An Entourage Community
HBO (ended 2011)

LOOKS LIKE VINCE CAN'T DO THE MOVIE

... Or rather, he won't do the movie until Warner Bros. ponies up more cash. Entourage stars Adrian Grenier and Jerry Ferrara still haven't signed on for the (moderately) anticipated movie based on the hit HBO series. Producer Mark Wahlberg was hoping to begin production in May for a spring 2014 release, but Grenier and the guy who played Turtle are holding out. Come on, guys, even Piven signed his contact two weeks ago! PIVEN. Stop being assholes and sign the damn thing. It's not like you've got anything better in the works. [Page Six]

BUSINESS NEWS

... Bravo has ordered a new three-episode limited series called The People’s Couch, which gives viewers the super-rare opportunity to watch other regular people watch TV. All those teen girls on YouTube who've been posting their (over)reactions to The Vampire Diaries are going to be sooo pissed when they realize they could've been getting paid. The episodes will air October 6, 13, and 20 at 11:30pm on Bravo. [Bravo via press release]

... The CW is taking a chance on a new drama centering on a transgender teenager. Titled ZE—chosen for its non-gender-specific-ness—the project is about a FTM (female-to-male) Texas teen and his family as they try to deal with the his decision to live life as a guy. This isn't your typical CW show, where rock-hard abdominal regions and really pretty faces dominate, so it will be interesting to see whether it goes anywhere. While I commend the network for trying to branch out beyond its usual fare, I can't help but feel that ABC Family would be a better fit for something like this. [Deadline]

... I've never been more convinced of the existence of hell than I am at this exact moment, because Carson Daly has has joined The Today Show as the host of "The Orange Room," a digital studio add-on that's supposed to connect the audience to the morning show both live and online. But enough about that, back to my hell theory. Did he sell his soul at a crossroads back when he landed TRL? Has he just been reaping the rewards until the hellhounds come? And I thought there was a 10-year limit to that? [Variety]

... Nickelodeon announced today that it's renewed Chris Hardwick's animated series Sanjay and Craig for a 20-episode second season. The series follows Sanjay, an excitable and irreverent 12-year-old boy voiced by Maulik Pancholy (30 Rock), and his best friend Craig, a smooth-talking snake and master of disguise voiced by Hardwick. Now, I'm one of those people who actually likes Hardwick, but holy crap, he is everywhere right now. He's like the funnier, nerdier version of Ryan Seacrest or Carson Daly, and in case I wasn't clear before, that's a bad thing. [Nickelodeon via press release]

... During the So You Think You Can Dance finale on Tuesday, Nigel Lythgoe announced that Fox has renewed the show for an eleventh season. I didn't write about it until now because I know I can't dance and I was too ashamed. [EW]

... GSN has ordered eight episodes of Skin Wars, an hour-long competition show looking for the most talented body painters in the country. Heads up, GSN people, there are always a ton of body painters at ComFest every June in Columbus, Ohio. I'm pretty sure they're more interested in partying naked outside than they are in the art of painting bodies, but hey, it's worth a shot! [GSN via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... I know you're all still really upset about the cancellation of Happy Endings, but look on the bright side: Eliza Coupe is now free to join House of Lies! Yeah, sorry, that's totally not making things better, is it? Anyway, Coupe will play a wild-child named Marissa who's the head of an internet company and the heir to a wealthy media family. She joins the previously announced Mekhi Phifer. [Showtime via press release]

... Emily Swallow (Monday Mornings, Southland) has joined The Mentalist as a potential series regular. She'll play Kim Fischer, a woman who has a profound impact on Jane's life. Right now she's only signed on for three episodes, but with Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman departing midway through Season 6, the potential for a full-time gig is possible. [TV Line]

R.I.P.

