Episodes Forums

Sunday 9:30 PM on ShowtimeBetween Seasons

Hard to watch

SeerMagicX

[1]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 16

Well I was pretty disappointed. The lead girl is awful with no comedic timing. I felt like I was watching an actress act if that makes any sense. Hopefully with more Matt screentime the show can improve. I give the first episode a D

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kartana

[2]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 9
    No it doesn't make sense and Tamsin Greig is brilliant!

kavselj

[3]Jan 10, 2011

SeerMagicX wrote:

Well I was pretty disappointed. The lead girl is awful with no comedic timing. I felt like I was watching an actress act if that makes any sense. Hopefully with more Matt screentime the show can improve. I give the first episode a D

Seems like you're one of those who need a laugh reel to know when to laugh. She fit perfectly in along with the rest of the cast (except that blond that kept giving **** comments and make weird faces).

staind47

[4]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 13
    To me, it just wasn't that funny. To each his own I guess. I do like Matt LeBlanc but this doesn't seem like my type of show.

friendserking

[5]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 13

From what I saw Matt Leblanc will probably be the only funny thing about this show so hopefully they start putting him in there as much as possible.

kavselj

[6]Jan 10, 2011
    Seeing as it was the pilot, I didn't mind Matt not being there at all. After all he's just as much the main star of the show as Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig are and pilot basically gave us the introduction of how they got into this mess. Give it 2-3 more episodes and I'm sure it will get better as the story progresses.

nppm

[7]Jan 11, 2011
    • level: 7

I expected so much more from this show, especially with one of the Friends creators and the British actors... British humor is the best, but not when it's done by Americans. The thing is, in my opinion, that the Americans tend to overdo stereotypes. It can be funny, but it's not in this case. The humor could be much more subtle and I feel that both the actors and the writers are trying way too hard to point out the obvious. Such a shame. I can't even bear to watch the next episode.

SeerMagicX

[8]Jan 11, 2011
    kavselj wrote:
    Seems like you're one of those who need a laugh reel to know when to laugh.

don't try to act like the humor was clever or something, it wasn't. I dont need a laugh track, but maybe this show needs one to help it's boring jokes.

kok_warlock

[10]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 11
    SeerMagicX wrote:
    kavselj wrote:

don't try to act like the humor was clever or something, it wasn't. I dont need a laugh track, but maybe this show needs one to help it's boring jokes.

I agree completely, the show overall wasn't funny, and I don't know Tamsin Greig's work, but in this pilot, I thought she was awful, specially in the first half, her tone of voice and portrayal of the character striked me as incredibly annoying, at times it was painful to watch her on-screen.

The second half of the pilot was a slight improvement, for this show to work, they definitely need to do better in the writing department, and most of the actors performance was pretty flat, Merc's character was ridiculous, I can see they tried to make him a little over the top, but it didn't work, and don't even get me started on that production office.

I definitely see them depending completelly on Matt Leblanc to do all the comedy, because the rest of the cast simply wasn't funny, however, not bad, but average writing played a major part in it.

aquamanuk

[11]Jan 13, 2011

Tamsin Greig is 100 times the comedic actor that Matt LeBlanc could ever hope to be. Her performance was absolutely Brilliant and true to form for British Humor. Those who dont find her part and her lines funny and wetting themselves, well that is whey american's never truly understand or ever will understand British Humor!

kok_warlock

[12]Jan 14, 2011

aquamanuk wrote:

Tamsin Greig is 100 times the comedic actor that Matt LeBlanc could ever hope to be. Her performance was absolutely Brilliant and true to form for British Humor. Those who dont find her part and her lines funny and wetting themselves, well that is whey american's never truly understand or ever will understand British Humor!

Well, I'm not american, but I watch a lot of american and british shows, You can't just say she is brilliant, without any arguments to backup your statement, but if you feel like americans will "never trully understand or ever will understand British Humor", then you have to agree that she shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Like I said, I don't know her work other than this show, and in it, she was awful, bad timind, annoying and completelly out of place, but to be fair to the actress, I think some bad writing played a major part in it, but I do think that bad acting also played it's role.

