ER

Strange Bedfellows

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Mar 30, 2006 on NBC

• Something different

I loved the story here - those different layers of motion and action, the way everything developed.

This was very char centric episode - first the whole thing around Neela and the complex situation she finds herself. She cannot say she did not see the signs - she was just blind for them.

And Luka and Abby.. and Africa. When Luka mentioned Africa it was so like deja vu with Carter. He just disappeared there and left she when she needed the most. And for a while it looked the same but the way Luka solves it - well done. And I am very happy they are not dropping that Darfur storyline after one episode - and those Africa episodes. They have been my favorites.
  • I thought this was a good episode but....

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

This was a good episode but i was very worried that Luka would end up leaving Abby and going to Africa. I was very much hoping that he wouldnt be stupid enough to go and leave her with the baby on her own (he might die again). I was so glad when he decided that he wouldnt't go. I didn't really like Luka to start with and if he had left Abby then that would have got me really mad at him. He has always wanted a family and now Abby is prgnant and there was the possibility of him leaving again. Anyway he didn't leave and sent Pratt instead so im happy. ER is a great show and everyone should watch it.
  • And by flashback, I mean for me personally.. and Abby... and maybe some Luka too... and Pratt? Well, generally, all the characters were having flashbacks while this episode progressed.

Though I was rather upset that Luka would even consider going back to Africa, I have to give him credit for his ultimate decision. But putting myself in the character of Abby, I can't believe how calmly she took it. She hides everything she feels, which I think is terrible, but I can't really blame her for. So I'm Abby. This Croatian Sensation dumped me a few years ago because I've been obviously crushing on the cute American. The American takes forever to actually make any move on me, and once he does, the fun we used to have together begins to fade as he is suddenly overparanoid with my drinking. So now my ex Croatian decides to take some leave in Africa to be a good samaritan. A scary thought, really, but at least my Mr. America's still here. But then, what's this? Mr. America (which for confusion purposes, we'll now refer to as 'Carter') rushes off to side-kick Croatian Sensation (which we'll code-name 'Luka'... don't ask why o.O...)
    and what happens? Well my Carter returns, but then my ex 'Luka' suddenly dies, thus making Carter leave me... again... (and let's just rub in that my life hasn't been so great before this day...) So now ex-Luka-less and current-Carter-less I sit alone in a hospital in Chicago while the two loves of my life so far are dieing away in Africa. Luka returns from the dead, only to have Malaria, and also happens to have a special letter written from a "found" Carter. The break up. Hmm... So Africa signifies for me: Dead/Malaria Luka, Carter leaving me literally, then Carter leaving me sexually... So today, after gaining several pounds to my ex-Luka's mutant croatian seed, I am confronted with Luka wanting to return to the country that symbolizes only loss and death to me?

So, yes, it bothered me when he even considered going, but my favorite scene in the entire episode is when Abby confronts him about how she feels. I love that he doesn't cut in on her, but rather, waits until she's finished to tell her the good news. Her reaction is priceless. (One of my favorite things about Tierney's acting.) But my favorite part of the entire scene, is Abby's spilling her thoughts. I can't decide if it's the acting or the lines, but something about that speech makes me sparkle.

And the line "to help me with the baby?" ... again, the perfectly placed, unintentional jokes.

So the entire episode was great, but Luka and Abby were the only things I could remember enough to actually write about. (You can see where *my* mind is!)
  • They are making everything so perfect!

This season is ER at its best. This episode was like the good old days, with everything of wonderful that only the ER people can do. (And this review is all about the characters)

I have to start with Abby and Luka, because that was about everything ER fans have been moaning about since the end of season 9. When Luka tells Abby Carter asked him to go to Darfur I was like "Oh, not again!". Last time, when Carter told Abby he was going to the Congo, she was upset, but not like this time. This time she was really hurt. So hurt she was ignoring Luka throughout the episode. In the end, she goes to him for a talk and tells him she doesn't have the right to be upset, as they're not married or even living together. But Luka tells her he's sending Pratt. Because he wants to be there for her and the baby. Oh, my. He is the sweetest man on Earth, or what? I love Luka, so does Abby, and that is SO great.

For the first time since season 10, it was nice to see Sam. She moved to this huge house and is seriously doing her job, like the good nurse she is, and I think it's nice of ER to show that, the rich people, left alone by their own children, who need the help of a caring, young nurse. But Alex's participation on the episode was totally useless. They should forget Samantha (so cool to see Mr. Elliot calling her 'Samantha'!) has that son.

Neela was great this episode, with her in-laws (so weird to see Neela as someone's daughter-in-law, I kind of forget she's a married lady now). Mr. and Mrs. Gallant are so nice, and it was so awful to see they're separating. Mrs. Gallant little passing of wisdom to Neela was beautiful. It must be an awful situation to be married to a soldier and moving all the time. Certainly love must not be enough. =(

Ray was WOW. He tells Neela about his feelings in his own way, and it was so amazing. "I wish I didn't feel this way". It said everything, and Parminder Nagra's expression while she heard it just said the same. Really subtle and beautiful.