Ray Dolby, the founder of Dolby Laboratories, died Thursday in San Francisco at the age of 80. His name sounds familiar to you because you've been seeing the Dolby Digital logo for your entire life. Dolby Laboratories pioneered the noise-reducing and surround sound technology that is used throughout the entertainment industry. Dolby suffered from Alzheimer's and had been diagnosed with leukemia in July. [Variety]

62 Comments
Comments (56)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
don't forget- Hardwick also regularly hosts Comic-con and Paley Fest panels for multiple shows. that's SO much but he doesn't look exhausted. he still looks cute as a button.
Flag
Daly basically had to get out of the talk show business and into the journalism business because he just wasn't going anywhere with it.

Flag
You have to admit though, Daly did basically disappear for almost ten years while hosting Last Call. Only fans of Fallon and Conan know about that show.

Flag
I'm confused. I thought Ryan Seacrest was in line to replace Lauer, who I think will eventually be gone b/c everyone hates him. Seacrest landed a spot as a correspondent what a year ago? And what exactly is the pecking order on Today? I don't know if anyone should be passing Willie Geist so quickly.

Flag
"Carson Daly has has joined The Today Show as the host of "The Orange Room," a digital studio add-on that's supposed to connect the audience to the morning show both live and online"

Aren't electricians and cable suppliers supposed to do that?
Flag
I'd like to see Daly replaced as host of Last Call by an up and coming comedian. I've long thought it was time to take that slot to the next level and also expand it to an hour. If Fox News can do a raunchy late night talk show at 3AM eastern/2 central, then NBC could definitely pull this off. Someone who would be great would be Spike Feresten, the late night host who appeared on Fox a few years ago. Very underrated and deserves another shot.

Flag
Under Dawn Ostroff, most of the CW's fare was better suited for ABC Family.

Flag
Chris Hardwick's late night show will be fantastic because it involves Ferrell and McKay's Funny or Die and Thomas Lennon and I believe, Mr. Garant from Reno 911. You'll never see Carson Daly head up a show like that.

Flag
Chris Hardwick is a lot different though from Daly and Seacrest. He's funny. He's always been hilariously likeable. Daly and Seacrest don't really have personalities and mostly kiss ass. Unfortunetely, Fallon has started to act similar to them.
Flag
an entourage movie has to be one of the last things the world needs so I sa, go ahead nobodies, don't sign up. and are sure sure entourage was a hit and not just lucky to be on the channel when it was lacking or in-between good shows?

I'm sure I'm in the minority if there ever was one but happy endings was feeling like wasted talent and terrible attempts jokes 80% of the time (at least post season 1) IMO so I was not hurt over it's cancellation. looking forward to seeing eliza (and mekhi) on house of lies.
Flag
Carson Daly is now going to basically act as the intern for The Today Show? That'll be fun for him to step back in his career like that, "here's what they're saying on Twitter, back to you, Hoda, Matt, Kathy, Al, Barbara, Katie, Ann, whomever."

Aw man, Eliza Coupe and House of Lies? That's such a whiff for her career and their casting, wrong wrong wrong.
Flag
Sounds like he'll basically talk down to /be an interpreter for the elderly on those "new fangled technologies." The type of crowd that says "my daughter set the computer up so I can go and check on the weather in the morning, that's all I know."
Flag
You have to love the symmetry though, of Grenier matching his character by saying fuck you to the greedy studios if they won't pay his perceived worth. And Ferrara as Turtle hanging on, who in real life, was something of a leeching pilot fish.
Studios always blame actors/writers etc. for demanding too many reddies and/or control. It's more like the former being scheisters. Even if the movie doesn't initially make a bucket full, odds are its fans and the average jo/ette will spill for the digital forms. HBO has learnt and banked on screwing fans over the years with vidz, then dvd and finally blu-rays to at last match the HD airings.
The ever current culture of scumbag tax and worker's rights dodging big corp's blaming those in lessor positions as scroungers sickens the soul.
Flag
In honor of Ray Dolby's death, many dials will be lowered to 5.

