ER

Graduation Day

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Sep 28, 2006 on NBC

• Nice to see an update on Abby's mom. Shows that she is doing well. Didn't like Morris getting his job so easy.

Nice to see an update on Abby's mom. Shows that she is doing well. Didn't like Morris getting his job so easy. I'm an old fashioned ER fan and would like to see Benton back in at least one episode... maybe in an accident or something involved a family member. One time appearance at least. It would be great to get an update on Reese. This episode showed Tony's care towards Neela and not lust... good stuff. Uncle Jesse when wild throwing punches, liked it. I'm tired of Pratt... he's played and it's about time to get rid of him.
  • Troubles with little Joe...

Oh, it looks like little Joe is not doing too good. And when he shows marks of getting better, he is loosing it on the other minute and it gets even more worse when Abby and Luka, over weeks, just taking a walk when Joe condition gets worst but Maggie, who is really normal in the moment.

And then Joe goes for operation and it is long not sure what is the outcome of the operation. And Weaver.. she lets to laid off to protect Kovac. And Morris he is back.. and in the end, we have a lovely part with everyone around.
  • This episode lacks the quality of the previous one, "Bloodline". It's too fragmented in space and time, but even so it has some great acting and some lovely scenes.

Best scene: "The 'I'll take love' scene", Abby & Luka having coffe, talking about marriage. So sweet! And so meaningful for the future of their relationship.
    Funniest scene: Maggie putting up a note on the incubator, supposedly written by Joe. Sally Field is just the best actress!
    There is some lovely and friendly interaction between Abby and Maggie. They seem to start coming to terms with the problems of their past history and are obviously beginning to enjoy each other's company as mother and daughter. The scene at the end when Maggie says goodbye to Abby shows how far they have come.
  • I saw Episode 2 of Season 13. Twice! Here in Brazil we are a good way behind USA, so there are so many things to come.

The scene of Luka checking Joe in the ICU was the best of part of the episode. He looked so nice talking in Croatian to his son... And is it only me or our beloved one looks a little chubby? Well, maybe the scrubs that make him look like that...

About Abby - ok, she has gone through a lot, but come on, she is too much negative, too much \"oh-poor-me-so-many-bad-thing..\". Pull yourself together woman and have some faith, please...
  • what a great episode! sally field and john stamos are back! well written

i just loved this episode, i think the writting was pretty good. plus all the stories and characters developing through the weeks i think this is a very special episode. i think they did a great second part of the season premiere because in several other shows the second episode of the season is always a not-so-good episode comparing with the season premiere. i liked the scenes between abby and her mother, i hope sally field continues to appear in more episodes this season. finally, john stamos is back and thins start to heat up with neela, hopefully they will turn into a great cuple.
  • Joe's still in the NICU, Maggie's back, and say welcome to 'Uncle Jesse' as Tony Gates.

This episode was great. A little too fast, but great. Luka, Abby, Maggie and Joe - I loved to see them as a family. I'll admit I was not at all happy to see Maggie again (since I still blame her for the Carby breakup), but she was great! All the scenes with Maura Tierney and Sally Fields were amazing, they're both great actresses and have an unbelievable chemistry. Abby admitting her love for Luka, and how she thinks of them as a family was beautiful, and the last scene with Abby and baby Joe, perfect. I still don't know if I like or dislike Gates. It's sooo weird to see Uncle Jesse as a doctor hitting on Neela, but I love John Stamos, and it's always great to have an addition to the show. (The jealous look Ray gave Gates was gooood!!)

Good to have Sam back too, and good to see that there won't be any problems now that she killed Steve (ok, someone had to). Morris' back too, I can't believe I missed him! And Kerry's back to the ER, full time. Maybe now they'll give Laura Innes lines and storylines. Along with 'Bloodline', the perfect beginning to this new season!
  • This directly follows the first episode of the season and builds up to the conclusion of the plot concerning Baby Joe.

