ER

Out on a Limb

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Mar 16, 2006 on NBC

• Made me think!

I really enjoyed this episode for a number of reasons. I was looking forward to Luka and Abby, but then I always do, and I wasn’t disappointed there. They are slowly getting closer and closer and are now sharing things. Surely it’s only a matter of time before one of them says those three little words? The scene in the ambulance bay was sweet, with Abby begging to be allowed to worry and Luka offering to worry along with her. I love the chemistry between these two.

Poor Neela and her biohazard cookies! She was obviously upset to be told they were so awful, but thank goodness she found out before taking them along to the army spouses meeting. She had a bad enough time there as it was without poisoning them all.

Glad Pratt realised (with a little prompting from Neela) that he needed to own up to what he’d done for his friend. Luka handled the situation well; I think his carefully controlled anger was probably far more effective than shouting and ranting at Pratt would have been. I think Pratt is going to be in for a bit of a shock when he arrives in Africa. (I’d just like to add that Luka can discipline me anytime – he’s HOT when he’s angry!)

The storyline that really made me think was Kerry Weavers decision whether or not to have the surgery on her hip. At first I couldn’t see why she was putting it off, thinking that if she was in pain she would just want it fixed, but of course it is more complicated than that to her. She has never known life any different, has always been disabled and can’t imagine how her life will change or how she will define herself without her disability. Although the exact opposite, she was going through the same range of emotions that an able bodied person must go through if they become disabled. Thank you for making me think about her situation in a bit more depth.