ER

Blizzard

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Dec 08, 1994 on NBC

• A truly amazing episode, pearl of first season

It was such a special and great episode - that beautiful Christmas music and all the fun and humor, good time at the beginning. It was such a fun to see them all not so stressed up, having great time. And when those traumas came in - all the motion, fast moving, dynamic. It was so enjoyable. There will be that kind of episodes (major accident) is almost every season coming, but this one - it is special. The first season does have something what is lost later.

And all the storyline with Bob and her saving that man. It was just so great addition to this episode.
  • The unthinkable occurs, as the ER goes from seemingly vacant, to becoming deluged with scores of injured after a thirty-plus car pile-up caused by a horrendous blizzard.

The viewer is brought into the ER to find nothing but shenanigans about. The staff that have arrived for work have found absolutely no patients to care for, resulting in all of them to go as far as roller blading around the ER, to creating a cast on an unsuspecting and sleeping Carter, even to playing a game of soccer. But all of their fun and play quickly comes to a halt. County gets word that there has been a thirty-plus car pile-up on the Kennedy Expressway, with as much as one hundred injured. The staff spring into action, preparing the ER for the deluge of casualties making their way to the hospital. In the midst of pure chaos still lies hope, as Polish immigrant and janitor Bob illegally but successfully revives a man from dying. Though Bob is to thank for the man’s feat over death, she bounds out of the ER in fears that legal action will be taken, since she is not a doctor by law in America. Finally, it seems the staff has survived, and with flying colors. The episode ends warmly as the staff celebrates an early Christmas (and of course the triumph over the disaster) with music and pizza. But the most touching moments come as Dr. Greene is leaving the hospital for home. As he walks out of the ambulance bay, a mother and father with baby are making their way to the hospital entrance. Sure enough, it is the mother and father Greene helped via phone to deliver their baby during the blizzard. All in all, this is a timeless series classic that really shows the caliber of a drama such as ER.
  • easy going pre-Christmas day turns into a disaster as huge car accident puts County General into disaster procedure

I really liked this episode Probobly because of the beginning when there are no patients at all and all the doctors/nurses are just having fun. Greene and Lewis putting the cast on carter is hilarious. And I like how he has it on for basicly the whole show. I really like the switch from the playful atmosphere to when the accident happens and the ER is swamped. i really like it when its really chaotic like it was then and there's people everywhere doing so many things. I find its extremely exiting. WEll all in all a very good episode.
  • A slow starting day in ER turns out to be one of the hardest..

Everywhere is covered with snow and ER is dead. No patients even the homeless come. The staff starts entertaining themselves, like Greene and Lewis putting a cast on Carter`s leg and then calling him "Because sticking his hand in a bucket of warm water would be juvenile". They all sit and wait for Carter to come out and he comes.. very disgracefully. The fun continues on until a traffic accident happens and patients come. It`s a disaster with lots of hurt people and the Er staff trying to save them. Blizzard is a really good episode with lots of fun and excitement.
  • In the midst of a Chicago blizzard, there is a 30+ car pile-up, and Cook County General Hospital is the only receiving. Bob cross-clamps an aorta.

This is one of the reasons I watch ER for! While there may not be a lot of character development, it's extremely exciting! It also has hints of humor throughout, particularly Greene and Lewis putting the cast on Carter! It had sad moments as well. One of those moments was when Benton was working on a patient and he realized he knew the patient, and he was missing his leg. Another sad moment is when Doug green-tagged a man, and he wound up dieing.

Bob and the surgery was a great moment. It was amusing to see that the woman who everyone thought was a bit dim was actually a vascular surgeon.
  • In this very exciting episode, things start slow for the ER gang. Greene and Lewis play a prank on Carter. Ross and Linda Farrell return from the Bahamas to see Carol showing her engagement ring from Taglieri. A giant blizzard causes a giant car pileup an

Blizzard showed us how a slow morning in the ER can turn from dull to exciting in very little time. Carol comes in engaged to John Taglieri. They were fighting in the last episode; they settled her kiss with Doug Ross surprisingly quick. In the previous episode, Tag was furious at Carol. When Greene and Lewis put that cast on Carter, I suppose it may be Greene\'s way of making up for his lack of doing funny stuff when he was younger. Also, Mookie, the boy Haleh has interning in the ER, sees the things that can happen to people and develops a new attitude about how things are. This is his last appearance that I know of; hopefully he has changed for the better.
  • Crazy Chicago Weather!

