ER

What We Do

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Mar 05, 2009 on NBC

• Claudia gets shot

In this episode of ER, the following happens. In order to impress his new girlfriend Claudia, Morris paints his apartment, when she goes off to work. When she gets there, she gets shot. Also in this episode, a documentary is being made about the ER. When Frank realises that neither him nor Jerry will be in the documentary he gets upset and sets about doing his own documentary, with the help of Jerry. Claudia is taken to the ER and soon everyone realises that she and Morris "have a thing". Neela goes round to see Morris and he accidently tells her about Simons past. She leaves and Morris gets the phone call about Claudia and he rushes to the ER. Carter collapses in the trauma room. Soon people realise that Carter is on dialysis. Soon Carter gets worse and he crashes/codes but luckily the team manage to bring him back. Simon and Neela have a discussion and she tells him that they aren't meant to be together. Carter soon gets moved to another hospital, for more treatment. Claudia's operation went well and Morris tells her about her condition even though she is still unconscious, although she does answer him by squeezing his hand when he mentions having kids. Also in this episode, Sam starts spending more time with her mother and soon I can see why Sam left home and never went back. Her mother is one nasty character, who I wouldn't like to cross.
  • A perfect balance of drama and humor, and a very well acted show.

Awesome episode. This perfect balance of drama, humor and trauma scenes is exactly the reason why I fell in love with this show. "The few, the proud.. the desk clerks!" yes, that's a classic. The plot of the video being made by Jerry and Frank for the "unsung heroes" of the ER was so funny and so essential ("quintessential!" Carter would say...) in this episode. The scene showing the cleaning lady talking about how important her role was, and the camera slowly drifting away to show Carter's face was one of the highlights of the episode. And an old music theme from early season was used when Jerry was shown in slow motion getting an injection for the allergic lady! Really nice touch here! The interviews' scenes were very well acted, and well spread throughout the episode. They gave good insights about the characters' feelings. And it was unusual and a bit mesmerizing to see the actors look straight at the camera. Noah Wyle in the first interview was wonderful. His face when saying "That sounds pretentious?" was another highlights of the show! He was also incredible in the last scene, turning off the alarm, smiling enigmatically, and then showing pain in his eyes. That last scene was a bit mysterious, letting the audience wonder about what he was meaning exactly. Was he really talking about his view on his work, or did the writers put in his mouth what they had been trying to do with the show? More about Carter: here is a man who has experienced more than many people in one lifetime. He's been through a lot, has seen suffering in the ER and in Africa probably as much as you can see in one lifetime. Carter is a relatively young guy, who has the experience of a man in his eighties and who now also has the failing body of an elderly. Kudos again to Noah Wyle for putting so much in Carter's eyes. He looks almost resigned about his declining health, with this enigmatic mysterious stance of someone who's lived enough.

Another highlight of the episode: Archie Morris. He's become the perfect ER doc. He is caring, manages to keep a cold head in the dire situation, trusts his colleagues and is a real team-player. He "sets the tone". The lingering story about Sam and her mother is a waste of time in my opinion. The ragged breathing of Sam's mom is annoying to listen to, and this lady looks way too angry and bitter to raise any sympathy. The scene with Gates where she admits that she wants to reconnect with Sam was a bit redeeming, but not much. The next episode looks like it will live up to this one!
  • This was amazing.

I hate the fact that I got into this show so late, but I've been spoiled so much not with the content of the episodes but the sheer awesomeness that has come out of these last couple of weeks. I loved how the episode started and ended with Carter. I loved how morris trashed lked that Med Student because it goes to show that Carter is his friend and doesn't want anyone in the way. I also like the carter-Gates rivalry and how they seem to butt heads everytime they work on a patient. I have to say that Jerry and Frank were both hilarious in this episode "The ffee, the proud....The Desk Clerks." How much more awesome can it get than that? Anyway, I think we're all in for a treat next week.
  • A really big and amazing episode..

This was a episode what had the feeling that end is coming.. and that was so dark and depressing in some way, but in other way the massiveness of things they did.. it worked.. everyone was evolving, on turning points. What comes next comes.. and they have set a perfect set..

I so much enjoyed the interviews.. When I first heard that this episode has that "theme" I was.. not again one of those episodes that so many shows to about looking things live.. they have done it in earlier season.. and I was not too amazed.. but they did something totally different.. they had that amazing sense of emotion through this time. To have those chars talk out about what they think.. about their work.. about themselves. It was priceless. Specially Carter.. and even if I mostly dislike Brenner.. he really made it trough to me.. that pain.. suffering.

In overall - it was one really huge episode.. having so many storylines, so many developments.. and I enjoyed every piece of it.
  • The few, the proud...the desk clerks! Morris faces a crisis and lands on his feet. Carter faces a crisis and lands on his face.

Something wonderful is happening on ER in these last few episodes. The stories are quieter and calmer with real issues/resolutions and real character development. The comedy actually makes sense. Archie's girl is shot, is intubated, has surgery and survives intact. He faces a crisis and becomes the Archie Morris we all knew he could be. Strong, emotional and steady. Scott Grimes totally rocked it tonight. Totally. Neela learns the Brenner has a secret he refuses to share with her and calls it quits. Loved her interview enlightenment about why she prefers surgery to the ER. Thought provoking and her character in a nutshell. David Lyons did a wonderful job with Brenner's tortured soul this week. I actually felt sorry for him. Sam's mother continues to push her limits....and Sam - surprisingly - refuses to walk away. Nice stuff with Amy Madigan and Linda C this week. Even nicer stuff between Amy Madigan and John Stamos. (Although he totally needed a shave. Looking like the rabies guy again.) Noah Wyle has done a great job exhibiting Carter's slow descent into kidney failure. He's sick. He's lonely. He's tortured. He'll bounce back. He is the 'soul' of the show.....right?

But the best thing of all in this already wonderful episode was the screen time given to Chuny, Haleh, Grady, Frank and Jerry. They'll be missed as much as the big hooha stars. Maybe even more......