Elfen Lied Forums

(ended 2004)

Elfen Lied: Something I Wondered about Mayu

jasminegreen

[1]May 10, 2010
    • level: 2

She was molested by her stepfather, and possibly suffered continuos abuse from her mother as well. Yet, aside from Nana, the character she seems closest to is Bandoh. What is your opinion on that. I mean, given her past, you'd think she'd stay away from someone as violent, and possibly crazy, as Bandoh, who has knocked her around on quite a few occassions, such as throwing her to the ground, slapping her, and kicking her head, yet she sticks around with him. What do you think is up with her willingness to want to be with him, and possible romantic feelings she has toward him?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crisrj214

[2]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 6

I think it has to do with psychology. The abuse is something she's use to and doesn't know any other way of dealing with it other than enduring. Maybe I'm just rambling.....I'm a bit tired Tongue out

SsriTelQuessir

[3]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 26

A couple of things jump to mind. There is a psychosocial effect from abuse that often distorts the way an abused child preceives the environment; Mayu may not see Bando as similar to her step father, she may seem him as something very different. Abuse also affects the center of the brain that controls the ability to make decisions. Another possible explanation is that repeated abuse, especially as a child, has a way of contitioning expectation and emotional attachment, what this means is that people will, very often it seems, replicate the conditions of their abuse. this is one reason why woman who are abused systematically seek out men who are abusers.

crisrj214

[4]Oct 5, 2010
    • level: 6

SsriTelQuessir wrote:

A couple of things jump to mind. There is a psychosocial effect from abuse that often distorts the way an abused child preceives the environment; Mayu may not see Bando as similar to her step father, she may seem him as something very different. Abuse also affects the center of the brain that controls the ability to make decisions. Another possible explanation is that repeated abuse, especially as a child, has a way of contitioning expectation and emotional attachment, what this means is that people will, very often it seems, replicate the conditions of their abuse. this is one reason why woman who are abused systematically seek out men who are abusers.

I was thinking along a similar line but was too tired to express it correctly. Wink

Gojirob

[5]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 7

In short, Mayu gambled on Bando being more than he seemed. In the manga at least, this paid off in spades.