Enlightened

HBO (ended 2013)

Taccado

Enlightened Fan Reviews (7)

7.7
  • 'Enlightened' or 'Self-Obsessed"

The irony of the title is that Amy Jellicoe is not enlightened at all. Her sense of righteousness has merely been re-directed. The stereotype that this show presents is the committed "do-gooder" so obsessed with their own agenda that they are completely oblivious to the reality around them.

If this is the character that the writer intended to create in Amy then he has absolutely succeeded. But in order for us to sympathize with her, she needs to be more sympathetic. At the moment, she is at worst, manipulative, oblivious, condescending and stupid. At best, merely irritating.

We are asked to believe that Amy was a (good) buyer in a dept of a market leading consumer goods company. But apparently her transformation included a complete loss of all business sense, including how to pitch an idea or negotiate. Her new job is the pits, but where is her escape strategy? She is prepared to search for work at a Homeless shelter but even when she accepts she can't afford to work in not-for-profit, she doesn't look for alternative business roles? The show needed to address some or all of these issues.

I think the show has great potential, and I kept watching to see if it would be found. I'm afraid so far, we've seen not a whole lot of comedy despite the fabulous material that could be mined from the bunch of misfits in the basement. At the moment with the exception of Tyler, they are merely set decoration. In terms of Amy's relationship with her old co-workers, that's not comedic, it's merely sad.

Please, I want this show to be good. It's taken until E10 for Amy to find a direction, I may tune into S2 to see what she does with it, but if it continues like S1, I'm out.