Flag
Or 4, for those that go to 11.
Flag
I love Eliza Coupe!!! Hate House of Lies, pretentious little show!!!
It's a shame
Flag
Come on, guys, even Piven signed his contact two weeks ago! PIVEN. Stop being assholes and sign the damn thing. It's not like you've got anything better in the works.

i guess thats why they want/need more $$$. you could look at it both ways.
Flag
If they want $$$ that's one thing, but if they need $$$ it's another.
I haven't really noticed an improvement in Grenier & Ferrara's careers since the show snuffed it, so I'm thinking that nothing + nothing = nothing
Flag
Yay for Eliza Coupe!
Flag
I'm pretty happy ZE will happen on TV, but I'm very afraid of what the CW will do of it and how people will react to it.
Flag
I continue to watch House of Lies, but still... Nooooo Eliza Coupe, do something better!
Flag
The Mentalist's burning Season 6(!) question remains: who will Cho banter with now??
Flag
A more burning question is, Who cares?
Flag
You want to take this outside?
Flag
As I pointed out earlier, who cares?
Flag
'The People’s Couch, which gives viewers the super-rare opportunity to watch other regular people watch TV.' Ah, what?

Good on The CW for taking on ZE, but yeah, it does sound better suited to ABC Family. Not sure I like the idea of it being based in Texas, I mean, I know shows are after drama, but a transgener teen living in that state may be a bit much.
Flag
as long as ZE takes place in a big city then it could be in any state. Nothing against smaller cities or towns but big cities often have more subgroups and therefore are usually (or more likely to be) more accepting. I'm having a hard time putting it into words but I hope it makes sense. Regardless, the neither of the shows interest me.
Flag
The People's Couch is based on a tv show in the UK called Googlebox. Where tv viewers watch others watching tv. Some people love it, I haven't watched it, it's a step too far for me.
Flag
The concept completely baffles me. I mean, you watch people watching television on television, just, no.
Flag
The longer it takes them to do an Entourage movie the less people will care.

Looks like House of Lies Season 3 is gonna be a good one
Flag
Is there a 2013 new show dead pool
Flag
Staff
It's coming!
Flag
I don't think the results for 2012 have been announced yet.
Flag
Yeah I never saw them
Flag
They were announced just this past week.

Flag
Hmmm....
ZE doesn't seems like a typical made story be credit for Tv.... It seems more as an film story only one time thing... Nobody wants to see change sex gender on long basics years, on any tv broadcast programming system.
Flag
ZE doesn't seem like a typical CW show AT ALL.
Flag
I will need to catch up on House of Lies for Eliza Coupe!!
Flag
Wow, Hardwick is heading straight for burnout-ville. I love Nerdist but this is way too much considering he has a late night talk show coming up. Keep the podcasts coming!
Flag
And will he host a post-cartoon talk show discussing his own creation? Is that a TV ouroboros? Will a wormhole open that destroys the universe? Wait, maybe that would be okay.
Flag
An ourowhoros?
Flag
I can't wait for Talking Wormhole.
Flag
If he was into westerns, I'd want to see him host AMC's post-Hell on Wheels gabfest: Yell on Wheels.

(His own spoof ad during a recent Comedy Bang! Bang! episode advertising his post-game roundup for that show -- Comedy Talk! Talk! -- was so perfectly done. It was the best thing I've seen him do and it was great to see him poking fun at his own overexposure.)

Flag
Fantastic name suggestion. Love it.
Flag
Suggestion: could the individual stories be "shareable"? For instance, I'd like to share the story about the CW show "ZE" on my FB page, but I would have to share this whole page, which means the thing about "Entourage" (which I have never cared for) would come up first. If you can do it with poll questions, maybe you can do this also! Thanks, keep up the good work!
Flag
There's a link to the source article at Deadline at the end of the paragraph, you could share that.
Flag
It's what I did. But I'd like to share from TV.com - it's funnier and I'm a fan.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members