ER Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

Episode Discussion for 14.7 (Blackout)

ravenswood13

[1]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 43
    Air date (new episode): November 8, 2007

"Blackout"
    A power outage strikes on an unusually hot day, bringing nursing home patients suffering from hyperthermia to the ER. Abby and Pratt disagree about diagnostic tests for a fussy baby. Morris and Pratt get their board results, and the ER staff celebrates at Ike's. Moretti and Abby's interactions intensify, and Abby finds herself at a dark and frightening crossroads.

REMINDER: The episode discussion threads are spoiler-free. Within the thread, anything that has already been broadcast is not considered a spoiler and can be discussed, including the content of the end-of-episode preview. If what you know has not been broadcast, however, it is a spoiler and should be discussed in the Season 14 Spoiler Thread.

Future air date:
    November 15, 2007, "Coming Home"
    Edited on 02/09/2008 5:34pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shana868

[2]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 40

Sorry...but from the couple of words I accidentally read as I was waiting for the forum to load 'Blackout - A power...' I just had to comment that:

Blackout (season 14) = Power (season...5)

Edited on 11/07/2007 12:19pm

Doctor_Crowe

[3]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    Shana868 wrote:

Sorry...but from the couple of words I accidentally read as I was waiting for the forum to load 'Blackout - A power...' I just had to comment that:

"Power" was about a blackout in the ER as "Blackout" is about power outages around Chicago so I don't think it's really the same thing.

Edited on 11/07/2007 11:31pm

Shana868

[4]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 40
    Doctor_Crowe wrote:
    Shana868 wrote:

"Power" was about a blackout in the ER as "Blackout" is about power outages around Chicago so I don't think it's really the same thing.

Aha.

As I said I only read the first three words or so...

Doctor_Crowe

[5]Nov 8, 2007
    Shana868 wrote:
    Doctor_Crowe wrote:
    Shana868 wrote:

Aha.

As I said I only read the first three words or so...

There could be some power outages in the ER as well though. But if there is, it probably won't be a complete blackout like in "Power".

OTH_TW_lover

[6]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 23
    Wow I cant believe that Abby did that. I wonder if thats going to come in to play when Luca gets back.

ER4life

[7]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 20
    I wish I had the time right now to comment more in-depth on tonight's episode, but the Abby-Moretti fling -- abysmal. IMO, this was probably the absolute worst storyline I have ever seen on any episode. I've lost complete respect for Moretti, and lost quite a bit for Abby. The performace was memorable, yes, but the plot was rock-bottom.

ElocinDancer

[8]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 6

I am shocked. Wow. What a powerful episode. I had read the spoilers, being apparently incapable of waiting to see what each episode holds, and I was still surprised. I had assumed they would kind of leave it up in the air...did they...didn't they...who really knows? But I think it was abundantly clear tonight. This will come as no surprise to anyone who has read my posts, but I thought Maura's acting tonight was superb. Outstanding. I loved the whole drunk Abby thing. I am not sure how I feel about her sleeping with Moretti though....that's a little far even for a drama queen like me. I can't believe she did that! The girl who played the babysitter was awful. Couldn't they find anyone who could say a few lines? Ugh.

Loved the reference to Mark Green and Doug Ross! Awesome! Even though the girl was like "Who?" and then they quickly changed the subject. But still...that was awesome. I can't believe Morris didn't pass the boards...poor guy. He seemed so devastated. I felt bad for him. The new kid is driving me nuts. While it is nice to see an ordinary face among all these Hollywood beauties...his is a little too ordinary for my taste...anyways, those are my thoughts. What are yours?

eoyguy

[9]Nov 8, 2007

This episode was a double edged sword. On one hand, the silliness continued with Morris, though toned down from last week. For the first 5 minutes the only thing that came to my mind was how appropriate Morris' comment about "stopping the silly comedy routine" was turning out to be. Amazing how quickly they can go from him doing everything he can to remain loyal to Hope to now he's been dumped and wants to be a chick magnet. That was one of those dead end, single episode plot contrivances that I hate.

Gates is still, for me, a waste of air time. I care not a wit about what he and the chaplain do or don't do. And the Neela and sidekick comedy team needs to disappear now.

Once again I would like to know who was staffing the ER while the gang is getting liquored up at the bar. The only person who didn't stay was Morris.

