Emergency!

Snakebite

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Oct 27, 1973 on NBC

• I was the kid in the back of the car in the desert when John and Roy were coming back from the fishing trip and they came accross the accident. I was six years old at the time, my name is Jack Paar.

Great show, I enjoyed working on this show, we worked on this series as kids several times. I remember this episode to this day and I am 40 years old now, I was the kid in the back of the car in the desert when John and Roy were coming back from the fishing trip and they came accross the accident. I was six years old at the time, my name is Jack Paar and I can't believe that they did not include me in the cast. It was a wonderful cast and a long running show what a blast. I now run a music management company called BusyBoy Productions Inc. and our web site is www.busyboyproductions.com
  • On the way home from a fishing trip, John, Roy, and Chet resuce a woman and her son in a car wreck. Back home John is bitten by a rattlesnake and must treat himself in the field.

This episode was great. It was interesting to see Johnny and Roy have to treat victims without the benefit of all of their gear. At the accident while they wait for help to arrive, their frustration is clear. Especially Roy's, who is treating the injured child. Johnny's interaction with the injured woman was very much in character. His compassion helps to calm her.

The rural hospital was interesting. We see Roy and Johnny trying to get help for the victims. The nurse's reactions were funny. Dr. Frick's arrival is a surprise in that he's not "Old Doc Frick," but young doctor with long hair and hip clothes.

Back at the station, I did find Mike Stoker's reaction to be out of character. I can't really see him reacting like that. It was bad writing for this character--who got way too few lines.

As they work the rescue for the car over the cliff, we again get to see Johnny's bedside manner as he calms and soothes the young lady who can't see. When Johnny goes back down to retrieve the handy talkie and gets bit by the rattlesnake, we see that Johnny can still keep his wits and knows what to do. At the hospital, the reactions of his fellow fire fighters is true to life. The final scene where Roy and Chet go to visit Johnny is humourous and light. It was the perfect ending to a story that had dramatic rescues.
WZME