ER

There Are No Angels Here

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM May 04, 2006 on NBC

• Welcome Dr. Pratt, who recently learned what life means by working in Africa.

When I first found out that Carter would appear again, I was very happy, even tough it'd be in Africa. And when I found out Pratt'd join him in Africa, all I could think was that ER'd be boring again, like in season 10.

I had no idea how good this episode would be.

Many people hate Pratt, I was always indifferent to him. But when comparing him to the other County doctors in Africa, Kovac and Carter, as characters and as actors, Greg Pratt/Mekhi Phifer, was unbelievably better. He showed the emotion, the fear and the distress the other two never knew how to. He learned in two episodes to be a better person and doctor. Without knowing, Pratt already knew (in a different way) how and why those people are so badly treated, as he himself grew up being bullied for being black. Carter's the rich boy. Kovac's the sucessful doctor. Those little outburts of sadness of their african experiences never touched anyone. But an African-American doctor helping people like him, and knowing exactly what to do or say (even tough he's been arrogant forever) was amazing.

Take Carter, Dakarai and Debbie away, and this episode'd have been perfect. Once upon a time, there was John Carter, who was funny and who all people loved. Now I can't stand my once favorite ER character. He's SO boring. And the whole Debbie-Dakarai romance, and his disease, were completely unnecessary to the episode.

Pratt was the man. He fought for that pregnant lady like he never did for anyone at County. He acted like a man when he tought the Janjaweed had killed Dakarai, and not like a spoiled boy as Carter (when he tought Kovac was dead). Sometimes he didn't understand what was going on, or why they had to let some things happen, but instead of getting used to them (like Carter and Kovac did), he adapted his own ways to these situations. He kept walking with a sick woman in the middle of the desert. He kept working even tough he was tired (and with none of that mouthwasher/vodka left, very Pratt-y, by the way). He was very African.

The episode ends with a little boy holding Pratt's hand and walking with him. In a way, the little boy was thanking those writers for having finally written a good episode in Africa, for finally showing us how the situation is in a true way, for finally giving Pratt a wonderful episode, for finally making us realize that, even tough all of the good old characters left us, they can always make the new ones just as amazing.
  • Good cry now and then.

I have just no words for episodes like these. It was very deep and sad as they try to portray one of the most horrible humanitarian disaster on the world.And the manage it - on the level of the old good ER. It was so fantastic to see Carter again - like nothing had changed from the time he used to be around.

So, it was really great episode. The whole danger, the atmosphere, the excitement (if it can be said)... It was just amazing episode. And oh.. I cried.. if not the whole episode then most of the time. Very moving and that's why I love ER
  • This was ok but I\'m not so sure if I can cope with 4 more!

7.9
    Ok, hated the first 10 minutes and didn\'t have very high hoped - I *shock horror* even left the room and started playing tetris on my brother\'s gameboy, and trust me, that kind of behaviour is normally forbidden when it comes to ER....

However, it did get a lot better. I just think the end was a bit of a cop-out. Was that guy (forgotten his name) supposed to have walked all the way back? Puhlease! ER totally avoided any political points then, by making the endinmg miraculous and happy which seems rather pointless as I have my suspicions Gallant is going to die in the name of politics next week anyway.

Oh, and where oh where is Kem? I don\'t exactly like her, but if Carter left ER and America for her it would at least be nice to know why he\'s living in Africa and she\'s nowhere near...I thought the whole point of their love is that it transcends all earthly things and allows them to be together all the time regardless of death, politics etc. Ooooh, is she dead? Hmmmm....

Are we going to see any more Africa or will we next see Pratt back home, a brief conversation with Kovac and that\'s it...Or...will we get another four episodes nect season

Hmmmm...overall, yeah, it was ok. Still not as good as the season 10 ones, I think it was placed in the wrong place in the season. And I just don\'t think ER will ever be able to drive any messages home to us as well as films like Hotel Rwanda managed to. They just seemed to chicken out at the last minute. Everything seems far too dependent on our feelings towards particular characters.
  • Every now and then, it is okay to get out of Chicago.

I know, I know. So many of you have decided that ER should not be taking an hour out of its 22 episodes-a-season life to shoot an episode in Africa. I get it. As a matter of fact, I thought about this way for quite a while.

And then I heard someone tell me the other day that they had no idea where Darfur is and what is going on there. I am now grateful that I got to learn more about an ever-increasing problem going on in this world.

Okay, so now for everything else. I liked this episode. It\'s not my favorite, but for one of those \"in Africa\" episodes, it was well done.

It was nice to see Carter again, even if it wasn\'t really interacting with everyone back in Chicago. I about fell off the chair when Pratt started telling him about LUBY. What disappointed me a little bit is Carter\'s reaction to the news. COuldn\'t TPTB have written him a little more reaction? Maybe a little bit of shock? Or a little bit of questions that the old Carter might have asked? Even if he has changed quite a bit after being in Africa, Carter was still written a little out of character.