And Pratt, disgusting with Olivia, disgusting with his reaction to Luka's order that he was going to help Carter in Darfur, but still good to the show. Not everyone can be nice all the time, and I'm sure Pratt's going to come back really changed after this experience.

Truly amazing episode.
  • When I say \'silly\', I mean the characters!

This episode was one of idiocy, but also contained some good moments. The prizes for the three biggest idiots must be awarded to Luka, Pratt and the Police.
    Luka - come on!! Do you really think it would be acceptable to your pregnant girlfirned (dumped by a letter from Africa previously) if you just jumped on to a plane for a month or more again???? And what gives him the right to send Pratt to a different country!!!
    The writers definitely got the Luka writing wrong in this episode. I mean, there are certain fundamental truths about the character they seemed to have forgotten, such as his history (in that his family were killed when he was \'away\') and that he really really wants this baby and is supposedly cherishing every moment of it. Given the circumstances of his past in Croatia, certainly, I just don\'t think there would be any way he would even have entertained the notion of going to Africa for more than 15 minutes, tops, let alone suggest it to the pregnant girl-friend.
    Pratt - why did he have to do it? I thought he was happy with Olivia (who by the way, looks a lot younger with straight long hair). This is so writers backtracking on his progress.
    I think with Pratt, the writers probably realised it would have to be him going to Africa early on. And they got to this stage and suddenly realised \"Uh oh, Pratt is happy with Olivia, why would he go to Africa now? I know, lets just make him a total prat for an episode, break him and Olivia up and allow the real growth to take place in Africa\". I still think that\'s annoying though. I thought he was past cheating on someone so supposedly special (for she must be, considering his complete misery whenever she was connected to his father).

The Police - Well, that part was only to be expected. I guessed the man was deaf from the first moment we saw him|!!! And it was so incredibly sweet when he was hugging the girl and she said he was the only one in her life who ever listened to her.
    Jerry - he was great, but why does ER always bestow such brilliant skills on all of its characters whenever the occasion happens to arise?
    Sam - be careful!! You had better have some kind of second plan in case this doesn\'t work out.
    Gallant\'s parents were excellent...I can see trouble coming for Neela and Gallant. I loved the mother\'s advise. I must say, it\'s lovely to see such a strong principled Neela though. She and Ray are excellent friends, but her leaving really displays her dignity, and effort to keep her marriage working. And Ray was very sweet.
    What\'s with Morris being sought-after? I didn\'t quite get that part...
    Best mini-parts:
    Luka: I\'m sending Pratt
    Abby: To help with the pregnancy?
    Luka: To Darfur
    Jerry\'s comment about no intepretation needed

• Moral of the story: Don't judge too quickly

There are a lot of things happening in this episode, but there is one that particularly sticks in my mind. I think the point is that they want you to assume that the kid is a gang member who tried to kill that girl, but that turns out to be totally wrong. The message that it sends is that we judge to quickly and we shouldn't. This is the best storyline of that type in ER history. I loved the scene where he flips off the cop. The rest of the episode is good also, I am a little surprised taht we hadn't met Gallant's parents yet, but it would cool in this episode. Pratt's situation is interesting, I was glad to find out that he's gonna be an attending next year. Overall this was a very good episode with a positive message.
  • This was a great episode.All the new storylines that are going on.Not sure about some of the hookups that are going on.I like the whole new thing with Sam.I hope she doesn't get hurt.Neat how it is now more then just the er scene.Great show!

Great episode!I was a little worried at first about Luka going off and joining Carter all I could think of was poor Abby.I really hope that is a Happy ever after couple.Their characters are really good together they fit.
    And I\'m glad it is Pratt going instead.Hopefully it would be a good thing for him.I like his character but lately he seems to be getting a little messy.So maybe this will give him some insight.
    And what is the deal with Neela and Ray?Like I really don\'t want them to end up together.She and Gallant were so good together at first.What happend?
    Anyway,all in all great episode.Ilike all the different story lines.
  • Luka wants to go help Carter in Africa, and Abby's disappointed. He later decides to send Pratt as punishment for switching blood vials. Sam starts work for Elliot.Neela moves out, most likely because she has feelings for him, leaving Ray lonely and depr

I liked this episdoe quite a bit. Neela was the star of this episode, though. Back in the ER, she is visited by her in-laws, Colonel Gallant and his wife. They spend time together, and she gets a glimpse of what it will be like to be a wife to a husband in the military, particularly the relocating. Mrs. Gallant gave a rather powerful speech to Neela about not giving up who she is, and don't let anyone stand in the way of that. It was wonderfully acted and heartfelt, bravo to Sheryl Lee Ralph. It was saddening to see her move out. It was one of those moments when your heart ached because you know two people should be together. Ray realized that he fell for her, and tried her best to get her to stay, and his expression at the end was saddening.

I'm glad that Luka isn't going to Africa, and how Abby finally discussed (a little bit) their relationship together. However, I think it was absurd that Luka sent Pratt to Africa. "It's not a request." That was a bit lame to me.

