Ellery Queen

NBC (ended 1976)

Gislef

Ellery Queen Fan Reviews (5)

• Great show that should have lasted longer.

Ellery Queen only lasted one season on NBC. It should have lasted much longer and its cancellation gave me my first hint that only morons called the shots in the TV industry. Ellery Queen was that rare show which had charm and class. The emphasis was on storyline not action and violence. You actually had to think a little when you watched an episode. That's probably why NBC canceled it and shortly afterward gave us drivel like the A-Team and Super Train.

My dad and I used to watch this show together ever week. We would try to guess the culprit before Ellery did. I think I guessed right twice while my dad never could seem to figure out the correct solution. My late grandmother also loved the show as well as the novels on which it was based. One thing she liked was that Ellery and Inspector Queen were exactly like they were in the novels. Having read several EQ novels I concur with my grandmother for the most part.

Jim Hutton and David Wayne were marvelous as writer Ellery Queen and his police inspector father. Then there was Tom Reese who lent able support as the hulking Sgt. Velie. I always loved Inspector Queen's catchphrase, "Put the cuffs on him, Velie" once the solution to the murder was announced by Ellery. It's too bad that NBC put the cuffs on this show too soon.