ER

Sailing Away

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Apr 26, 2001 on NBC

• Very powerful.

This is mainly a review of the return of Abby\'s mother, Maggie, in this episode. At the start of the episode, Abby learns that her bi-polar mother has locked herself in a motel room in Oklahoma, and won\'t come out. The last time we saw Maggie (at the beginning of Season 7) she was in a manic \"high\". In this episode, she is in a depressive \"low\". We see here the other side of the bi-polar cycle.

I really felt for Abby in this episode. She is desperately concerned for her mother, but in typical Abby fashion, her defenses come way up. She argues with Luka over the best way to handle the situation, and ultimately takes Carter with her to Oklahoma to try to get her mother back to Chicago.

We see Abby tenderly bathing her mother, and then yelling at her in frustration because she won\'t leave the hotel room. Abby\'s emotions are all over the place, and one can certainly understand why.

Ultimately, Maggie steals some sleeping pills from a convenience store and overdoses on the drive back to Chicago. Luka, Carter and Abby all work to save her life. In the end, Luka tells Abby that her mother will be all right. The haunted look on Abby\'s face really emphasizes the last line of the episode, when she says, \"She\'ll never be okay.\" I thought this was an important episode in terms of Abby\'s development, as well as gleaning more information about her past. It was painful to watch in some places, but still a great episode. Terrific performances by Maura Tierney and Sally Field!