Overall, a fantastic episode, due mostly in part to Neela, the Gallants, and Ray.
  • Strange Bedfellows episode was very good for several characters in-depth development. I\'d like to see more development for Dr. Ray Barnett.

I was very pleased to see a deaf character was added to the cast this episode. Additionally, it was encouraging to see the character of Dr. Ray Barnett recognize Deshawn\\\'s attempt to communicate. It seems to me Ray is the perfect character to notice the essence of a patient\\\'s body language, as he is a more intuitive persona. I would like to see more shows incorporate deafness in daily life of their characters.

Unfortunately, the representation of a sign language interpreter was extremely poor. As a deaf person who requires an interpreter during any emergency situation such as this, I have only been provided with a professionally trained sign language interpreter, though an on-site interpreter is a very rare instance.
  • It was great all around. It will be interesting to see what happens with the couples and triangles...

It was definitely one of the better episodes of the season. There were a lot of resolved issues, as well as one issue that was just pushed aside, and not really dealt with- Ray and Neela. Everyone knows that Ray is in love with Neela, and that Neela has had feelings for Ray since last season... it will be interesting to see how this issue is resolved in the episodes to come... It was nice to see that Kovac is ready to become a dad (again), and that he is not going to abandon Abby, even if it were going to only be for a few months. Over all, it was a great episode!!!

~Supergirl
  • The writers of ER know how to step it up a notch.

This was an excellent episode. I really hope they put Neela and Ray together soon, they have such great chemistry. ALso, I loved the back & forth with Luka & Abby over his going to Darfur. And at the end, when he told her he wasn't going and she started to walk out of the room and went and kissed him was great. Also, the deaf kid and Ray picking up on him being deaf was well acted. The really should give Jerry more time, I thought he did well with his part. Also, I thought it was fitting for Luka to send Pratt to Darfur. I mean he really deserves it for the things he has done lately.
  • very good episode.

This episode proves....once again that Abby and Luka make an excellent couple. He was needed in Darfur, but he could easily tell that Abby did not want him to go, so he didn't. He didn't let down his commitment, though, he sent Pratt. I'm actually glad that he sent Pratt, because Pratt deserves it. He was a jackass.

Once again I have to say that I love Luka and Abby together, and I hope eventually they will get married or something. They are perfect together and you can easily tell that Luka is so over Sam and she isn't over him.. Well who's fault is that for not wanting kids.

Luka and Abby...you guys rock!
  • ER, amazingly enough, is still going strong!

This episode was very well written. A lot was going on in it. Two car crash victims come, one is deaf. The police attacked the deaf man who was rushing his girlfriend to the hospital, because she got in trouble with Ecstasy. The police apologize to him and explain that they thought he was flashing gang signs. Pratt cheats on Olivia and is sent to Darfur, against his will, in the place of Luka, who stays with Abby. Abby, before she knows Luka is staying and not going to Africa, confesses that she doesn't want to do "this" alone and that she is scared. Ray confesses his feelings for Neela who has a shocking visit with gallant's parents, who tell her that they are separating. Gallant's mother tells her to stay in Chicago no matter what Gallant wants, and to stay true to herslef, which I think kind of scares Neela. And Morris is a jerk.
  • top notch

I don't know how they do it but ER keeps getting better these season, Luka and Abby are great and slowly but surely they are leading up to I love you, I am supriseing myself and wanting Neela Ray, the story with the deaf boy was great and very well acted, liked the way Luka dealt with Pratt, over all an excellent episode
  • i hope ER stays on the air for another ten more seasons. . .that's what good tv is all about. it's not so much the storylines but the characters that makes it so worthy to tune each thursdays. i especially enjoyed this one, in particular, neela & ray.

i was so hoping ray would have kissed neela before she left the apartment or even before she had gotten in the cab. i thought mike and neela were good together, but her and ray have greater chemistry together instead. more so than abby and luka. *urgh* i think it's a wonderful story love triangle that the writers ought to have it be explored more. but speaking about luka, i wonder if he still loves sam. it's obvious he still cares about her, and it only made sense for them to break up seeing how she didn't want to have any more kids. but i hope the writers don't decide to do a love angle with her and this sick rich guy. even though armande assante is definitely a classic HOTTIE! lol

i felt bad for the hearing-impared guy being attacked by them idiot cops. . .and even funnier when he even flipped them after their phoney apology. i'm jst shocked they showed it. . .middle finger and all. but that's what makes it more real.

sucks that we gotta wait for a whole month until a new epi. . .i can't believe this season will soon be over.

great show, once again.
  • I can't believe that the censors allowed them to show a kid giving the finger to a cop.

A solid ER episode. This season is better than the last one. Much more character development than in the past. The whole dynamic between Neela and Ray reaches a head. Luka orders Greg to Africa to help Carter.... They have definitely revitalized the show. They've finally figured out that it's the characters and stories that matter, not big explosions and plane crashes (although I did love seeing that one doctor get crushed by the helicopter a few years ago...)
    If it follows the general pattern, next season will be horrible. Now I have to waste ten words to finish this.