okay, so I have to keep explaining to one guy that Skinner's one of the good guys... he's only seen the first season and a bit - for whatever reason, he hates the show. Well, he likes the mytharc bits but hates the MotW.) Ha, yeah! Rachel is totally like Scully in that regards - bright, motivated with quite a career ahead of her. Aaaand then she got dragged into the x-files/Hood's science crimes. Rachel can nevar escape!

Exactly... And Rachel loves it!

From last night's chat, I can say that the scene in H2O when Hood is drugged and Rachel comes in the room, knowing that Hood is not himself and can hurt her, reminds me of the XF. But there's something in her that tells her that he won't hurt her and it seems that her words make him lucid for a moment.

The same is seen in the XF 4th season episode called "Demons" when Mulder is also drugged after experimenting with him and Scully comes in and Mulder is holding a gun. She talks to him and her words make him stop. And she also knew he wasn't going to hurt her. What do you think?

Edited on 04/23/2009 11:23am

aethrenet

[17]Apr 23, 2009
    Well, since I was there, obviously I agree, XD

OnePerCentClub

[18]Apr 23, 2009
    aethrenet wrote:
    Well, since I was there, obviously I agree, XD

And I'm happy that you do

luvinx

[19]Apr 24, 2009

Ok, guys, so hows about this one:

Mulder feels guilty over the abduction of his sister.

Hood feels guilty over the death of his wife.

Neither felt like they did right by their loved one, and it makes up a big part of who they are now.

Any good?

OnePerCentClub

[20]Apr 24, 2009
    luvinx wrote:

Ok, guys, so hows about this one:

Mulder feels guilty over the abduction of his sister.

Hood feels guilty over the death of his wife.

Neither felt like they did right by their loved one, and it makes up a big part of who they are now.

Any good?

Totally agree. Both have a need to save people to find some kind of comfortness.
    And it's like it's never enough for them.