ER

Atonement

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 17, 2008 on NBC

• A good episode

I really think this was a good episode of this season what has had quite many weak episodes. This definitely stand out - I would say mainly because of the story. It was really moving and thought provoking. I am not religious people and so it cannot mean maybe as much for me as it could but the way that man battled himself for over things he did in past and trying every way to fix it. What he had done for those families. It was moving.

And ofcourse Julia. I think I liked her char and this episode really broke her - the way those word hurted what shows very well how words can do more than acts.

And the hockey match was good and we did have some fun too.
  • Good episode dealing with some important issues about life and death, as well as some silly fun and games.

Most powerful story: Robert Truman, prison doctor and executioner, dying from cancer, looking for forgiveness for what he has done by helping families of executed prisoners. I feel sad for Truman. He is afraid of dying and desperately wants to be forgiven before he dies, but he doesn't get the spiritual guidance he needs. Silly story: Neela playing ice-hockey with the ortho team against the trauma surgeons, and fighting with Morris. Later the teams continue fighting in the ER. Not a very professional thing to do!

Funniest dialogue: Morris: ".....You're too serious......" Neela: "I'm fun." Morris: "No, you're English." Kiss of the week: Gates & Sam kissing outside "Ike's". I guessed something was about to happen between those two, but I think they are an odd couple.

This is the last of the "pre-strike" episodes, so I'll take a moment to sum up this season so far: Season 14 hasn't been as good as the previous one. Old characters (Kerry, Ray, Luka, possibly Abby and Pratt) have left or are on their way out, but they haven't really been replaced very well by new ones. Some new characters have been introduced, but they have seemed to disappear again quickly. The continuity has been bad this season. Some storylines have been a bit too superficial for my taste, for instance Harold's, Jaspreet's and Sam's. I don't watch "Greys Anatomy", but I've heard people compare it to "ER" this season, and if "GA" is about stories like these, it worries me if "ER" will go in that direction.

On the other hand, as painful as it was to watch it, Abby had a really strong storyline, and Maura's acting was as brilliant as ever. We got a little update on what's happened to some of the old characters (Jeanie, Reg, Al Boulet, Doug & Carol, Carter) which was nice.
    Also, I have surprised myself by actually liking Gates better this season. Somehow he's grown on me... Surprise, surprise!
  • ER artfully, passionately and artfully trumps the movie Atonement. I loved the movie Atonement- until the end. Atonement was articulate, intense, passionate, meaningful, romantic and deep.

In the end, the heart of the movie was pulled out. Its need for a climactically atoning ending never occured. The movie anticlimaxed with a placebo "atonement". For me, the whole movie came crashing down, as if the cornerstone was pulled out. Atonement portrays "atonement" as if it can be otained through one's artistic abilities (writing great novels). One reviewer wrote: "Can an artist make amends for her sins through her art?" - Peter Travis of Rolling Stone.
    Is our need for atonement transcendant and substantial or is it something we can create for ourselves? Is atonement an subjective occurance or it is an absolute- related to what we need before God? ER artfully, passionately and artfully trumps the movie Atonement.
    Dr Truman needs real answers to save himself from guilt, shame and eternal seperation from God. The chaplan's gospel deficient understanding of atonement has nothing to help him. Atonement needs substance and that substance is faith. WE need to be made right with God, not just with ourselves. Biblically, "atonement" can be understood if you break the word down. "at - one -ment" we were "one" with Jesus at the momement He died for our sins. He died for our sins once and for all. He reconciled us to God. Jesus made us right in God's sight. The movie Atonement left out the cornerstone- Jesus.

Let us not lose faith in people whom we may not consider spiritual- every soul knows as some level our need for atonement.

Vincent
    www.gracecreed.com
  • Silly in a good way

This episode was a relief from the drama which usually surrounds ER (May i just say i like the drama !) but this episode was still good. Ortho VS Surgery was great and scott grimes little twisty thing he done on the ice (Side note- if he wasnt going to be an actor he was going to be an ice skater of some kind !). But what annoys me is that there wasnt any Abby !! it was mainly centered around Sam, gates, pratt and some others but it was still a good one. the ending is what i LOVED the most, id been waiting since s14 e1 for that ! there had always been a certain 'tension' ! lol
  • Hockey silliness and cast comraderie abounds.....

Okay....so I felt like a freaking ping pong ball after watching this episode. Bang...silly hockey game set up....bang....intense and dreary near drowning.... bang....hockey game silliness....bang....intense and dreary back story of near drowning savior....bang...hockey game... bang...prison executioner...bang....hockey game pig pile.... bang bang bang. Throw in some Gates and Sam snipeing at each other and an occasional glimpse of Pratt's fear of commitment angst...oh and Skye's back for a shot or two. Heh...getting nekkid again. Totally wierd episode. And no wonder. This was the last of the 'written' episodes before the strike. The one with the 'notes' and not much else. Gotta hand it to the actors and the director and the producers for trying. The show was choppy. There didn't appear to be a patient/doctor story that helped meld the intense and the silly. But the episode was still worth a 9 rating in my estimation. I love when the cast gets together for something fun. I don't remember the baseball game of season 7's 'Where The Heart Is' taking up quite so much screen time but it was the same kind of fun. I love Scott Grimes....especially when he is allowed to be something more than a character in search of romantic conquest. His needling of Neela on the ice was classic...and, a rarity for ER, showed some character continuity. Who else got a flash of Neela behind a counter with a snarky Liberty foam headband when he told her to go back to work at the Jumbo Mart?? Hee. I like Pratt. I like Bettina. Not sure if I really like Pratt and Bettina. I do not like Sam. I do not like Gates. Not sure if I do not like Sam and Gates. Wouldn't hang around long to watch them do much but ride off into the sunset, but they deserve one another. The incident that was most gripping personally was the scene with Julia and the prison doctor. I have felt that her character was a little too light...a little too condencending when it came to her career of choice. She tried to embrace and bridge too much. It was gleefully devastating to see her ripped apart in that trauma room. I am entirely invested in seeing how she deals. Never liked her with Gates. But I hope that don't let her slide into ER oblivion after that scene. I want to know what happens to her.
  • Hillarious! A relief from all the drama.

I think we've all been waiting for a bit of comic relief since the whole Ray-getting-his-legs-chopped-off story. This was the first time in a LONG time I've ever laughed instead of cried for this show.

The whole hockey storyline. So silly, and so cute. Morris getting at Neela for working at JumboMart, claiming to have slept with her, a "blankey" she sleeps with, good god, gotta love Morris.

PIGPILE! TWO of them! That was the best part, next to the announcement of the starting lineup for the team playing against Ortho. Crenshaw can't skate, Harold's a geek, Dubenko and his goofy grin. Gotta love it.

Thanks Ortho! Very relieving episode :)