Eli Stone

Father Figure

Aired Saturday 10:00 PM Feb 14, 2008 on ABC

• I enjoyed this episode and found the final scenes with both fathers quite moving.

Through the acupuncture treatments by Dr. Chen, he and we learn more about his relationship with his father. That people, including children will do anything to help or protect those that they love. Under the needle, Eli relives an incident where his father has a vision like Eli and ends up shooting a gun at home. It stops with the father off camera and the sound of a gun. I thought that the father had shot himself in the head. When Eli goes back, we see that the Eli took the gun and told the police and his mom that he had done it. He reaizes then that the son of the soldier may be doing the same thing. I am beginning to enjoy watching scenes with Tom Cavanaugh. (I loved Ed) I wouldn't mind exploring the father relationship. Yet, it would take time away from all of the other great people on the show. The scene where he confronts the mother about the possible deception and her confession, and the last looks exchanged between the husband and wife as he was led away in handcuffs was nicely done. I would have liked to see a shot of the boy eyes watching his father being led way with perhaps the glimmer of understanding of the consequences their actions. This would stray from the story, but in a case like this, lawyers, the judge and other people involved, including the military, who would have had representatives there, would have caught the husband's not too subtle nod to his wife. Perhaps a shot of the husband face as he start towards his family that shows an intense stare that changes to a glaze of expressionless might have been interesting. I'm glad that they showed that his fiancee was able to get that the husband was sacrifing his life. I think that she should be able to intuit what is really going on in Eli's head. I think that it would be distracting from Eli's story, but, she, more than Eli, would struggle to balance social position with standing by a man who appears mentally unstable. I like all of the women in his life.
    A final thought, I sympathize strongly about what the family and child are going through, but when you sign up for the Military, you should try to follow it through. But it up to our leaders to think clearly of the consequences before committing the life of a single soldier.
    Eli is a pleasant surprise and I'm glad to have the opportunuty to enjoy it. I look forward to seeing much more.

Grant