Ellery Queen

Too Many Suspects

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 1975 on NBC

• Ellery Queen gets called to investigate a murder with a well known fashion designer.

Decent pilot establishes a lot of the characters, stories, and tone that the show would have.

Got to watch a couple of these Ellery Queen episodes on KDOC-TV which plays a lot of TV Classics.

This was the first version of the crime detective series. However, it's very well done suited for a more modern audience.

Detective shows have been done before that's for sure, but this show does manage to include a lot of big stars at the primer of the career like Dick Sargent (Bewitched), Anne Francis, Sal Mineo, etc.

Here in the pilot, we see all the trademarks of the show. We see how the victim dies, and we see how the victim left clues to who the killer is. The fun is guessing who the killer is.

It would seem rather obvious, but the large selection of suspects doesn't make it so ready to solve. A lot of the episodes follow the pattern with different story lines and different motives for every suspect.

Ray Milland plays a guy cheating on his wife. He, and the wife are suspects but then when we get to hear the victim's background we get even more suspects.

This is an enjoyable pilot that sets the standard for the show. Jim Hutton is decent as Ellery Queen.

He is intelligent but not overly arrogant and has enough realistic characters to make him believable as an every day man doing what he loves to do: solve crimes.