Only ER could create a blizzard like this. I think the whole staff had learned that the ER can never stay empty.Carol is engaged and Doug is not happy. Greene and Lewis put a cast on Carter’s leg because “ putting his hands in cold water is juvinile”.When everyone is goofing off they receive a call: a forty car pile up. The ER staff prepares for the worst because Mercy is closed. The staff is on their feet, you have everything from a man needing an ice pack to a man who’s leg I cut off. Surgery is full and doctors from other hospitals are called in. Doug accidently green cards a man who should have been handeled right away. The man ends up dying and Doug feels responsible, Greene tells him it okay because he triaged so many paitents and accidents happen. Lewis diagnosis a man with an Aortic Anyersum and no OR’s are open. She decides to do the surgery in the ER , but she has trouble finding a Surgeon. While Susan is looking for a surgeon her paitent gets worse and Bob steps in and cracks the mans chest open to everybody’s surprise. Susan comes back and asks what happens and Bob runs. Dr. Greene ends up helping a man deliver his son over the phone. Patrick ends up throwing a mini christmas party in the ER. And last but not least we meet DR. Hicks.

Like I said only ER could pull of something like this. The episode was put toughther nicely the ransition between each scene was smooth and worked. Each character had good screentime and we saw the effects on everybody. Carol’s face when she found out how much her ring cost was priceless, I guess she never thought Tag would spend that much on her. The most surprising thing though was Bob. No one would have ever guessed she was a vascular surgeon in her country.

• Great direction and a superb script.

This is one of those episodes that if it had been directed by other people, it would have lost most of the quality Mimi Leder provided it with.
    When can actually see it in the sequence when everybody is getting ready for the emergency call. We see them working over the clock (a superb editing job) with a soft song as the only soundtrack, ending with a final scene where everyone is ready for battle and looking right into the camera as if defying us.
    The chaos then bursts into ER and we only see and hear chaos everywhere, very well directed indeed. There is only a moment of peace when nurse Haleh holds a baby in her arms and sings a lullaby. Then a steadycam twirls around them and we still see chaos, but we no longer feel it. That is the great work of a great director.
    The subplots here are not as important as the main one: we see Bob's achievement, Linda's kindness, Doug's error, Carol's engagement... but everything melts into the final scene, where Patricks lightens up ER with his good heart... and a lot of bulbs.
    I would say this is the best episode of the season.
  • Calm before the storm

a 32 car pile up ends what began as a completely quiet ER. This sets the stage that has several people out of their normal roles.

We find out that Bob is not who we think she is, as she performs an emergency procedure on a patient. Turns out that Bob is a vascular surgeon from Poland, who is starting over in America.

We see a complete role reversal when a motorcycle accident victim removes Carter's cast, that was put on as a gag. (All though funny, the prank is mean and unprofessional.)

Linda Farrell helps answer phones during the heat of the crisis, and orders pizza for everyone. We want to dislike her, because we want to see Doug and Carol together. But it is difficult to dislike her in this episode.

And Patrick decorates the ER, and saves the Christmas spirit. His timing isn't necessarily perfect, as he starts the music a couple of times during inappropriate moments.

The doctors are not without their flaws, as Dr. Ross misses a diagnosis, and we lose one patient that may not have otherwise been lost. Carter also treats an Asian woman due to a lack of communication. Turns out that she was not a patient, but a woman who was picking up her husband.

The writing is also not without flaw. When we last left Carol and Tag, the relationship was in peril. Carol admits to Tag in ER Confidential that she had slept with Doug, while she was seeing Tag. She also admits the kiss. Somehow, between then and now, Tag popped the question, and Carol is sporting a new, gigantic rock. It's almost as if the writers for the two episodes did not know what the other was doing.

The episode does end on a high note, thanks to Patrick's Christmas spirit, and the baby that Mark delivered via phone instrustion. Even though there were bumps along the way, the ER staff handled a very tough, insane event.
  • This episode was well written and fun to watch.

I love the contrast in this episode between the beginning where the ER is almost dead and the later when it is full of patients. It combines a lot of dramatic elements, and a lot of surprises. Dr Ross realizing that he misdiagnosed Mr Ramos was a surprise twist, but the best scene was where Bob is forced to operate to save the man's life. The best part of the episode is the end when everthing is finished and they are celebrating. The part where Dr Greene and Dr Lewis put the cast on Carter at the beginning is funny, and adds some comic relief.