ER

Body and Soul

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Feb 02, 2006 on NBC

• Actor James Woods play a man suffering from ALS and we see the progression of the illness from the current day backwards to the diagnosis.

I am watching these on CityTV in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I have to say this is one of the best episodes I have ever watch from ER.. Aside from Season 15's Heal Thy Self.

James Woods is one of my most favorite actors in the whole entire world and to see him play a man suffering from ALS made the show much better then any one could have made it.

James really made me believe that he had the ALS himself.. ER Creators Really Brought to light this illness. I have to give the ER Creators A Lot of Credit!
  • A very moving story...

I love episodes like that - what have so serious, so deep and moving storyline, what makes me cry. There were more of them on the early seasons and they are getting rare but this is the one what goes to that list - the way the episode was built up - the present and those flashbacks to past, to show the way that man got to the point, the way disease can get over your life.. all those things happen.. and there is nothing that they can do - but what he did - he fight.. and as we learn in the end - he taught Abby to fight and not to give up.. as so she was there, on the right moment.. to remind it to him..

Very beautiful episode.
  • I have not had the pleasure of seeing this episode, but I am looking forward to doing so since I have a special connection to the subject matter at hand.

My father is suffering from Lou Gerhig's Disease (ALS). Has been for two years now. I do not feel there is enough awareness of this deadly, life threatening disease.

I have read the other reviews and I must say that I am a little upset at the opinions I have seen on a few. I understand that they may center on one main person, but what people don't seem to understand themselves is that ALS is not something to be pushed to the back burner.

Let me tell you. Two years ago, my father was walking me down the isle, just his left hand giving him troubles. Now he is bed-ridden, eating from a feeding tube and on a ventilator unable to speak. He can not move any part of his body. He can not hug his grandchildren or kiss his wife of 31 years anymore. Basically as long as his lungs don't give out, he can stay like that for a long time. Mentally he is just as intelligent as ever. Physically...he is gone.

I am not telling you this for sympathy. I am telling you this in hopes that you will try to inform yourself more on the subject and research to see what you might do to help in your area. Check out my Myspace site for more information in the near future.

GOD BLESS!
  • This episode pointed a spotlight at a serious disease.

6.2
    This episode was not normal ER, but it was a very good episode nonetheless. It was good because it brought attention to ALS and how it affects people. Sometimes the fortunate healthy need to be reminded of those who aren't as fortunate and what they go through.

I liked how it tells the story via flashbacks that jump further back each time (even though it provided continuity errors). It's a typical ER thing to do, to experiment with story-telling in this way.

I also though the episode provided some great acting performances, mainly by James Woods.

The downside in my opinion was how Abby refused to honor Dr. Lennox' wishes. I can think of few things more terrifying than being in his situation and being forced to stay alive when that's not what I want. Don't get me wrong, I am not a promotor of death support, but in some cases life is not to be preferred over death. People should be allowed the chance to live their last years with dignity.

• Wasn\'t The Best Episode, but the acting was fantastic.

This episode didn\'t exactly catch my attention, some parts of it was a bit boring. I like more than one storyline for some reason. It interests me more I guess.The acting was fantastic, especially by James Woods. He was a thrill to watch. I thought Maura Tierney did a great job also, as always!

I was actually worried when I found out that the entire episode was about a patient. However, the producers once again pulled it off.
  • Didn't really hold my interest.

7.3
    This episode I thought was quite boring and I hated the flashbacks.
    The part was played very very well and it showed very well how this disease affects you. I did feel very sad for him and people that suffer from this same disease.

A lot of the main cast was missing from this episode and to me it just seemed bit of a filler episode. It wasn't carrying on with any of the current storylines.

I did like the references to past characters eg. Chen and Mark Green through some of the past flashbacks. I was glad that they didn't ignore them, it made it seem more real.
  • Average may be rating this episode too highly

4.8
    A very average episode, not what I have come to expect from ER. I was disappointed by this episode. There was too much focus on the one patient. The episode did not manage to capture and hold my attention. By halfway through I wanted the epsiode to be over. I'm afraid I would not recommend this episode to anyone.
    The episode would have been better with either more of the main characters, or simply more patients. Just having the one patient does not seem to be enough for this show, not in this episode anyway. The show is set in an ER so we expect to see traumas, doctors rushing about, multiple patients, but this episode just did not live up to expectations.
  • For an episode that focuses on only one patient, it sure was done magnificently! It almost made me cry, and episodes like these just go to show that "ER" is still able to keep going strong. And I actually have watched for years...

