Emily Owens, M.D.

7.6
  • how can I watch it

how can I watch it
  • Lost Opportunity

This show had great chemistry among the cast; however, the story line caused it to bomb. If the show would have just dealt with doctor / patient, doctor / doctor or doctors dealing with the medical system, this show would have been easily a 8. Nope, it had to drag social issues into the the show. for that it gets a 3. This show will not make the recording Que.
  • Great Things Ahead?

I absolutely loved it! The character dynamics were great, and Emily is a very likable character. I think the fact that they are relating real life to high school is actually very accurate. The real world isn't this mature, mystic place where everyone gets along. It's a place where people stab each other in the back to get ahead and compete every day, which is exactly like high school.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about the voice-overs but they work with her character. Had it been anyone else, it would have just been annoying but I love them!

I also find myself with my own little crush on Dr. Micah Barnes. The addition of his mother's storyline added a new, unexpected layer to the show and I can't wait to see where it goes. All this talk of maintaining distance will be put to the test.

As for 'dragging social issues' into the show, I can't think of a show on television that doesn't involve social issues. Social Issues are what drive TV shows, and they are what make them relevant to the audience. You can't have a successful TV show with no grounding in reality. At the end of the day, all TV shows have some form of tie to the audience's real life, otherwise there would be no way for them to connect. We continue to watch shows because somewhere in that 60 minutes we find a connection to our own lives. For me, Emily Owens formed a huge connection that isn't likely to break anytime soon.

I really hope this show gets the chance to live up to its potential!!
  • Great pilot!

I was also pleasantly surprised withi this pilot, because I'm not a fan of shows like this, but I enjoyed this one. The cast and characters seem very interesting, and I think they could be really entertaining down the line, once we get to know them some more.

There's a lot of room to grow and a lot of room for the show to develop into something really good, so I'll be sticking around for a while!
  • A pleasant surprise

I didn't have much hope for this show; I dislike more medical shows than I like and the reviews were generally mediocre. And honestly, this is not a show that breaks new ground or has an edge or any of that stuff I so like in television.

But you know what, I just kind of liked it. The lead has a breezy, awkward, charm, and I like the way she is insecure, not in that typical "not sure about whether she can make it as a doctor" way you get in shows about interns but rather in that "unpopular girl in high school who still isn't over it" way (in fact, it is really when she has to go into doctor mode that the insecurity slips away).

Halfway through this first episode I was thinking, this is probably below my quality threshold and I don't think I'll watch it again, but by the finale I was just rather charmed by the whole experience. Yes, it's kind of dumb, rather predictable, and completely unoriginal, but somehow none of that bothers me much. I like it. So far.