Edited on 01/14/2011 10:10am
    Edited 2 total times.

aquamanuk

[13]Jan 14, 2011
    Perhaps your comments are niave and showing that you are not fully versed in the premise of this new type of show.
    It is called a CO-PRODUCTION. It is made by the BBC and Showtime and aires in both the UK and USA, so it has to appeal to at least one of the audiences. And since it will be sold to most of the Anglo-phone nations like Canada, Australia, NZ, etc... where they do understand British humor and where Tamsin is actually a very well known actor, to say she is unknown carries the same weight as an american saying that Freddie Mercury and Kylie are insignifigant because they have zero career in the USA. But all are/were major stars/performers in the rest of the 6.5 billion people of the world. There is life beyond the boarder of the USA and this show will probably be a huge succes in the rest of the world even if it is a flop in a country where 80% of the population born, live, and die- never leaving the county they were born in...

aquamanuk

[14]Jan 14, 2011
    ps. forgot to mention her previous acting, her portrayal of the nurse on Satellite Five on the episode called the Long Game on Doctor Who, she conveyed more humor and histerical laugher with Just a simple look than Joey could ever utter from his lips, but then that is american humor, it has to be along the lines of knock knock or a man walks into a bar and says, if it is more sophisticated/developed than that, it is well out of your depth.

aquamanuk

[15]Jan 14, 2011
    Something struck me as odd with your comment, you expect an 'arguement' to substantiate that tamsin is a actor of gravitas... no arguement is required, her work stands for itself. If she was insufficient to play the part, then as with all other american remakes of british tv shows she would have been recast with an american playing her part.
    it was done with all in the family
    sanford and son
    who's the boss
    three's company
    queer as folk
    the office
    etc...
    a very very very long list of programs that americans consider a staple of their televisional heritage, are just remakes with same scripts as their original British versions.

kok_warlock

[16]Jan 14, 2011
    Easy, no need to get so defensive, also no need to go in another one of your anti-american bashing, like I said, I'm not american, and I also didn't like the show.

You can like the actress all you want, specially for her past work, that you know her, I however, didn't like her at all, at least in this show.

In the second episode, that I just finished watching, she is still pretty unsympathetic, and she seems to antagonize everybody, but at least she isn't annoying as she was in the first one, this show also needs a remark improvement, because it's not funny at all.

SeerMagicX

[17]Jan 15, 2011

I watch plenty of British shows. kok said it best, she was awful, bad timing, annoying. Maybe she's really good in other stuff, but you can try to insult us all day wont make her any better in this show.

Edited on 01/15/2011 6:58am

Spoontown

[18]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 10
    I expect the rest to be funnier. The cast have good pedigree Tamsin Greig was in Black Books and Green Wing and displayed great comedy timing in both so that comment has been said after only 1 episode. Too many good ingredients to make this a bad series, the Brits especially rarely do bad shows.

Ouji-San

[19]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 4

Id like to know how this show got a 8.5 Its horrible? is it about matt le Blanc (Friends star and Joey). Sure as hell didnt show much of him to make anything funny. To me it is a show making fun of how stupid americans can be and how **** up American television and movies can be when it comes to making a American Version. and its crap. the part with the Security guard was the only thing close to funny. I wanted to switch it off in the first 5 minutes but my GF wanted to see if it was going to get better...by the time i realised it was finished...still not funny. Snore fest is a understatement.. ppl commit suicide watching this.

kavselj

[20]Jan 17, 2011

SeerMagicX wrote:
    kavselj wrote:
    My apologies. Judging by the trailer and previews I really wanted this show to be good hence my defensive reply but after seeing the 2nd episode I'm starting lose hope. If Beverly was bearable in pilot, she was rather annoying in 2nd ep and pushed in front way too many times. 3rd ep seems to focus a little bit more on Matt and Lincoln which might be a good thing because like Matt said: "He's the funny one." Don't know if they want us to hate Beverly on purpose but there are far better ways of doing that without annoying the viewer to the point of nearly tuning out.

Edited on 01/24/2011 9:50am