This is such a compelling episode following \"Bloodline.\" Great acting all around especially Maura Tierney, Sally Field and Goran Visnjic. It was really nice that the writers did not prolong the baby drama and was able to resolve it to everyone\'s satisfaction. Though it was contrived how they tried to show at first that the baby did not survive the operation, it was still a satisfying ending. Despite its old age ER still have the writing and acting chops to deliver and show that it\'s still one of the top dramas out there. Zabel, et al should be credited for turning this show from the lows that were seasons 10-11.
  • Day of Tests

Well this really brought everyones emotions to the forefront. We see Abby taking charge on how to treat the baby, Kerry stepping up to the plate and admitting her involvement with Lukas case, and Sam looking back and realizing what she did was wrong. I like how Maggie showed up and was the mother. She was there for Abby from beginning to end and actually got her through it. That was great. It is not all lost. And seeing Morris beg for his job back was priceless. Especially hanging onto Kerrys leg.
  • Please don,t let the baby die!!

This was a nervewrecking episode. Why would they let us think the baby died. My god even in the end you saw Abby in this room with an empty crib. But luckily she held him in her arms. Enough already happened to them. And poor Neela drinking alone in bars. Good for her she has two guys looking out for her. And what guys they are. With John Stamos as the newbie it is obvious it is going to be a competition between him and Ray. Hopefully the storyline between Sam and the rich guy(Armand Assante) will stay on a while, want to find out what is happening.
  • Definite Emmy nods to Maura Tierney & Sally Field.

I finally watched Graduation Day:

Luka/Abby/Joe/Maggie: Great to see Sally Field again, her scenes with Abby were so emotional and real. Really made me want to cry, for a minute I did. I especially loved the scene when Joe was getting surgery and Maggie and Abby were watching. When Abby ran into Maggies arms and cried I have to admit I sobbed like a little girl! It was great to see them getting along and bonding like mother and daughter. Abby was scared and fragile and the fact that her mother was behind her both physically and emotionally made her breakdown to her, and we see that deep down Abby really loves her mother. Definitely emmy nods to Sally Field (once again) and Maura Tierney, the acting was just amazing, the best I had seen on ER for a long time.

Neela/Gates/Ray: Neela's scenes were rushed. I believe ER could've waited until the next episode to focus more on this storyline. Because of the drama surrounding Baby Joe, this storyline was put into the background and I believe will turn into a important storyline. Anyway, I like Gates, but not with Neela. I still believe Neela and Ray should be together. It just didn't seem like Neela to get drunk and then kiss a man she barely knew. Kerry: Good on her for confessing, it was better the board found out that way rather than another, and let Luka get fired! I'm rather looking forward to seeing her as an attending, it means we'll get to see her treating more patients than ordering the staff around. Sam: Heartbreaking scenes, a great job done by Linda Cardellini. The scene where she came into the ER and hugged Kerry was my favourite Sam scene of the episode, but I never realised that she was that close to Kerry, there again Kerry was relieved to see her, and Sam was scared and upset. Morris: Not much to say about him, his acting was hilarious and... yeah, glad he got his job back. Fantastic scene at the end with the doctors looking at the pictures of baby Joe. Fantasic episode overall!
  • It was wonderful to see Sally Field return to the ER as Abby's mother...

It's been far too long, in my opinion, since Sally Field returned to the ER... and it was good to see her return. And it was good to see that Abby & her mother finally mend their broken relationship; it'd been some time since they'd worked on their relationship, and I'd wondered if there would ever be a time when they could learn to work things out together...

