Ellery Queen

The Adventure of the Lover's Leap

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 18, 1975 on NBC

• Murder or suicide? \'Seventies styling in the fearful \'Forties.

Having not seen an episode of this series since the original broadcasts some three decades ago, I was curious to see how well it stood up (Confession: I have seen both the 1971 pilot and the pilot to this series in the last year or so). It’s not Columbo, but it’s not as bad as it could be.

A wealthy woman is reading an Ellery Queen book… and the sounds described in it happen to her in real life - but no-one else in the house can hear them. In fright, she rings and asks her stepdaughter to come over. We see the stepdaughter arrive in her car… and the woman’s body in the drive, after she has leaped from the balcony. Did she jump or was she pushed? Murder or suicide? And if the former - who is the murderer?

Enter our hero, his father , the police Inspector, and Queen’s radio rival Simon Brimmer. Clues are discovered and suspects interviewed (the doctor on a golf course). Finally, Brimmer drags the suspects together for the Grand Revelation and worries me by accusing the man on whom I had my eye, with the same reasoning. Sadly for both Brimmer and my good self, but predictably enough, Ellery drags out a clue from earlier in the episode and twists the solution to the mystery.

Overall, a good episode of a series I wish had run for longer.

But it’s a shame that the period detail - it’s set in the nineteen-forties - didn’t extend as far as the show’s hairdressing department…