ER

Love is a Battlefield

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 22, 2009 on NBC

• Frankly, people making mistakes in relationships is not interesting. Overcoming them or other obstacles is, but a lot of the characters just seemed to be making stupid mistakes in this episode.

I would have quite liked to see what the men were feeling in this episode, other than general exasperation. This episode states that these two women, reasonable in every other aspect go completely mental when a boy comes along, and perhaps even worse, that they're perfectly entitled to. While Sam sabotages herself, Neela denies her feelings. All strung around an abused girlfriend as a patient-of-the-week storyline. Woo-hoo.

The Cop and Morris was nice, they have an interesting dynamic. This is the central thing, that the characters are all carrying around the emotional baggage of past storylines and the writing, at least in this episode, turns these characters into turgid misanthropes. They're doctor's and medicine is tough, but I want my characters to be brilliant and daring in relationships, at least some of them. You'd hope they wouldn't have to bring in a new character, like the cop, to have somebody who's not hopelessly self-involved.