Ellery Queen

The Adventure of Colonel Nivin's Memoirs

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 23, 1975 on NBC

• When the author of the best-selling "Memoirs Of A Spy" is murdered, Ellery's girlfriend seems to be the chief suspect - but there's also a mystery man who keeps on acquiring new identities.

One of the hallmarks of this show was the way it was not just set in 1947, but tried to look like a film of that era. This preposterously enjoyable episode catches the Hollywood look of the period perfectly, and the bogus British accent of Lloyd Bochner (really Canadian) fits in just right, like the bogus French accent of Rene Auberjonois. The references to the OSS (not the CIA) seem very nostalgic, like our brief glimpse of a cinema marquee advertising "The Egg And I", one of Universal's bigger 1947 hits. Inspector Queen's outraged reaction to Russian suggestions that his room is bugged must have seemed ironic when the episode was first aired in 1975, the year after Watergate had forced Richard Nixon's resignation.