ER

Gut Reaction

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Apr 16, 1998 on NBC

• moving episode

This is a rare episode that keeps three riviting storylines going for an entire episode, and they are all good. The first storyline is the struggle to prepare for the ER banquet, and Mark and Jerry struggling to set it up. It starts out as a disaster, but in the end, everyone has a good time. The second storyline is the continuing saga of Dr Anspaugh's son's battle with cancer. He finds out that his only chance is to have an experimental chemotherepy treatment. He originally decides to do it because of Jeanie, but after a near death experience, he changes his mind. I loved that scene, it was so sad to see a 12 year-old losing a battle with cancer, and it was shown in the best way it could have been. The final storyline is a dispute in surgery between Drs Benton and Morganstern. I personally believe that Dr Benton handled it wrong, but that Dr Morganstern should not have covered himself the way he did. I always like the storylines that raise ethical questions like this one does. All in all, three great storylines combine to make a classic episode.