ER

A Long, Strange Trip

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Feb 05, 2009 on NBC

• Through the eyes of Oliver, we see how the ER used to be.

In this episode of ER, the following happens. Sam's sister, Kelly turns up at the ER to see Sam. An old man, named Oliver is brought into the ER after being mugged. When they track down the man who attacked him, they find a retired watch from County among his belongings. He used to work at County. We learn that Kelly has signed over her designs to Billabong for about $2million. Kelly tells Sam that since she is going to be travelling she wants to move their mother to Chicago so that Sam can visit her whilst she is away. It is here that we learn that Sam hasn't spoken to her mother since she was 15 years old. Oliver manages to diagnose a woman with T.B., whilst every other test showed she had terminal cancer. When further tests are run, it is confirmed that she has T.B. We also learn that Oliver has dementia. Sam learns that her mother stopped all contact between her and her sister. Sam sent letters, phoned, but their mother won't let her speak to her sister and she didn't pass on the letters. Oliver was the Chief of the ER back over 40 years ago. They move him into Trauma 1, and every gathers round whilst he breathes his last breathe. Throughout the episode, through the eyes of Oliver, we see how things would have happened in this episode of ER, if it was 40 years ago.