I'm not sure what they are doing with the Moretti. Instead of the antagonist the show needs, in the vein of Weaver or Romano, he has taken this hard turn into creepy land, and another Clement with all kinds of personal baggage appears to be on the horizon. The show really needs him to be a strong leader and task master, but sadly I think they are taking him down another path.

Pratt passing the test and Morris failing was so obvious, saw that one coming from a mile away. At least Pratt was around in this episode, and made his presence felt.

Chuny mentioning Green and Ross, and Sam saying "who?" actually irked me. Kind of a slap in the face to the folks that think ER has seen better days. Perhaps some of the writers have been listening in to these boards, and this is their response.

Two things I found odd. First, I think its poor writing to introduce a new character in one episode, then not have them at all in the next one. Skye was introduced last week as being an attending for a month or so, but is nowhere to be seen this week. That means the next episode she is in will be like another intro of her character, because I for one had already forgotten about her. Secondly, perhaps I missed something but in past seasons, ER generally followed the same time frame as the real world. However, we are in November, but in this episode its hot in Chicago and they are having blackouts because of power problems. If things hold true, they should be showing their Thanksgiving episode in a few weeks, and that will be a bit of a disconnect going from hot weather one week to a Thanksgiving episode in that short of span.

However, all of this took a back seat to Abby's story line (thank goodness). To see Abby as she has never been portrayed, that is, out of control and reckless, was really an eye opener, and refreshing in a sad way. Maura was excellent and really carried this episode. To say I cringed when she ended up with Moretti is an understatement. Not what I expected, and I guess so far out in left field it really shows how far she has fallen. But the absolute sadness and desperation were so well acted, I was actually happy to be enjoying some real quality ER drama for a change. I fear though, with Luka coming back next week, that this exploration of Abby's darker side may be short lived for a warm and fuzzy family reunion. Let s hope not, because this has been the most interesting, if not the best episode of the season.

Edited on 11/08/2007 9:27pm

soccermom

[10]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 11

because this has been the most interesting, if not the best episode of the season.

Oh, I would have to totally agree with the above statement. I thought tonight's episode was awesome. I am in total awe of Maura Tierney and her acting ability. The range she managed to cover tonight...and without a single eye roll for a change! Fabulous. I also like that Morris took an obvious deflating when he opened his test scores...and remained serious throughout the rest of the episode. I like that Scott Grimes much better than that can crunching dope in 'man camp'. And I have done some analyzing of my newfound deep hatred of Stanley Tucci. I will be forever prejudiced against the poor guy because oftheir deed tonight. Go away......shoo......right NOW!

Edited on 11/08/2007 9:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

VOYAJAH

[11]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 12

".....To say I cringed when she ended up with Moretti is an understatement. "

I too cringed when Moretti called Abby "Honey" (as she was rushing out of his apartment). I was very disappointed in Abby (more than in Moretti- he's new -so we don't know his true nature). Her character has come so far from the early days when she was perpetually dark, depressed, sometimes pathetic,and all around miserable. I liked the new "together" Abby. Positive, happy, productive. (She's been through so much, and it took her so long to get there.) This was a real set back for her character development. I wonder if it will be a temporary lapse, or will this turn be full blown, and take us back to the old Abby.

How did she get so bombed in that short period of time? Perhaps it hit her harder because she was sober for so long.

Will they sweep it under the rug, or will everything burst into flames?

We'll see, but I hope she can get it back together (and does not lose Luka in the process).

...It just dawned on me that- earlier in the season, Moretti made a passing comment to Abby. It was something like; "I'll be replacing your husband"., or "I'll be taking your husband's place" ...? (referring to Luka giving up his job- but a dumbfounded Abby gave a snotty/snide reply, as she mistook his intent- [..or not ??]); This was perhaps alluding to what was to develop in this episode. Nevertheless, this episode was shocking, and even dropping that clue would not have lead me to even imagine that those two would get together, EVER!

Edited on 11/09/2007 12:13am
    Edited 4 total times.

VOYAJAH

[12]Nov 8, 2007

Double Entendre

I just realized that the title "Blackout" was a double meaning, referencing the duality in the episode's plot.