I still like Abby and Luke and the pregnancy storylines, but since they decided they had to take a break, it couldn't have been done better. I absolutely adored this episode, and like I said back in my summary, I almost cried at the end. Poor Professor Nate- people can't even tell if he's out of it, and he doesn't want to be a soul trapped in a corpse. It was a wonderful episode... truly. I hope everyone agrees that they liked it. You'll see I didn't give it a 10.0- it wasn't THAT good- I liked the episodes "Be Still My Heart" and "All in the Family" better than this. But it was well done. A fine example of "ER".
  • this was great

this episode was one of the better planned of the saeson, the idea he may not of wanted the trach was not clear , Abby, was not wrong ,misgiuded maybe, but she did it all for Nate. he would , not allow her to do quit, she couldn't allow him too, but she also knew what her job was, and what she had to do, it would be hard very touching
  • A very special episode.

This was a very special episode. James Woods did an excellent job as Nate Lennox who is suffering from ALS. He obviously did his research. I thought the flashback scenes were expertly done. They show Nate during different stages of the disease and we see him tell Abby not to give up on being a doctor. He bets her $10.00 she will pass and she interns bets him $10.00 at the end not to give up on fight. Also, Ally Walker(Fran) looked rather frail. Was it due to her being his assistant or have I missed something. I always thought she was pretty when she was on PROFILER.
  • Without a doubt, one of ER's best and a reminder of how great teachers inspire us all.

I thought ER had lost it\'s spark and ability to inspire, but last night\'s episode was one of it\'s finest hours. It deserves comparisons to such classic episodes like \"Love\'s Labor Lost\" and \"Hell and High Water.\" James Woods, in a rare television performance, reminds us why he is one of the best actors period. The reverse flashback mode was a clever storytelling method, showing Dr. Lennox at the very worse state of his disease back to the days when he inspired impressionable med students, like Abby Lockhart.

Most importantly, the episode touched on how great teachers inpsire us. My only minor quibble with the episode was the title cards reminding us of \"today,\" as if we weren\'t smart enough to figure it out ourselves. Aside form that, this was one of ER\'s finest hours and a reminder to honor the people who inspire us and live life to the fullest. I know it\'s a cheesy lesson, but ER pulls it off gracefully.
  • The epsidoe wasn't that good.

I thought that tonights episode what alright but not great. The storyline wasn't that great. I saw the previews and I can't wait to bring Carter back. I can't wait to see what happens to Clememnte next week. The episode was focused to much on that one patient, and it was getting boring towards the end. ER should have at least brought in a trauma in the epsidoe just to keep the viewers attention. The storyline should have jsut kept the episode in the present day. The flashbacks that occur were getting confusing, and they had to many flashbacks. The epside I thought should have never been aired because of the bore the viewers had.
  • Just when you write off ER...

ER has been around for a long time now. It's like a sports team. It has won a few championships and it went through it's rebuilding years.

As of late I was writing the show off as done. The new cast members are making a valiant effort, but you can only make doctors fall in love and break up so many times, and you can only tell so many patients stories.

And then you get an episode like tonight. James Woods arrives in the ER as a rather popular late stage ALS patient. Having lost the ability to walk and speak, his communication is limited. This leads the staff to his charts, where we learn this is not his first time in County. Through a series of flashbacks we learn how this man came to mean so much to members of the ER, especially Abby of course. It also gives a chilling glimpse of how ALS and illnesses like it eat away a human. By going back in time, we reveal how this seemingly lifeless body was once a bounding wealth of knowledge and hope.

A touching episode and powerful argument for stemcell research.
  • as good as ER has ever been

Just very quickly, ER is better than ever. I can hardly believe that I thought it would never be the same once Mark Green died. Each of the current characters is as good as any you have ever given us. How interesting that Paul McCrane directed this episode. James Woods was genius. Please keep up the great work.
  • an interesting point of view

Well, at first glance this looks like a repeat of past storylines, but it's not, it's a totally differnt perspective. We see a dying man having to make difficult decisions about his final days, and we see how he got to that point. It's incredibly difficult for Abby, because Dr Lennox is her mentor and the one who inspired her to be a doctor. James Wood is a very talented actor and I enjoyed his role in this episode. The flashbacks are interesting, not only because we learn about Nate's past, but also because they look back at ER's past, making references to Dr Greene and Dr Romano. This was an outstanding episode overall.