ER

Atonement

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 17, 2008 on NBC

• ER artfully, passionately and artfully trumps the movie Atonement. I loved the movie Atonement- until the end. Atonement was articulate, intense, passionate, meaningful, romantic and deep.

In the end, the heart of the movie was pulled out. Its need for a climactically atoning ending never occured. The movie anticlimaxed with a placebo "atonement". For me, the whole movie came crashing down, as if the cornerstone was pulled out. Atonement portrays "atonement" as if it can be otained through one's artistic abilities (writing great novels). One reviewer wrote: "Can an artist make amends for her sins through her art?" - Peter Travis of Rolling Stone.
    Is our need for atonement transcendant and substantial or is it something we can create for ourselves? Is atonement an subjective occurance or it is an absolute- related to what we need before God? ER artfully, passionately and artfully trumps the movie Atonement.
    Dr Truman needs real answers to save himself from guilt, shame and eternal seperation from God. The chaplan's gospel deficient understanding of atonement has nothing to help him. Atonement needs substance and that substance is faith. WE need to be made right with God, not just with ourselves. Biblically, "atonement" can be understood if you break the word down. "at - one -ment" we were "one" with Jesus at the momement He died for our sins. He died for our sins once and for all. He reconciled us to God. Jesus made us right in God's sight. The movie Atonement left out the cornerstone- Jesus.

Let us not lose faith in people whom we may not consider spiritual- every soul knows as some level our need for atonement.

Vincent