It took long enough to find out what happened to baby Joe, however... though I must admit it was a good way to end the episode... wait til the last possible minute to let the audience know what'd become of little Joe. Now we get to see how things turn out for Abby, Luka, & baby Joe...
  • A fine follow-up episode

I honestly don't think that any season has ever started with 2 better episodes than the first two of this season has. There are a few things in this episode that are annoying, but in general it's a great episode. One of the most moving scenes was when Sam comes into the ER, and when she tells Kerry she needs a rape exam. I was happy that Sam won't be charged with murder, but I don't like the way they went about it. I was happy to see that Joe is gonna be ok, that was a dramatic storyline. One complaint I have about this episode is that it's unclear about what happened with Kerry and Luka, I'm sure we will find out more about that we will learn more about that in the future.
  • I think that this is the episode that gets me back on track this ER! I haven't been a die hard watcher since Dr. Mark Greene (Anthony Edwards) left.

I’m glad to see that Joe pulls through and that nothing bad happens to him, they had me scared/mad for a minute! I thought that if he doesn’t make it, that I will NEVER watch this show again. The scenes between Abby and Maggie really showed how over the few weeks that the episode take place. It was just great how much their relationship had grown closer together. At the beginning, Abby is like I can’t believe she is here and is bothered by Maggie being there. They fight a little bit, Maggie tells her that she has to believe that her baby is going to be alright. It takes Abby breaking down to final show that she don’t know what to do and let go. At the end of the episode, they have happy good-bye to each other, Abby’s eyes got teary, and she even tells her that she can stay a little longer! Maggie tells her in a most heartfelt way that she is going to be great. It was great to see Maggie and Abby in this episode final get on to a good place in there relationship. The final scene was the best, honestly I thought Joe had died and when I saw the empty crib, I said that is it I hate ER and will NEVER watch this aweful show again. Luka was all like depressed and he said things that made you think that Abby was in the looney bin. Then when I saw Abby was sitting, so happy with Joe in her arms, gently rocking him. I was like, I LOVE THIS SHOW. ER is awesome. Then they go back to the party and Luka is showing off pictures and happy as can be. This is back to old school ER. I love it. I just miss Dr. Greene, if he would be back then I would even happier. The only thing I don’t think I’m going to like is John Stamos being a regular character. I think they are trying to force him in as a new love for Neela Rasgotra. She just lost the love of her life in the war and doesn’t need a new man. I hope that they don’t do that.
  • Abby e Maggie ma-ra-vi-lho-sas!!!!

amei mesmo esse episódio. Bom, ficou na cara que Bloodline teve mais emoção e mais "cho-ro-ro" né, mas isso não desmerece Graduation Day que foi um ótimo episódio em vários sentidos, principalmente pelos lindos momentos Abby/Maggie. As duas arrasaram meeeesmo!! Sally Field maravilhosa e a cena final foi a melhor, sem dúvida!!!
    No entanto, a história da Sam se desenvolveu rápido demais e foi tempo perdido mostrar a Neela com aquelas bobagens.
    No mais, um bom episódio!
  • very good

It was a very good episode!! I loved how they made it look like Baby Joe had died when he hadn't. I don't like that new guy and how he's making moves on neela. He seems like a bit of a dork. Anyways its kinda sad how Kerry got demoted back to an attending but I'd have to say she deserves it. I thought that she would actually let Luka get firedbut I am happy he didn't. I am happy that sam didn't go to jail... I wonder where her storyline is going???? And i wonder if something will happen with alex (like him turning violent or something) after what he experienced. Oh well we will find out!
  • Abby and Luka break down when Joe undergoes surgery and has to fight for his life. Neela continues to struggle with the loss of Gallant, Weaver is fired and Sam is set free.

Another one for the books. ER never stops to amaze me and I wonder after every episode how they manage to do it.

The one downfall, however, as many have stated, is the fact that the episode did seem rushed as they decided to span a month in one hour. I would have liked to see Neela struggle more, Joe fight a little more, I also would have liked to watch what happened with Weaver in the office.

There were many things that could have been elaborated on but nonetheless the writers kept my attention and interest and my heart the entire show. Abby, Luka, and Maggie were amazing in their storyline, they brought such emotion making it seem like they were actually fighting for a little baby's life. The acting from everyone on the show just seems to be getting better by the episode and perhaps they all took out a page from Parminder Nagra's book when her character lost Gallant, flawless performances that make this show one of the best on TV.