Obscurity

Not only was there a blackout /power outage; Abby had a blackout as well (as a result of her drinking binge), which caused a fragmented recall of her liaison with Moretti. (Macro/Micro- The large scale blackout effecting everyone's environment, vs. the smaller scale personal situation; Abby/Moretti)

*Notable was-Abby saying to Moretti: "What happened?, How did I get here?"; and the end scene in the airport- Her tearful flashbacks of some of the intimate details.

Edited on 11/08/2007 11:37pm

VOYAJAH

[13]Nov 8, 2007

ravenswood13 wrote:
    . Moretti's ex-wife pays a visit, leaving him with troubling news. Abby finds herself at a crossroads and ends up at the airport late at night

I don't recall Moretti's ex wife. When was that? I remember that she telephoned early in the episode, but I don't think she visited. Perhaps it was originally in the script, (that she came in person and confronted him- maybe she will come into play later in the season. ??) or could be the scene was edited out of the final version of this episode.

Edited on 11/09/2007 12:20am
    Edited 2 total times.

ravenswood13

[14]Nov 9, 2007
    Yes, I was going off what was written in the TV Guide synopsis, and you're right, she never stopped by. Now that I've seen the episode I've changed the summary.

ravenswood13

[15]Nov 9, 2007
    This was an absolutely riveting episode. It moved me in a way that ER has not done for a very long time. Sorry this is so short but I must sleep now. Will write more tomorrow!

eoyguy

[16]Nov 9, 2007
    One thing to note. It was Moretti that got Abby her drink at the bar. She wasn't able to get the bar tenders attention, then had the arguement with Pratt outside. When she returned, Moretti had the drink waiting for her, saying "I got his attention". Maybe the implication could be that he drugged her? At the least he could see she was already sloshed, and giving her another drink was a little less than the responsible or right thing to do.

loosedbow

[17]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 5
    I highly doubt he drugged her, she was already slightly more than wasted. He's still a pretty big slimebag though, he didn't seem that drunk and took advantage of her.

soccermom

[18]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    I agree that he definitley took advantage of her. Probably thought she was giving him the come on by being so flirtateous. He sat at the end of the bar just waiting for her. My stomach turned when he added the 'honey' to his vocab trying to get her to stay. Arrgh...I totally hate Tucci. Poor guy is going to be forever banned in my mind becasue of this...and I was initially excited to see him join the cast. What a dope, I am.

kimmie1229

[19]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 3

BEST EPISODE OF THE SEASON!

I had chills throughout the entire episode. I cannot even count how many times I yelled "Abbbbyyyyy." I was completely dumbfounded by every thing that happened. From Abby showing up drunk to waking up with Moretti to yelling at the airport, this episode reminded me why Abby has been my favorite since Carol had those babies! Maura can act her ass off and I have been waiting to be shocked this whole season. Thank you Maura!!

By the way, am I the only one who reacted differently during the preview when they said "a familiar face"? I was hoping for Carter...She needs a meeting

gedgecomb

[20]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 2
    This was an extremely uncomfortable and sometimes disturbing episode to watch. Abby is clearly on the road to doom and gloom. I guess Abby will have to wait for another chief that she has to get use to not sleeping with. Did she ever sleep with Weaver? Anyway, powerful acting by MT. Abby's story line really rescued this uneventful episode. Her story was the only one I found interesting and it kept me from falling asleep. I barely remember what happened to the other characters. Are they trying to make Sam the new ER slut? First it was the policeman, now it's the a/c man. Who's next? Let me guess, the mailman. I know she wants to recapture the youth that she missed but damn!! Can't she do it without acting like she's auditioning for the next Girls Gone Wild video? Morris was his usual dumb self in the beginning and then showed his occasional serious side in the end. Real compelling television I must say. If that's how hot it was in November in Chicago, I'd hate to be there during the summer. I might end up like the wicked witch and melt!!! I can bet you anything that Gates and the chaplain are going to sleep together and I don't even have to read the spoilers. I pray to God that Neela can straighten out Harold and turn him into an adult. The poor kid needs his dirty diapers changed and Dubenko definitely doesn't want to play daddy(I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing daddy with Neela though). By the way, Moretti did not go there by sleeping with a married woman who was clearly intoxicated did he? Please tell me he didn't. I just can't imagine Abby kissing on that hairy chest. Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Edited on 11/09/2007 6:18am
    Edited 2 total times.