All in all, this was an okay episode. I was drawn to Dakarai and Debbie, and many of the other characters that are not the norm on ER. The last scene was quite touching, where the little boy grabbed Pratt\'s hand and pulled him along, and the humor with Carter telling Pratt that he\'s not paying for the Jeep.

And the music really set the mood for the show. Whoever is in charge of that area is brilliant.
  • I don't usually watch ER - it doesn't have a big enough range for me. But this episode was absolutely mind-blowing in it's execution, and I loved it.

This didn't feel a lot like a TV series - more like a mini film. It was certainly to the level of one - the plot was perfectly balanced and I don't think I've ever seen a more well drafted script in a US tv show.

They managed to reflect a lot of complex problems without labouring the point, and evoke pathos to characters we've never seen before in minutes. That's special, and you couldn't do this every day - the level of talent assembled for this is staggering.

Some parts of this show were also very beautiful, but the end seemed to sweet to be real - perhaps they were trying to avoid being oversweet.

Compressing such a complex story into an hour made it a bit hectic at times, but it did cram several good stories into an hour successfully and is one of the best pieces of TV I've seen in a long time.
  • been there done that

4.3
    another africa episode but unfortunately, this one was focused around pratt ( my least favorite character). I wish they would stop showing these episodes becaus ethey are extremely boring and dont add to the general plot of the whole series. The third last episode is not a good place to have an episode that isn't even in the ER. Honestly I hope this is the last african episode... please writers it is enough...

The only good part was that Carter was in this episode ***I love Carter*** He should come back to the er. Even with hime in the episode it was still really boring.
  • A very moving episode. Is incredible that this show hasn't end it yet, after so many important characters left. If it's true is going to be another season, i think they'll be "doing a X-Files" move. I don't think there's anything new to talk about on it.

Even thought i believe the show should end before getting impossible to watch (thus destroying all good years of it, like what happened to X-Files), they are still coming up with good stories. But i believe they've covered every kind of situation possible, from train wrecks, to biohazards and even helicopter crashes, they've shown every kind of disease imaginable..if they keep stretching this show, they will have to create new ones.

And when the show gets boring, they show Gallant's life in Iraq, or they bring back Carter, from Africa.
  • Why is it called "E.R." again?

It's funny, but when I tune in to something called "E.R.", for some strange reason, I expect to see something vaguely resembling...ohhh...say...an Emergency Room. I guess you could say we did--briefly--somewhere in here, but certainly not one that resembles the one that I generally watch ER for.

It's great that they're trying to highlight the plight of the people in Darfur, and I applaud them for that, but honestly, one episode was far more than enough to do that. We saw nothing in this episode that we haven't seen in EVERY other Africa-based episode.

This episode adds nothing whatsoever to the series, in my opinion, and only makes me feel like I've wasted an hour of my time to watch it.
  • This was a well done episode.

Wow! I think Pratt may finally get that the whole world doesnt revolve around him. I was glad to see that Dakaria was not killed and made his way back to the village. Hopefully, he will get some help for his illness. Carter is doing his usual fine job and I liked how he faked the \"police\" into thinking the guy they had been treated for a gunshot wound was dead, so they could take him back to treatment center and I am glad his wife made it too. What Pratt did probably saved her life at the possible cost of all of their lives. Can\'t wait to see next weeks episode.
  • Pratt discovers more about Darfur and learns that risks need to be taken in order to see results.

This episode had lots to offer in terms of the real situation in Darfur, and in that respect was very revealing and at times difficult to watch b/c one realizes the reality and the fact that genocide and death and turmoil are taking place in this world.

The writers did a great job at crafting the individual stories: Dakarai, the family of three and Pratt's mini journey.

As I said in the forum I think something was lacking from the storyline, in particular a clear progression in Pratt's learning. There just wasn't a definitive moment or scene where one really saw a change in a Pratt, though I hope we will see one when he returns to the ER.

Don't know how this episode fairs in going into the final two but nevertheless there is a lot of reverence that can be placed on a show and writers that take an issue and put it in the forefront of an otherwise blinded society.
  • I love ER but it has been done before.

I like some of what ER tries to do with going to Africa, but enough already. We have been there before and we have seen this already. How many new doctors do they need to pull over there before the writers think we get it. They have a problem over there. OK, I understood the first time you went. I understood when Kovac was there, when Carter was there the first time. The ER needs to revolve around the County General ER, that is why we come back year after year, through cast changes and all. Please writers, you do have stories to tell there also.
  • It was one of the best eposides this season. It was really good. It got me on the edge of my seat. I was yelling a the tv.

It was a great eposide. It has me yelling at the tv because of the police arresting a guy who has been shot and not treat until Carter comes along and trys to save him. Those cops are pain in the butt. This is way we should help those people out there. I'm glab people are seening this now instad of 5 to 15 years by now.