ER

The Book of Abby

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2008 on NBC

• Bye Abby and Lucas

The writers didn't make me cry at Pratt's death but their farewell to Dr. Lockhardt made me melt...

With Abby and Lucas leaving this is definitely the end of an era. I know that season 15 is supposed to be the final one but with those departures this episode can be considered as a pre-series finale. Just like with most of the ER characters leaving - aside from Ray - the goodbye to Abby is perfect. Maura Tierney is awesome and she nails every scene she's in - and in this episode she's in every scene. All ER fans will have probably touched by the nostalgic scene with the name tags and the allusion to Carter. Lucas doesn't have a line but his eyes say it all.

Just a shame that we didn't have a farewell party but that was not in the Abby's spirit anyway. Her goodbyes with Neela were regret. I've always been sorry to see that they have been growing apart over the latest seasons while their friendship was so great in seasons 9 and 10. Even though I was less enthusiastic about the show with the last seasons I have to say that this one rocks so far. I expect the writers to give us a great finale, like the great finale this amazing show deserves.