A lot went on but I'm left wondering now where the Neela/Ray/Gates storyline will go, if Gates manages to walk off the side of the earth I won't be sorely disappointed!

Also the question remains on who will be Joe's primary parent, will Abby be the stay-at-home mother or will she return to the ER and how will Luka fit into it all???
  • Something not quite right.

As much as I hate saying this...because I REALLY wanted it to be good......there was something just a little off with tonight's episode. After last week's awesomely acted drama (Emmy nods to Goran Visnjic and Maura Tierney for sure!) tonight's just didn't quite measure up. I expected so much more between Tierney and Sally Field. They usually play off one another so much better. I am inclined to think that they needed to pack too much story time into too little show time maybe?? Or the directing was just plain not there. I totally got the change in Abby's character though. It was fun to se Maggie driving other people nuts and Abby taking most of it in stride. I didn't expect that at all. I enjoyed the interactions between Abby and Luka. I didn't feel the angst for little Joe's situation this week as much as last week. The panic just wasn't there. Was that a directorial thing? I am also going to need a whole lot of convincing that Stamos is worth the money they are paying him. The show is already rife with characters to build upon. I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to get involved with him so did they really NEED him? I think not. Linda Cardinelli was awesome....understated and heartbreaking. Laura Innes is going to be a great new/old addition to the day to day ER workings. Morris as an attending??? The jury is still out on that one. I thought his running begging for the job theme was pretty juvenile.,,,but so very 'Morris'. Okay, okay...so I watched it again in taped video. The last scene between Abby and Maggie was beautifully done. But the roof top party?? I know they used to do it a lot in the old days but this one smacked of the Star Wars's celebration in the Ewok village.
  • awwwwww i love ER so much, this episode for me was the perfect way to get the episodes rolling after the premier!

WOW, how fabbb was this episode! i am so relieved joe pulls through, he had me scared for a minute!

its good to see the writers of ER are bringing back the golden oldies, Sally Fields was amazing is this episode; she was brilliantly annoying, yet at the same time the only thing that helped abby pull through!

the camera work was great in this episode. Abbys face when her mum came in was priceless, and when she was being wheeled out to the breat feeding group!! vey funny!

i am so glad that morris is back, i am seriously growing to love tht man, i think we should of seen some of jerry, but i wasnt too bothered coz we had lots of lovely shots with the gorgous luka! talking of luka, how sweet was it when he was telling abby about how he will convince het to marry him, but in the end he accepted love.awwwwww

im glad kerry has been demoted, shes been upstairs for too long, and now with her new hip theres nothing stopping her!

the final scene was the best for me, i honestly thought joe had died and nearly cried when i saw the empty cot...but like in good old ER style, it was a flook and abby was sitting, so contented with joe in her arms, gently rocking him!

this scene really showed how the past few weeks had brought abby and maggie closer together, because as they said good bye to each other, abbys eyes got very teary, and she even asked her mom to stay longer! ER has made a miracle! abby and maggie reunited!YAYYYYYY thankyou ER, and bring her back soon!!
  • Sally Field? Gates, Ray, and Neela? Morris is an Attending? What more could you ask for?

Abby, Kovac, and Joe's storyline was great...well, predicable, but Sally Field was awesome. She's always awesome. And I'm so glad she was able to come back for an episode. Now if only they could get Abby's brother, Tom Everett Scott to make another appearence and I would be content. Normally, I can't stand Morris, but seeing him beg on his knees was cathartic. I can't understand how he made it to attending though; he screws up all the time. But I am glad to see Pratt and Morris bury the hatchet and form a new grudge with someone else. My favorite part of the episode was actually very brief, Ray and Gates meet. I'm so glad that Neela made out with Gates and not Ray. In the long run this gives Ray a much better chance to ride off into the sunset with Neela. But the friction between Ray and Gates is so entertaining to watch. Get ready for one fabulous love triangle.