ER

A Long, Strange Trip

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Feb 05, 2009 on NBC

• Beautiful classic episode...

This episode really delivered. After a couple of disappointing weeks, finally ER gets it right. The installment was interesting on all points. The sick doctor who managed to save a life for his last hurrah made me want to stand up and cheer. As a younger type person, I feel weary of people older than me who chant about the good old days. What a refreshing reality to see someone who believed things could be better in the future and acted to see it happen. Medicine has improved and I am so glad.

When Sam's sister showed up, I will admit I assumed she was there because she was in some kind of trouble. That long lost family member in trouble story has been done and redone on ER. This was a nice change. The actress in this role was very dynamic and both women made their relationship completely believable. As a huge fan on contrasts, I thought this episode was a wonderful example of the stories that can be told to show the vast difference in our human nature. The mother who would sacrifice all for the child who needed more. The old doctor who fought for the ability to care for patients in unimaginable ways in the ER. The younger doctor (Dubenko) who couldn't imagine a new method would actually work better for appendectomy patient.

Lastly, kudos to the costuming and props people. It was really interesting to see the changes in technology and tools. This was a great episode.